Dog Attack A Person On A Driving Motorbike

most of the dogs you see roam around freely have a home where they belong to, the 'owners' just don't care or have no possibilities to lock them up.

If you get bitten by such a dog you can ask the owner to reimburse you for hospital costs, including rabies shots.

If the owner refuses then take the matter to the local police and they will assist in recovering the money.

If you are a farang it will be your fault. If you weren't in Thailand then the dog could not have bit you. A bit similar to traffic accidents.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I moved into my current house there was a dog here that was left by the former occupant. Very docile and nice but my girlfriend went straight to the landlord and said that we would feed the dog and let it stay on our porch but if it bites someone or something we are not at fault. They agreed and the dog ended up moving along anyway. (Actually to where a bunch of hot bar girls stay, can's say I blame him.)

Regarding hitting a dog on a motorbike. What is the best procedure if you know you're going to hit? Just stiffen the arms and try to steer straight? I wouldn't think swerving (unless time is permitted) would be the better choice. I'd rather hit the dog than chance laying the bike down. Any suggestions?

most of the dogs you see roam around freely have a home where they belong to, the 'owners' just don't care or have no possibilities to lock them up.

If you get bitten by such a dog you can ask the owner to reimburse you for hospital costs, including rabies shots.

If the owner refuses then take the matter to the local police and they will assist in recovering the money.

Alternatively have the local vet dart the dog and dispose of it. :D

I had to do this with a stray dog that would not let me sleep. :o

Alternatively have the local vet dart the dog and dispose of it. :D

I had to do this with a stray dog that would not let me sleep. :o

I beet you're coming back as a stray beach dog in yer next life, astra.

When I moved into my current house there was a dog here that was left by the former occupant. Very docile and nice but my girlfriend went straight to the landlord and said that we would feed the dog and let it stay on our porch but if it bites someone or something we are not at fault. They agreed and the dog ended up moving along anyway. (Actually to where a bunch of hot bar girls stay, can's say I blame him.)

Regarding hitting a dog on a motorbike. What is the best procedure if you know you're going to hit? Just stiffen the arms and try to steer straight? I wouldn't think swerving (unless time is permitted) would be the better choice. I'd rather hit the dog than chance laying the bike down. Any suggestions?

Bikes really are balanced very well, so they try to stay upright naturally. Because of that I would think that the best bet is to try to set straight up, key phrase try. It would take very big dog to actually knock you off, the problem it would seem is that your direction of travel is gong to be changed, very rapidly.

Initial reaction is to brake and swerve,but sandy samui roads will throw you off.I had no time at all so i think just tensed up and went straight over the thing.I was very lucky to stay on,and was going fast,i think my missis was right to get the bike blessed at temple and graffitied by the monk !!!

Hi to all,

a couple of Days ago, near to my House in Bangrak,

i hear first a woman screaming then i have seen some Dogs & one

of them attacks this Woman on the Motorbike. people from the Houses around runs to the Woman, to the motorbike, where the woman get bitten by the Dog at the Leg....

... and this happened the second time in front of my Eyes in the last couple of month...

does anybody know, if there would be something made against this Problem like "birth-control" or like this, cause i see more Street-dogs than before, or does i fantasy to much ?!?

anyway, be careful Motorbike Drivers & good luck...

SamuiRep

I have had this to happen to me many times; however not the same dog(s), What I do is carry some small plastic bags of Pee mix with a little gas(very little)(carry basket) when :D:D:o they chase I will drop a bags or two stop take out my ligther and throw it at the bag. got it!! "enough said"

Edited by BigSnake

I have had this to happen to me many times; however not the same dog(s), What I do is carry some small plastic bags of Pee mix with a little gas(very little)(carry basket) when :D:D:o they chase I will drop a bags or two stop take out my ligther and throw it at the bag. got it!! "enough said"

Hi,

sounds like a good way, but sometimes the Dogs comes out suddenly & i do not think, that i have the time to make that with the small plastic bags of pee & gas...

anyway, I am turkish citizen, if I would make something like this & some cops see these plastic bags with pee & gas, they would arrest me in the same moment, cause the danger would be high for me, that the cops "You are preparing a Bomb". So, no way for me to prepare gas & pee bag-bombs.

By the way, i already changed to a Car, so there is'nt that much danger for me anymore, to get bitten by a Streetdog....

good luck to all...

It happens too fast, and I have the surgical scars to prove it. Even if you're only going 36 kph when you realize you're going to hit the dog, there's no telling. 36kph is 36,000 meters per hour, ten meters per second. If you hit him with a glancing blow, it will throw you off course, maybe off the bike. If you hit him head-on, which I did, you're still going to go down if it's a big dog, which is what happened to us. You don't have to fly over the handlebars to have big injuries. I merely fell off after the crash. Last night, I was discussing our big wreck with the little man (Nok Lek) who flew over me and the bike. He was only scratched, and my shoulder is disabled.

I love to ridicule that phrase, "laying the bike down." The phrase implies that you have absolute control of a heavy motorcycle which you throw down. No, the forces of the impact, including gravity, lay you down.

Even if you're only going 36 kph when you realize you're going to hit the dog, there's no telling. 36kph is 36,000 meters per hour, ten meters per second.

36 kph is 3,600 meters per hour, 1 meter per second.

If you were going 10 meters per second the dog would explode and vaporize when you hit it!

Mafaso

Even if you're only going 36 kph when you realize you're going to hit the dog, there's no telling. 36kph is 36,000 meters per hour, ten meters per second.

If you were going 10 meters per second the dog would explode and vaporize when you hit it!

Mafaso

Are you sure? I was thinking that a kilometer is a thousand meters, yes? There are 3,600 seconds in an hour, yes? Well, I checked it and thought I was right, but I'm an alien, from the galaxy No-Metric. I know that 30 miles per hour is 44 feet per second, so 18 mph is about 27 feet per second, which is about 8 or 9 meters per second.

Anyway, my point is that most of the speeds we travel on a motorcycle, even on a beach road, are incredibly rapid speeds. I doubt that dogs have enough depth perception or intelligence to clearly tell how fast we're approaching. And we're fairly dumb animals ourselves, to think we can stop instantly from such speeds, or smoothly float to the ground.

Well lets see flesh versus asphalt wonder what is going to win. It's like flying the falling isn't bad it's the sudden stop.

You don't have to worry about laying the bike down it will take care of that itself, if your lucky you will do a little more rolling then sliding. The best you can do is try to maintain yuo center of balance, if you can and that is a very big if, you will probably have less injuries and maybe even survive it. Once the bike goes down it may hit you or another car may make you into a hood ornament. There are very good reasons to wear helmets, but that is not going to stop other injuries at least you may be alive to complain about it.

One a bike is radically out of control there is very little chance of getting that control back at speed.

Truth is if he is chasing you you don't really have to much to worry about, it's the one in front of you that can cause you serious problems. If you go di=own and you have precense of mind roll with it. But things happen very fast.

Mafaso

Are you sure? I was thinking that a kilometer is a thousand meters, yes? There are 3,600 seconds in an hour, yes? Well, I checked it and thought I was right, but I'm an alien, from the galaxy No-Metric. I know that 30 miles per hour is 44 feet per second, so 18 mph is about 27 feet per second, which is about 8 or 9 meters per second.

Anyway, my point is that most of the speeds we travel on a motorcycle, even on a beach road, are incredibly rapid speeds. I doubt that dogs have enough depth perception or intelligence to clearly tell how fast we're approaching. And we're fairly dumb animals ourselves, to think we can stop instantly from such speeds, or smoothly float to the ground.

Yes, you are absolutely correct. I will take my foot out of my mouth and shut up now. 36 kph=10 meter/second :o

The easiest thing to do to help eliminate most of the dangers of riding a bike and to lower chances of being dead is WEAR A HELMET!!!!!!!

Ask any of the nurses at the hospitals and they will tell you that over and over and over. It's the simplest thing to do to protect yourself. Crashing a motorbike is not a question of if, it is a question of when. I wish the police would take it serious and crack down on it for real, not just when they want to make some baht.

I started wearing one and felt a little stupid at first but now I have people tell me how smart I am for doing it and they wish they did as well. I feel a lot more confident while riding. A very good friend of mine had a serious motorbike accident a year ago and they had to remove half of his brain, he will be a vegetable the rest of his life. If he had had a helmet on he would have walked away.

BTW, I was just at the BUPA office in Chewang and the lady there told me the Italian guy who owns the bakery next door had a serious motorbike accident just recently. In case anyone knows him. She said his whole right side of his body is crushed. Plus I'm betting he didn't have a helmet on.

It happens too fast, and I have the surgical scars to prove it. Even if you're only going 36 kph when you realize you're going to hit the dog, there's no telling. 36kph is 36,000 meters per hour, ten meters per second. If you hit him with a glancing blow, it will throw you off course, maybe off the bike. If you hit him head-on, which I did, you're still going to go down if it's a big dog, which is what happened to us. You don't have to fly over the handlebars to have big injuries. I merely fell off after the crash. Last night, I was discussing our big wreck with the little man (Nok Lek) who flew over me and the bike. He was only scratched, and my shoulder is disabled.

I love to ridicule that phrase, "laying the bike down." The phrase implies that you have absolute control of a heavy motorcycle which you throw down. No, the forces of the impact, including gravity, lay you down.

having purposely laid the bike down in accident siuations on two occasions, and successully avoiding collisons and injury beyond a few scrapes. i dont think it is a laughable phrase.

i think if a person cannot control their bike enough to put it down at will, perhaps they should not be riding on samui.

:o

The easiest thing to do to help eliminate most of the dangers of riding a bike and to lower chances of being dead is WEAR A HELMET!!!!!!!

Ask any of the nurses at the hospitals and they will tell you that over and over and over. It's the simplest thing to do to protect yourself. Crashing a motorbike is not a question of if, it is a question of when. I wish the police would take it serious and crack down on it for real, not just when they want to make some baht.

I started wearing one and felt a little stupid at first but now I have people tell me how smart I am for doing it and they wish they did as well. I feel a lot more confident while riding. A very good friend of mine had a serious motorbike accident a year ago and they had to remove half of his brain, he will be a vegetable the rest of his life. If he had had a helmet on he would have walked away.

BTW, I was just at the BUPA office in Chewang and the lady there told me the Italian guy who owns the bakery next door had a serious motorbike accident just recently. In case anyone knows him. She said his whole right side of his body is crushed. Plus I'm betting he didn't have a helmet on.

Hope that's not my fav Italian baker who used to be next to the gym on the ring road. :D

Those ultrasonic dog repellers work well although i haven't seen them sold in Thailand.

I'm thinking of designing a multi-range ultrasonic repeller allowing it to repel a variety of different things - dogs, birds, insects just to see how well it works. Wonder if it would sell here? :o

If it repells BGs,Touts,Beggars,Tourists..I'll buy one Tywais... :D:D

ps..nearly forgot and Wabbits...

Edited by Little Black Duck

having purposely laid the bike down in accident siuations on two occasions, and successully avoiding collisons and injury beyond a few scrapes. i dont think it is a laughable phrase.

i think if a person cannot control their bike enough to put it down at will, perhaps they should not be riding on samui.

Okay, I apologize for ridiculing what is possible. In fact, both Superman and the Incredible Hulk can throw a motorcycle across the soi and through a somtam stand.

I weigh 90 kilos, and my teensy little CBR150 weighs 118 kilos; my Suzuki 850 weighed more like 270 kilos. You're a stronger man than I am if you can throw a bike down while in the middle of avoiding a crash, travelling at speeds as fast as 28 meters per second. Or, you have the reflexes of Superman. I've had wrecks or near-wrecks where the bike and I stayed upright.

Here's one: brand new purchase of that 270 kilo bike, and I'm used to a much lighter bike. Driving home at 100 kph, and the drivetrain locks up instantly (fractured driveshaft gear). I steer it to the shoulder of the road (it's stopping by itself), and as it comes to zero speed, I jump off, land on my feet, grab the handlebars, and catch it. So, anything's possible. Most of the time, however, a motorcycle lays its rider down, or gravity does the job at 32 feet per second per second.

Then you add in the typical hazards: sand on a beach road, water or oily surfaces; Sasapacha and Lek and Pongsakorn are 3-up on the Honda Dream, all talking on their mobiles; anything can happen.

"Another obstacle avoidance strategy, where the rider ‘lays down’ his motorcycle, is seen in real world motorcycle crashes. This is a poor crash avoidance strategy and can be understood by analyzing the relative performance of either a swerve or braking maneuver. This laying down maneuver usually starts with improper braking which leads to lock up of either the front or rear wheel. Lockup then results in a loss of stability at that end of the motorcycle and a large increase in roll and/or yaw.

This results in the motorcycle falling over onto it’s side. While falling, the motorcycle is undergoing little deceleration. Once the motorcycle has touched ground, it will continue a slide on plastic and metal components at a deceleration rate significantly lower than the braking capability of an upright motorcycle [Carter, 1996; Medwell, 1997]. Therefore, laying down the motorcycle will generally result in significantly longer stopping distances than what can be achieved with proper brake application. The longer stopping distance increases the potential for a collision."

Source: Do I break or do I swerve .pdf file 234kB.

Test your reaction speed (unscientific) > http://www.fetchfido.co.uk/games/reaction/reaction_test.htm Mine was .248 seconds. :o

"Another obstacle avoidance strategy, where the rider ‘lays down’ his motorcycle, is seen in real world motorcycle crashes. This is a poor crash avoidance strategy and can be understood by analyzing the relative performance of either a swerve or braking maneuver. This laying down maneuver usually starts with improper braking which leads to lock up of either the front or rear wheel. Lockup then results in a loss of stability at that end of the motorcycle and a large increase in roll and/or yaw.

This results in the motorcycle falling over onto it’s side. While falling, the motorcycle is undergoing little deceleration. Once the motorcycle has touched ground, it will continue a slide on plastic and metal components at a deceleration rate significantly lower than the braking capability of an upright motorcycle [Carter, 1996; Medwell, 1997]. Therefore, laying down the motorcycle will generally result in significantly longer stopping distances than what can be achieved with proper brake application. The longer stopping distance increases the potential for a collision."

Source: Do I break or do I swerve .pdf file 234kB.

Test your reaction speed (unscientific) > http://www.fetchfido.co.uk/games/reaction/reaction_test.htm Mine was .248 seconds. :o

Great test. Mine .17 :D

Let me admit my ignorance here, after all those motorcycles, miles, and crashes. I do not know how one actively decides to "lay the bike down." I think it means I'd let it fall down, while I also fall down. I'll always have the scars to prove that. Seriously, does one take a few thousand milliseconds out of their busy crash to grab ahold of the motorcycle and literally throw it down, or to throw it atop the nearest tuk-tuk?

The only time to lay the bike down is when you have to skid underneath a tractor trailer truck in between its front and rear tires. I saw that in a movie as well.

But seriously, if I am going to hit something I would rather be sliding on the ground where probably my feet will hit whatever it is versus hitting while still sitting on the bike where more than likely my head will be the first thing to contact. (Even though I do wear a helmet). I would rather have some scratches on my legs and back than to be a leafy vegetable forever.

I've always told myself the only way I would swerve at the last second and do anything possible to change the direction of the bike is if a baby or kid somehow walked out onto the street, or maybe even a hot Thai girl!

Tis very sad tho when a puppy gets squashed under your tyre, like what happened to me recently. Not my fault at all. Stone cold sober as well.

However all my previous detachments from a Honda 125, a Kawi 750 and a three wheeler resulted in little or no injuries. That Beer Chang has some excellent properties :D

0.21 on FetchFido :o

Let me admit my ignorance here, after all those motorcycles, miles, and crashes. I do not know how one actively decides to "lay the bike down." I think it means I'd let it fall down, while I also fall down. I'll always have the scars to prove that. Seriously, does one take a few thousand milliseconds out of their busy crash to grab ahold of the motorcycle and literally throw it down, or to throw it atop the nearest tuk-tuk?

I can understand why fair weather bikers might not understand laying a bike down.

How about a situation with wet roads at night and close to freezing temp, you are cornering , a bit to fast as maybe, a car pulls out into your path.

You're already dedicated to the corner, if you take the bike upright and brake you will go over the high side or have a head on.

Head on's gonna break your neck, going over the high side aint gonna be pretty.

You're already lent half way down into the bend. This might be the time to let the bike go down and get off. Also known as laying the bike down.

Chances of survival much increased by full leathers and a lid not made by Tuppaware.

Back to the dogs...I once heard a suggestion to mix 90% water with 10% cleaning ammonia and fill a small squirt gun. Keep it handy (bike basket? top of your boot? in your teeth?) for normal places/encounters with the local aggressive canine(s).

The proponent of this idea said that it doesn't injure them, but an ammonia mixture up a dog's sensitive nose and in their eyes will make them remember you for a very long time. (As in "avoid this guy--he's a sadist.")

Haven't tried it myself, but I am actively looking for one of those small squirt guns they sell in the west. So far, all I can find are one of those pump-action water cannons they use at Songkran. Hmmm....not a bad idea either.... :o