Thailand ignoring bottom 40% of workforce at its peril: academics

webfact

Thailand ignoring bottom 40% of workforce at its peril: academics
By The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Thailand is getting richer because the labour force is working harder, not necessarily smarter, a seminar was told yesterday.

“It’s clear that we have faced a shortage of skilled workers and quality human resources. Now it’s time we change the way we work,” Dhurakij Pundit University assistant vice president Dr Kiat-anan Luankaew said yesterday at the seminar, which focused on how the bottom 40 per cent of Thailand’s workforce in terms of income had been ignored.

He said that instead of using technology, employers had relied on migrant workers from neighbouring countries over the past decade.

“We need to overhaul our manufacturing structure or else Thailand will not be able to compete against other nations,” Kiatanan said. Based on findings from a largescale survey of 40,000 enterprises, the academic said the bottom 40 per cent of Thailand’s workforce should get a quality upgrade so that Thailand can keep pace with the “4.0 era”.

Thailand’s educational sector should also provide adequate teachers, machines and a learning environment suitable for the socalled Thailand 4.0, Kiat-anan said.

The goal of Thailand 4.0 is to develop an innovationdriven society, economy and industries. “Training on equipment taught at schools should not be different from what is installed at real workplaces,” he said. Kiat-anan also recommended a greater promotion of vocational education, which he said should be considered career advancement.

“When compared with university graduates, vocational graduates feel they have less careeradvancement opportunities because the country has not yet built career ladders as high as possible,” he said.

Quality Learning Foundation assistant manager Dr Kraiyos Patrawat also encouraged the government to encourage students to seek vocational education, instead of leaving schools after completing just Prathom 6 or Mathayom 3.

“If they enter the labour market with that level of education, they will just be unskilled workers earning a little income,” he said. He said people’s average years of schooling was now at just 7.9 years while the target was 13.6 years.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30317519

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-06-08

I came to this conclusion years ago...

This is what happens when you keep them "dumb". 

A major overhaul is needed - mainly in education. 

And the responsibility for this, rests squarely on the shoulders of those in power, the elite (who are horrendously misguided in thinking that by keeping the masses dumb, it protects their fortunes), and the failed educational system. Unless, and until this much needed reform takes place, this so called 4.0 program is merely wishful thinking. A step in the right direction, but with nothing to back it up. The educational system needs to be dismantled, and rebuilt from the ground up. Hopefully, with outsiders for guidance. The very first thing that needs to be done, is the students have to begin questioning the teachers, and the teachers have to be man enough to deal with this. That encourages curiosity. Without it, they remain mired in ignorance. 

As far as ignoring the bottom 40%, I would say it was closer to the bottom 60%. And they have been doing this for nearly a millennium. 

Edited by spidermike007

4 hours ago, webfact said:

“We need to overhaul our manufacturing structure or else Thailand will not be able to compete against other nations,”

This is the first cruncher statement. Thailand is being left behind already as foreign investment moves into neighbouring countries which offer a more secure base as compared to a military led regime that sometimes shows little respect for foreign investors. e.g The matter of the Australian gold mine that was stolen by the government and which is now the hands of international law courts..

Taking it further further, sovereign risk can be of major concern to foreign investors as applied to the consequences for business profits of sudden change in government taxes, subsidies or regulations and ownership of investments.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

He said that instead of using technology, employers had relied on migrant workers from neighbouring countries over the past decade.

This is the second cruncher statement which again highlights the neglect of (new) technology by industry in favour of cheap imported labour to make more money in the short term. In other words immediate GREED instead longer term planning and re-investment of profits.

Unless something changes then there may well be serious consequences that could take it's toll on the economy of the country. 

3 hours ago, djayz said:

I came to this conclusion years ago...

This is what happens when you keep them "dumb". 

A major overhaul is needed - mainly in education. 

That's what you get when you breed i. .....ts for the last 40 years. Sooner or later they end up inthe government  ,  army and the policeforce 

Problem is a poorly informed and uni-formed approach to education that lacks innovation because it is filtered right out before even taking off ....  solution is local autonomy  --  smaller institutions -- no strings attached philanthropy in support of genuine innovators ...  let experienced teachers spot the prodigies and gifted kids and give them separate tasking as teacher's aides ... that's how the one room school house produced the lost literate generation ever in the states >100 years ago -- had to translate Greek to Laten just to enter college then ...

7 minutes ago, shady86 said:

Quantity is more important than quality. That is why Thailand is still stuck with middle income trap.

Better referred to as the "low income gap".  Thailand's approach to education is nothing short of limp or lifeless.  

The robber barons of Thailand like a dumb populous and strictly controlled foreign investment.  Have a friend in the sticks.  She would like to work closer to her village, but she can only support her family by working in Bangkok.  She thinks that is the way of things.  Stay home and farm or move to Bangkok.  Those are the choices and she accepts that.  4.0 and other "hub" related slogans are just hot air, blue sky wishes.   

Another egghead who seems totally to be living in the past. Those countless unskilled jobs now being done largely by immigrant workers are going to disappear in the next twenty or thirty years as a result of the robotics revolution. 

Thailand's education system needs to be totally revamped to train as many youngsters as possible for the relatively few jobs that machines won't be able to do and for the emerging technologies which will follow in the wake of the robot/AI takeover.

As for the less able, let us hope that a means is found -  perhaps a tax per robots, levied on firms which use them replace human labour -  to generate the wealth needed to give the unemployed a Universal Basic Income that is more than a survival pittance.

What worries me, as a father with kids still at Thai schools, is how unaware educators seem to be of the tremendous jobs market changes just around the corner and how to prepare future generations for their effects.

4 hours ago, 11223344 said:

lol in my country 7.9 years of schooling would mean that I graduated only a kinder-garden.. as elementary school is 9 years :passifier:

Seven point nine years of schooling, and you graduate kindergarden!  Can't recollect which country you could possibly be from.  Help me out; is it on Pluto?

Total revamp not only on education but government services, law and mindset are needed due to excessive amount of wastage in everything done here. For foreigners who go to immigration yearly, I'm sure you know what I'm trying to say.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Capitalism working at it's best, no different really than developed countries.

Although modern countries do use robots/automated machines etc etc Thailand still flogs slave labour to death

same result, the rich get rich the poor get poorer & the divide gets wider!

5 hours ago, Moti24 said:

Seven point nine years of schooling, and you graduate kindergarden!  Can't recollect which country you could possibly be from.  Help me out; is it on Pluto?

You probably haven't made it even to the kinder garden

If an elementary school is 8 or 9 years (9 in my country) it means that the 'average' person who spent 7.9 years in school would not "graduate" even the elementary level. The kinder garden bit was joke.

Clear enough?

10 hours ago, 11223344 said:

You probably haven't made it even to the kinder garden

If an elementary school is 8 or 9 years (9 in my country) it means that the 'average' person who spent 7.9 years in school would not "graduate" even the elementary level. The kinder garden bit was joke.

Clear enough?

I'll treat your first sentence with the contempt it deserves.

Maybe if you declared your country of origin, you post would be easier to understand.  I'm from the UK (England).  There, we have "Junior School" for students aged 5 to 11.  Then they graduate to "Senior School" for a further 6 years.  Any schooling prior to age 5 is called, firstly nursery, then pre-school.  

By "Elementery" I assume you are referring to the equivalent of our "Junior School", which is a 6 year attendance.  Perhaps you can now see why your post is a bit confusing.

Is that clear enough for YOU?

23 hours ago, trogers said:

Only the educated can be trained to be skilled and adaptive.

This problem rests with education or the lack thereof.

The problem I see for the government is in an economy which relies quite heavily on consumer spending (which as of late has relied more and more on consumer credit to bridge the gap) how can they raise the minimum wage in Thailand even further from the existing US$260 a month when neighbouring countries pay so much lower minimum wages? For example Cambodia at only $153 a month and Vietnam even lower at $116 per month.

As an employer it’s not like you are getting any extra benefits from Thai workers in terms of creativity, independent thinking or even diligence.

17 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

Another egghead who seems totally to be living in the past. Those countless unskilled jobs now being done largely by immigrant workers are going to disappear in the next twenty or thirty years as a result of the robotics revolution. 

Thailand's education system needs to be totally revamped to train as many youngsters as possible for the relatively few jobs that machines won't be able to do and for the emerging technologies which will follow in the wake of the robot/AI takeover.

As for the less able, let us hope that a means is found -  perhaps a tax per robots, levied on firms which use them replace human labour -  to generate the wealth needed to give the unemployed a Universal Basic Income that is more than a survival pittance.

What worries me, as a father with kids still at Thai schools, is how unaware educators seem to be of the tremendous jobs market changes just around the corner and how to prepare future generations for their effects.

Your suggestion of a possible tax on robots would be an unfair penalty on those who are merely seeking a cheaper and more efficient manufacturing solution. In the tough economic environment ahead I just don't see  such altruism will prevail because in the end it will come down to survival of the fittest in terms of manufacturing. The average consumer will gravitate to the cheapest option without basing their decision to purchase on the social ramifications of human labour being displaced by artificial intelligence and robotics.

The problem is that the government are taking out easy targets such as street traders and these people are then left desolate. If it continues then there will be retribution.

Ah but think of the plus side.

Sure, a few street traders will be left desolate (destitute) but the people who bought from them will now be forced to buy from the chain convenience stores. And the destitute ex street traders will have to go and work long hours for meagre wages, quite possibly in those same chain convenience stores.

This will be very much to the benefit of those who own the chain convenience stores.

Its an ill wind that blows nobody any good...

19 hours ago, Cadbury said:

This is the first cruncher statement. Thailand is being left behind already as foreign investment moves into neighbouring countries which offer a more secure base as compared to a military led regime that sometimes shows little respect for foreign investors. e.g The matter of the Australian gold mine that was stolen by the government and which is now the hands of international law courts..

Taking it further further, sovereign risk can be of major concern to foreign investors as applied to the consequences for business profits of sudden change in government taxes, subsidies or regulations and ownership of investments.

This is the second cruncher statement which again highlights the neglect of (new) technology by industry in favour of cheap imported labour to make more money in the short term. In other words immediate GREED instead longer term planning and re-investment of profits.

Unless something changes then there may well be serious consequences that could take it's toll on the economy of the country. 

There are many aspects of life here, that I truly enjoy. I am sure many feel the same way. Just wish the country was not moving backwards, (and was instead moving forward under the leadership of progressive minds) due to a system of meritocracy, a complete lack of forward looking vision, and an astonishing lack of talent from the top down, within the administration. A nice dream indeed, but only a dream, with nothing to back it up.

In Little P's own mind, this has already been accomplished: 

The great and benevolent leader has already insured happiness. He is lowering unemployment. He is growing the economy. He is increasing tourism revenue. He is increasing exports. He is abiding by all of the terms of the ASEAN charters he signed, and allowing the duty free importation of all beer throughout ASEAN. They are on all of the supermarket shelves as we speak. We are not longer subject to the very low quality local beers. He is making visa policy easy, simple and streamlined, and all tourists are very happy about that. He is improving traffic and public safety. Corruption is being eliminated, and innocent fall guys are no longer getting charged for murder, and being put to death. The taxi mafia on Samui and Phuket have been eliminated, and tourists can now get a taxi at a fair price. Life is better for all now that this great man is demonstrating his genius and vision on a daily basis. All he cares about is the welfare of his own people, and the happiness of both tourists and the ex-pat community. He contemplates this day and night. Right.

Moving the country forward? I think not. More like "Moving Thailand backwards at an alarming pace".

1 hour ago, midas said:

Your suggestion of a possible tax on robots would be an unfair penalty on those who are merely seeking a cheaper and more efficient manufacturing solution. In the tough economic environment ahead I just don't see  such altruism will prevail because in the end it will come down to survival of the fittest in terms of manufacturing. The average consumer will gravitate to the cheapest option without basing their decision to purchase on the social ramifications of human labour being displaced by artificial intelligence and robotics.

I can't agree as robots will obviously a lot cheaper to maintain than human employees - no holidays or sick pay, maternity leave, employer pension contributions, etc etc - and generate greater profit. There appears to be no other way (unless you can think of one!) of raising enough for the Exchequer to provide the jobless majority of the population with enough money even to survive.

As for consumers "gravitating to the cheapest option", most consumers will end up on a meagre state handout which will be barely enough to buy the basic essentials.

The devil is in the detail and the worrying thing is that countries like Thailand are doing nothing to address the practical ramifications of a robotics revolution that has already started and is set to totally transform our children's lives.

Edited by Krataiboy
error

most folks know it's really easy to throw up a website?

that shows basic data or obtains it from the user?

a website that works? on any OS or device?

etc..

did I just write that?

and that that requires reading technical manuals. it's not something someone tells you how to do and you do what you think you were told to do. 

yes, an "intellectual activity" that causes "brain damage".

when it comes to the internet.. and other stuff like that.... it involves reading..... that has to be done all by yourself.

all by yourself? not in a group?

well.... because when it's done by a group of folks...  you can tell.... the result sucks. 

and that's just the way it is (not very intellectual, am I? I forgot to quote Noam Chomsky in here somewhere, William Shakepeare... and the all important words "education reform").

Edited by maewang99

1 hour ago, Krataiboy said:

I can't agree as robots will obviously a lot cheaper to maintain than human employees - no holidays or sick pay, maternity leave, employer pension contributions, etc etc - and generate greater profit. There appears to be no other way (unless you can think of one!) of raising enough for the Exchequer to provide the jobless majority of the population with enough money even to survive.

As for consumers "gravitating to the cheapest option", most consumers will end up on a meagre state handout which will be barely enough to buy the basic essentials.

The devil is in the detail and the worrying thing is that countries like Thailand are doing nothing to address the practical ramifications of a robotics revolution that has already started and is set to totally transform our children's lives.

provide the jobless majority of the population with enough money even to survive.”

No I can’t think of any other way of raising revenue.

But who decides what is enough? If it’s taxes to provide no more than subsistence living (or as you say enough to buy the basic essentials) that’s a different thing but the taxes can't be so high so as to provide the unemployed masses with anything approaching today’s scenario of being able to buy consumer items on credit. It’s going to be a dramatically different economic landscape.

On 6/8/2017 at 3:45 PM, Krataiboy said:

You are so right!  Automation is different this time.  And it's going to bite every country.