Brit orders final drink - then jumps from seventh floor of Bangkok hotel restaurant

webfact

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, robblok said:

I just know that Americans are quite religious and that you can't do it over there. I also know that in my country the people against euthanasia are in general the Christians. So i just put one and one together. Now I am sure there are Americans that are pro euthanasia but obviously not enough.

Euthanasia is 80%if not more popular in Australaia,but do you thing we can get those scaredy cat pollies to get it legal,not on your nelly

2 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

A recent survey among healthcare professionals found that almost ALL health problems are caused by a drug deficiency. A pity that the man had not found the right doctor to discuss his needs.

Drug deficiency? Which ones, steriods, HGH, cocaine, heroin? :shock1:

Edited by bbi1

6 hours ago, claffey said:

I am not a fanatical Christian but I find your comments disturbing. Suicide or Euthanasia or whatever you want to call it is a cowards way out. If you have no family or responsibility then OK. But if you are leaving behind wives, children and other family then you are a coward. I also believe euthanasia should be illegal as life is precious as is the life of your family. By doing this you are destroying their lives too... As for jumping from a high building. Wouldn't it be easier and less gruesome to take an overdose of something...A cowards way out...

Don't know if I'd call someone a coward who can step over the railing of a building 7 floors up and jump.

My father, post stroke, was on a 'Liverpool' pathway. A dieing by dehydration and malnutrition. Took 21 days watching him waste.  His eyes cast over family members wondering "what are you doing to me"...

He was a doctor and we had had a clear, family discussion re DNR. He was adamant he wanted a clean exit but these exits with 'right to lifers' are just not clean. His outlook was clean. 

After 21 days, yep 21 days of no water or food, just moistened swabs, we got a sympathetic doctor to ask us to rephrase his concerns. My sister piped up and said she was sure 'Dad was "in pain" '. Morphine raised and gone 15 minutes later.

My point is that it was not the dignified end we planned as a family,  to a great life. All staff knew the options in this case but hamstrung by moral legislation. 

And that is the (non)assisted side of this argument. 

Suicide and depressive illnesses for other reasons just should be left to the  'there but for the grace of God..." Just cannot know. 

How can you say you walk in another person's  footsteps and be able to comment so righteously/ Cannot/

4 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Have no idea why Thailand has lots of peeps wanting to jump off balconies to their death. Never really heard of peeps jumping off balconies to die in my home country.

Maybe the 'peeps" can't find a balcony higher than one story.

38 minutes ago, JAG said:

I was for many years. There are Catholic teachings on the subject of "The Just War", which are reflected in "The Hague Convention". It is complex theology, which I can't/won't debate . I'm busy this evening but will drop you a pm in due course to explain my position.

JAG, I was in no way condemning you, you have your convictions and reasons. You can still drop me the PM as I am curious and do like to know about it I can only learn from it. However I won't really debate it with you as personal conviction and religion are just that personal and not good for debate. I am not against religion as long as it does not directly impact me in a negative way. 

6 minutes ago, louse1953 said:

Euthanasia is 80%if not more popular in Australaia,but do you thing we can get those scaredy cat pollies to get it legal,not on your nelly

I am sorry, i did not really understand what you are saying, there is some slang there that i just don't get.

4 minutes ago, robblok said:

I am sorry, i did not really understand what you are saying, there is some slang there that i just don't get.

He's saying the politicians are scaredy cats (too scared) to make it legal. "Not in your nelly" means "not on your life", it's not a reference to the hip hop rapper Nelly lol

Edited by bbi1

8 hours ago, shady86 said:

I noticed lately many foreigners especially Westerners choose to commit suicide here lately. Is it common in their own country or they find it easier to take their own lives here?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

At 67 I would guess he lived here so no point going to England to jump. Also doing it far away from home gives less chance of his children passing the scene of his death everyday. Only my assumption :)

9 hours ago, Jip99 said:

Very sad.

There must be a less dramatic, and messy,  way of ending one's life when health is a major factor.

There is...

To end suffering from terminal illness the following may be of interest.

A rolled up black silk scarf with one end tied to a door nob and the other end wrapped around the neck.  Firm downward squeezing pressure around the neck  arteries will stop the blood flow to the brain and the person passes out and on.

Car exhaust directed into the interior of the vehicle with the windows up and oldies playing on the radio will be a  peaceful passing as well.

Or take a trip to the morgue; lay on a autopsy table and drive a knife through your neck cutting the neck artery. 

Be sure to video your actions and comments to save the Police time.

Leave cash with written instructions, if you wish a burial or cremation.

Better than jumping by far.

Before a final  decision is made, seek professional consulting.

1 minute ago, Walter Travolta said:

At 67 I would guess he lived here so no point going to England to jump. Also doing it far away from home gives less chance of his children passing the scene of his death everyday. Only my assumption :)

So don't worry about all the other kids witnessing it, just his own ones. And at age 67 you'd expect his "kids" to be in their 20' to 30's already.

8 hours ago, shady86 said:

I noticed lately many foreigners especially Westerners choose to commit suicide here lately. Is it common in their own country or they find it easier to take their own lives here?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I just googled it, in 2002 in the US alone 15 per 100,000 people over 65 kill themselves the rate increases with age. The article states that the statistics are probably 40% higher than reported. www.aamft.org/iMIS15/AAMFT/content/Consumer_updates/Suicide_in_the_elderly.aspx

(I hope I copied it right)

As an afterthought, I hope he paid his bartab and tipped his server before trying to fly. 

Edited by Grumpy Duck
Elderly, Senility, Omission oopsie

1 minute ago, Grumpy Duck said:

I just googled it, in 2002 in the US alone 15 per 100,000 people over 65 kill themselves the rate increases with age. The article states that the statistics are probably 40% higher than reported. www.aamft.org/iMIS15/AAMFT/content/Consumer_updates/Suicide_in_the_elderly.aspx

(I hope I copied it right)

If someone wants to commit suicide, the US would probably be the place to do it. Easy access to guns so you could just pop one in yourself in a residence and end it without making a public scene in front of others.

9 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

So don't worry about all the other kids witnessing it, just his own ones. And at age 67 you'd expect his "kids" to be in their 20' to 30's already.

Wow what is wrong with the TVF members these days? You cant put a comment or opinion on without being lambasted for it!!! I was only offering a thought pal not be a psychtherapist. Chill out dude lol

Plus it seems you haven't even bothered to read my comment correctly as your reply doesnt even correlate that well to what I said

Edited by Walter Travolta

In reply to shady 86,the real story is,if a person is out of money and or perhaps out of source with the family,or perhaps dont have other family,then as its well know Thailand does not give free medication,especially to farangs.At an age when that person is maybe all alone,and does not want help he or she has had enough then thats when they decide to end it,we all know how quickly we can make our minds up about something,regardless if its a cowards way out or not,he or she is not around to hear the critics,its over.Its sad but lets be honest with one self,who knows who is next or how we would do it,i suppose it just happens that way,no matter who you are.People will say,i never thought he would do that never,nor did the person that did it,it is at that moment only and its done.RIP and condolences to any family if there is any.SAD but regular especially in Thailand.

7 hours ago, impulse said:

I think the suicide note exonerates them in his demise, as long as it's in his hand.  

Still, I hope his Embassy works to quickly secure his local assets for next of kin.  I've left a key to my apartment and instructions for some co-workers to gather up my valuables for my family in case of my untimely demise.  Mostly emergency cash, bank books and some computers.

MY FRIEND died in August last year.....he had taken out 16k from the ATM in the morning....Police and medics came to his room....son and daughter arrived....he was taken to Bkk for cremation.....only 7 k was left for son and daughter....QUESTION is where did the 9 k go...also his watches, rings and other valuables went from his room !!????

This man was only 2 years older than myself. May he rest in peace. Many will call him selfish, I have attempted taking my own life many times since teen years. My own father blew his brains out when I was home on leave. Even though I discovered the body, I was not traumatized I understood his decision. (and had seen a number of dead bodies)

I learned that a person cannot die until it is destined and when destined one cannot postpone it. 

6 hours ago, claffey said:

Suicide or Euthanasia or whatever you want to call it is a cowards way out.

Exactly Hemingway's opinion on the subject.... At least at some point before life's circumstances lead him to end his own life with a shotgun.   

Life has a way of changing our perspective on such things as we deal with more and more of it.     

17 minutes ago, paddyjoe41 said:

In reply to shady 86,the real story is,if a person is out of money and or perhaps out of source with the family,or perhaps dont have other family,then as its well know Thailand does not give free medication,especially to farangs.At an age when that person is maybe all alone,and does not want help he or she has had enough then thats when they decide to end it,we all know how quickly we can make our minds up about something,regardless if its a cowards way out or not,he or she is not around to hear the critics,its over.Its sad but lets be honest with one self,who knows who is next or how we would do it,i suppose it just happens that way,no matter who you are.People will say,i never thought he would do that never,nor did the person that did it,it is at that moment only and its done.RIP and condolences to any family if there is any.SAD but regular especially in Thailand.

And in support of that, anyone contemplating retirement in Thailand....you MUST have 2 separate amounts set aside...1 Health /Medical Fund...at least 500,000Baht ( and topped up) 2 Sanity Fund ( to be used to get out of the country from time to time).

Without these funds one can so easily feel like a prisoner and no longer in control of things.

10 hours ago, Jip99 said:

Very sad.

There must be a less dramatic, and messy,  way of ending one's life when health is a major factor.

In a  sane world YES, in Switzerland, everywhere else its  most  likely taboo, actually jumping form the 7th isnt advisable as   death isnt that guaranteed, read it needs to be 10 floors an upwards to "guarantee"  success, interesting fact

23 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

If someone wants to commit suicide, the US would probably be the place to do it. Easy access to guns so you could just pop one in yourself in a residence and end it without making a public scene in front of others.

Specifically, the West Coast of the US.... Oregon, California, and Washington have legal physician-assisted suicides.   (I believe Montana and Vermont do as well)

Just now, Tilacme said:

This has to be the most depressing forum every, get a grip guys, feel the vigour of life, its unstoppable unless you let it.

For many people in the world life is not as you describe in fact its plain intolerable.

My heart goes out to all those who suffer from extreme pain (from whatever cause/causes) and have had the courage to post about it here,on a public forum.

I suffer from a genetic heart disease which is causing ever more fearsome angina attacks.Strangely enough they usually come in the small hours of the morning and lead to a frantic scrabbling for anginine,muscle relaxants and pain killers.I sit alone on my balcony and measure the minutes with a niggardly eye and say to myself,please,oh please,let it be this time-let it all be over.

Add to that malignant melanoma,right leg amputation and fellow members of this forum might see why I am "liking" the posts on legalized euthanasia-but it is not readily available in my home country.

My experience with suicides/attempted suicides is that the person develops a sort of tunnel vision where the preferred option dominates all others and once the decision is taken then they will automatically select that option.

RIP my fellow human.

10 hours ago, namoi said:

Rip, sad way to escape your health problems, hope the family can understand

..RIP for sure..however he did plan it..suicide note on his person..he knew there would be publicity and a mess to clean up..IMHO he could have chosen a private location and one of a thousand ways to end it all..i too hope his family can accept. 

37 minutes ago, Walter Travolta said:

Wow what is wrong with the TVF members these days? You cant put a comment or opinion on without being lambasted for it!!! I was only offering a thought pal not be a psychtherapist. Chill out dude lol

Plus it seems you haven't even bothered to read my comment correctly as your reply doesnt even correlate that well to what I said

It is a case of differing point of views I believe. I think people react to what they believe was written rather than what was intended. Too bad thoughts are interpreted differently when written