Video: Car driver backs down after bus driver produces a long knife from his underpants

webfact

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, lucjoker said:

this happened on a crossroad ,no traffic sign nor  traffic lights and no priority marks on the road........the 2 roads are of same good quality (cracked   concrete )and importance..........

in this case ,in most countries (also in UK) there is way of right.

The taxi driver came from the right ,and ,IMO had way of right .

The other car is more expensive and also claimed way of right.

The whole argument is about way of right, and nobody seems to know the answer to this

question in Thailand.Although many crossroads are like this and this rule is of most of importance in

case of doubt ,as this is .

I asked this question in the drivers licence center in Pattaya:some did not understand my question , some say :who comes first can go first?? or "big truck go first" or "fast truck go first"......There is a writing of the king where is written "way of left"........some years i look for this answer.

So if nobody knows it ,i am very careful and dont take any risk,i will stop if nobody is driving behind me !

BTW "Mem Pho Dam" means "ace of spades" 

Correct Thai distinction of right-of-way:   Right of way to the guy with the biggest knife.  But we never even saw it in the video

1 hour ago, Krataiboy said:

I remember getting on a Thai long-distance public bus once and noting that there was a baseball bat on a bulldog clip next to the spare seat where the conductor sat. I think it is safest to assume in Thailand that EVERY driver is packing something other than a bunch of fives and act accordingly. Not a place to wave a middle digit without the likelihood of dire consequences.

My local policeman told me I should get a Samurai sword and keep it in my pick up.............I kid you not, he was  serious

1 hour ago, Matt96 said:

that's why I never ever skip songtaews forward. instead I do whatever possible to make their job harder. they don't deserve any politeness.

2 wrongs dont make a right.A bit more curtesy from you may rub off down the track.

Always avoid confrontation on the roads of Thailand. You never know who the other driver is. Also alot of bad driving; let the bad drivers pass; it only a matter of time before they will come unstuck. I have a webcam recording all the time, just incase.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

we can see exactly how closely the opinions of Thai people matches our own on virtually every topic we discuss on these pages.

perhaps , i cant read thai; might be pointed out that these forums are usually populated by educated people; many of whom are living their 2nd lives and have the time and interest to watch what goes on about them and comment

It loooks to me that the taxi driver came out to the car driver first.regardless who is right or wrong,why did he stop the taxi in the centre of the two roads?with passengers on board,obviously this maniac should not be in charge of a PSV,and a knife in his waistband,looks as stupid as he acts,where do they get the licence from?

I really think that its time for this government to ban all these Songthaews in Thailand as they are basically mafia shit and they drive terribly on the roads plus also cause a lot of traffic congestions as they can stop anywhere. You should see all these Songthaews in Onnut and Srinakarin areas. Terrible. 

I'm with the song thaew driver.  There are crazies out on the road. Having a little protection is not only reassuring for the driver that he can protect himself but also his customers... Just the appearance of the knife was a deterrence to an escalating situation. A gun however would be a really bad idea that could go wrong too quickly.

I understand the argument that the song thaew driver could be the crazy one.... maybe, not easy to know where to draw the line...

It would be very difficult to convince the bus driver that the knife didn't save him from an atrocious Thai style beat down from the bigger guy. I'v found that mostly bigger tougher guys think nobody should go around tooled up, lucky for the younger slighter driver that he had some help in his pants. 

3 hours ago, Usual Suspect said:

Does the Sontaew driver ever think ahead?...to the point that the humble car-driver may have cousins.. nasty ones with guns..!

You used the words "Think and Ahead" about a Thai driver. Both are useless to Thais either single or in conjunction with other.