Surfing In Thailand

Livinginexile

Hi all

This time of year can sometimes produce big swell in the Thai Gulf and around Phuket. I have surfed Kho Samui in February but only a 1 metre beach break with onshore winds, sloppy but fun. I hired a board on the beach.

I am coming to Thailand in a few weeks and I am tempted to bring my board with me.

Has anyone surfed Phuket? I have heard about a couple of point breaks that work on a big swell, has anyone else heard about this?

Hi all

This time of year can sometimes produce big swell in the Thai Gulf and around Phuket. I have surfed Kho Samui in February but only a 1 metre beach break with onshore winds, sloppy but fun. I hired a board on the beach.

I am coming to Thailand in a few weeks and I am tempted to bring my board with me.

Has anyone surfed Phuket? I have heard about a couple of point breaks that work on a big swell, has anyone else heard about this?

Leave your board at home. At this time of year there is normally no swell at all in Phuket.

Sorry to disappoint you but the surfing is between May to October on Phuket.

Ahh I see, so its May - October.

I remember years ago seeing these photo's of a really nice right hander peeling of some sort of a point. The caption didn't say exactly where (they reckoned it was a secret spot), they only said "somewhere in Phuket"

Also another guy I met in Bali once told me he had great surf in Phuket once. He said it was out the front of a major hotel...and for the life of me I can't remember the name of it.

I usually surf Bali at least once a year but I would love to find out about this "secret spot".

There is a right hand reef break at the south end of Chaweng Noi. At the north end there is sometimes a rip formed about 50 meters from the rock headland. Can get a few waves forming off sand bank there.

At Lamai there is a reef break south of elephant rock. Short ride & very easily wind affected.

Usually the swell is up coz of a storm & tho it can get glassy late or early the water is usually full of junk. Most dangerous are bamboo poles with rope covered with barnacles

There is a right hand reef break at the south end of Chaweng Noi. At the north end there is sometimes a rip formed about 50 meters from the rock headland. Can get a few waves forming off sand bank there.

At Lamai there is a reef break south of elephant rock. Short ride & very easily wind affected.

Usually the swell is up coz of a storm & tho it can get glassy late or early the water is usually full of junk. Most dangerous are bamboo poles with rope covered with barnacles

Hey my friend I,

Thanks heaps for the tips mate. I look forward to checking them out in October.. I believe that this is the best time?

:o

On the southern end of Phuket between May - October - Kata, Kata Noi and Nai Harn Beaches offer some fun surfing. On the southern end of Kata beach are 3 Surf shops during these months. They teach surfing and rent out boards then. Da's Surf is 1 of the most popular: run by local Thais and a Kiwi Guy. They are presently rebuilding their house and shop front although they will be there in full force in May in front of The Boathouse Hotel on the southern end of Kata Beach. Speak to khun Da or Chris - they are very knowledgable about the best spots to surf on Phuket as well as in SEAsia.

Also BTW Khun Da has the nicest bungalows for rent to his surfing buddies and customers during the surf season.

Thanks again guys.. :o

Hi In the Rai

Apparantly there is some big swell in the Gulf now, around Samui there would be a wave or 2.

I will be in Thailand around august/september 07, I will park a board in Thailand so maybe we can check some waves around this time?