Duration of Qatarflights following recent announcement of no over-fly by Arab neighbours

bilbo52

Following the recent announcement by Saudi and Libya and other Arab countries to impose sanctions on Qatar, to include particularly that the Qatari national carrier cannot use the airspace of these countries, does anyone know whether the Qatar flight from Bkk to Doha and then onto London Heathrow will be extended in duration, ie take longer, because the flight has to circumnavigate these countries? 

I am thinking of booking a Qatar flight, but if the flight time is a lot longer then I will select another carrier. 

In anticipation thanks.

4 minutes ago, PS2 said:

How about don't care about flight-time and instead that your considering sponsoring IS.

We sponsor IS when we use oil.  This has nothing to do with IS, and everything to do with the never ending fights between Arab clans.

The countries taking action against Qatar also support Islamic extremists - just different ones to those supported by Qatar.

Regardless of the politics, then it is extremely unlikely that the current bans on airspace would affect any flights BKK - DOH - LHR, as neither sector would need to go in to any of those airspace.

Of course if countries such as Iran were to impose a ban, then this would have an effect.

At the moment I can not find news about the implications for QR.

But about the LHR - DOH route: obviously unaffected.

I checked back the flight tracks for a couple of days.

They always took some detour avoiding Syria and Iraq (for good reasons) by passing north and then over their "best friends" Iran.

So by theory: no implication for this route.

Route of June 1:

(click on pic for larger view)

LHRDOH.jpg

The route BKK - DOH - BKK maybe slightly effected due to the ban from UAE, which makes a dog leg for them, but would imagine that this would be made up during the flight.

QR.png

I've noticed over the past year that both Qatar and Etihad (tracked one of my daughters flight) both seem to be taking the Iran route. I can only assume that congestion over Dubai is causing a problem. Interestingly the last time, Dec 2016, I flew DXB-LGW we passed fairly near to Qatar. LGW-DXB seems to fly over Iran as the normal route.

Flew LHR-DOH last week, and we definitely did fly through Bahreini airspace, also over the UAE on BKK-DOH roughly a month ago, before descent into DOH.

That said, I don't think the diversions via Iranian airspace would add massive amounts of time to the journey, my own next trip isn't until September so I can afford to wait-and-see.

Might be a good Qatar Sale, to catch up on lost-bookings, at some point ? :cool:

2 hours ago, Ricardo said:

Might be a good Qatar Sale, to catch up on lost-bookings, at some point ? :cool:

I got an email today from both Etihad and Emirates about sales within 15 minutes of each other so looks like they are thinking the same 

4 hours ago, Ricardo said:

Flew LHR-DOH last week, and we definitely did fly through Bahreini airspac

Bahrain and Liechtenstein are easy to surpass :biggrin:

Bahrain about 35 miles north/south.

On the overview track hard to identify at all.

4 hours ago, Ricardo said:

also over the UAE on BKK-DOH roughly a month ago, before descent into DOH.

Also to be seen on the flight tracks (site was down in the afternoon).

That fits the late arrivals today in BKK.

Flying BKK-Doha should not cause any concern if Iran remains open. Also my recollection of Doha to UK was that we did not overfly KSA, but went up the Arabian Gulf close to the the East Coast. I too have a future flight with them (the other way) and have a slight concern.

15 hours ago, impulse said:

Looks like the Maldives is piling on, too.  Though I doubt it would take long to go around their airspace if that were required.

Most airlines flying BKK - DOH don't go anywhere near Maldives

16 hours ago, impulse said:

Looks like the Maldives is piling on, too.  Though I doubt it would take long to go around their airspace if that were required.

Their airspace is extensive, point is what action could they take if violated ? Thry have no airforce.

Saudi Arabia has now given a 24hrs ultimatum to Qatar to comply to 10 requests...or else!

War, or something like that, may be on the horizon.

Instead of wondering about the flight time, maybe it would be time to consider another airline, and a completely different route, away from the uncertainties...

5 hours ago, Brunolem said:

Saudi Arabia has now given a 24hrs ultimatum to Qatar to comply to 10 requests...or else!

Instead of wondering about the flight time, maybe it would be time to consider another airline, and a completely different route, away from the uncertainties...

Or else what!!!!!

Load of rubbish rubbish.

I live live / work in Qatar its normal business in country.

Flight times yesterday to BKK<->DOH 

• BKK-DOH 6hrs 48min
  • DOH-BKK 7hrs 20min

13 hours ago, Brunolem said:

highly unlikely with 10,000 US soldiers stationed in Qatar.

On 6/6/2017 at 2:49 PM, Kinnock said:

We sponsor IS when we use oil.  This has nothing to do with IS, and everything to do with the never ending fights between Arab clans.

The countries taking action against Qatar also support Islamic extremists - just different ones to those supported by Qatar.

From all accounts Saudi Arabia who appear to be leading the charge on this occasion are one of the worst offenders in sponsoring terrorism and were allegedly  implicated in the 9/11 attacks if my memory serves me correctly.

Better not even think of another huge gulf war.

The smallest problem would be Thailand air traffic being hit hard.

I once had a 13 hour flight from Bangkok to Munich via China and Russia (Siberia) during the first gulf war.

And if the huge capacities of Emirates, Qatar and Etihad would drop out: good luck finding a seat to Europe for a reasonable price.

Both Bangkok English newspapers (The Nation, Bangkok Post) have articles on the topic today.

6 hours ago, Ricardo said:

But would they assist Gulf-War allies Qatar, or long-term best-friends Saudi, or simply remain neutral ?

no need for assistance. the U.S. would just tell Salman "NO CAN DO!"

Just looked up flights DOH -> BKK for June 8 and 9.

One of the five flights was cancelled on both days.

The other flights were either in time or had delays of up to 45 min.

Flights from LHR -> DOH

June 8, five flights on time, one heavy delayed (85 min).

June 9, all six flights on time.

Archived