Frenchman found dead as plane lands in Bangkok

webfact

13 minutes ago, snooky said:

Hmmm  seems to me I have seen many videos of coffins removed from cargo hold for a military burial at small cemeteries.  Maybe wrong!!

no you are not wrong!

3 minutes ago, Naam said:

no fairy tales please! :sick:

4 minutes ago, Naam said:

no fairy tales please! :sick:

Not fairy tales, in 1970s, small town small aircraft 45 seaters, they did dismantle the seats and tie the coffin down then covered up nicely. But today air cargo aircraft and put 200 coffins may be i don't know, they don't have to dismantle the seats of passengers aircraft any more.

Bugger, what a kick in the kishka's. Paid for his trip, anticipated how great it was gonna be, changed up all his Euro's, imagining what sorts of wonderful tricks he was going to get up to, and gets his ticket out before he even gets here. The Gods can be very cruel at times.

Bon Voyage  Mon Ami, RIP

Most of the French people still had a personnal insurance included with their visa/mastercard card and a "civil responsability" which often cover  unfortunate case like this one....contrary to some other european countries where people  are left with nothing when going abroad. Then, it's also may have a insurance included ninto to price of the ticket. At 65 he was most probably a pensionneer, so could also be covered by others insurance.

If France is a "nightmare" for lot of europeans people ( I wonder why mostly UK....?) it's not so evil... ;)

4 hours ago, dddave said:

I wonder if Air France will honor his return ticket and return his body to France, assuming he had one.   Actually, very doubtful since preparing and ..uh..packaging a body for flight is quite expensive.

Knowing France, a bureaucratic nightmare awaits his survivors. 

Why does this have to turn into some nasty comment about French bureaucracy ? Like there is no bureaucracy in your country ? Or in Thailand ?

Pathetic, and sooooo TVF ...

44 minutes ago, madusa said:

Maybe they don't do it now, back in 1970s , when the coffin was put in the small aircraft (sitting capacity about 45 persons) The aircraft was dutch built - called Fokker Friendship.

If you work for the Traffic at airport you learn how to anchor the coffin down so it doesn't move when the aircraft takes off. (of course the coffin is covered in such a way you don't know it is a coffin- probably until an air crash happened and you have the corpse lying on the top of you. You wonder where did it come from?

Yes, those little fokkers always had issues with oversize luggage.

4 hours ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

Thank goodness it was on Air France and not Thai air. If it was Thai air we would have had 20 conspiracy theories by now. 

RIP 

They  are  in  both in Star Alliance , um ?. 

Take care out there .   RIP. 

Edited by elliss

4 minutes ago, NanLaew said:
50 minutes ago, madusa said:

Maybe they don't do it now, back in 1970s , when the coffin was put in the small aircraft (sitting capacity about 45 persons) The aircraft was dutch built - called Fokker Friendship.

If you work for the Traffic at airport you learn how to anchor the coffin down so it doesn't move when the aircraft takes off. (of course the coffin is covered in such a way you don't know it is a coffin- probably until an air crash happened and you have the corpse lying on the top of you. You wonder where did it come from?

Yes, those little fokkers always had issues with oversize luggage.

I was wondering how long it would take before someone made a joke with that name, and if the joke would be funny. It is, so thanks for the good laugh, NanLew :smile: Now I wish some other witty poster would go further, as the combination 'Fokker Friendship' is quite a giggle in itself ...

Edited by Yann55

4 hours ago, dddave said:

I wonder if Air France will honor his return ticket and return his body to France, assuming he had one.   Actually, very doubtful since preparing and ..uh..packaging a body for flight is quite expensive.

Knowing France, a bureaucratic nightmare awaits his survivors. 

There's always the Weekend at Bernie's solution if AF isn't flexible ( not to make light of the poor chap's demise).

6 minutes ago, Yann55 said:

I was wondering how long it would take before someone made a joke with that name, and if the joke would be funny. It is, so thanks for the good laugh. I wish some other witty poster would go further, as the combination 'Fokker Friendship' is quite a giggle in itself ...

What's so funny with the name "Fokker Friendship" it's the real name of a Dutch built aircraft and still very much in use today. A very strong small size aircraft and good reputation of not many air crash due to mechanical fault.

1 minute ago, madusa said:

What's so funny with the name "Fokker Friendship" it's the real name of a Dutch built aircraft and still very much in use today. A very strong small size aircraft and good reputation of not many air crash due to mechanical fault.

The Fokker: Friendship and Fellowship, Vickers: Viscount and Vanguard, Hawker : 748....were pretty much the backbone of the European aviation sector until the jet age.

4 hours ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

Thank goodness it was on Air France and not Thai air. If it was Thai air we would have had 20 conspiracy theories by now. 

RIP 

Being French has also not helped this post, ... check this space for cheesy cliché's  :blush:

There is little to be surprised about this event. We do die and every now and again it is during flight.  Mortality statistics (I had to check) for the UK in 2009 were that there were 896.4 deaths per 100,000 of the population. All causes.

Just calculate the number of people in the air in an aicraft at any one time (~700,000) and there is a very good probability one or more may drop of the twig during the course of the flight.

6 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

A great joke......at the expense of a deceased person.

Condolences to friends family and loved ones.

Just one of many "jokes".

Just imagine his family would read some of the disgusting posts here.

I have cleaned up just the worst and the legitimate responses.

If it does not stop the thread will be closed and warnings can be earned.

9 minutes ago, fantom said:

I too am tired of these posts. They are not funny and are hurtfull to family and friends of those who have died.

To be fair, other than the OP the posts have just gone AWOL.

Edited by GuiseppeD

5 hours ago, Ratcher said:

Why do people commenting assume he was coming here for sexual gratification? Too many people on this forum with one track minds and no repect.  RIP.

Now, dont be like that. Every TV member is sure that he was coming here for the beautiful Islands, the culture, and the never ending rivers of  fine Cabernet that Pattaya is so famous for.He probably thought that a rare Chateaubriand and a bottle of a vin de pays de Aude would be a regular item at the local Hooters.

5 hours ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

Bugger, what a kick in the kishka's. Paid for his trip, anticipated how great it was gonna be, changed up all his Euro's, imagining what sorts of wonderful tricks he was going to get up to, and gets his ticket out before he even gets here. The Gods can be very cruel at times.

Bon Voyage  Mon Ami, RIP

Lets  be  Franc , look at the money  he has  saved himself .

Pattaya  griefs , RIP . 

Edited by elliss

Rip.

Makes us all wonder if this stupid big brother idea to work till we retire at 65 is ludicrous.  Guy probably coming over to do a recon.   But what difference does his trip agenda make?  The take away is live like there may not be a tomorrow.  

15 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

DVT >>> ???

Of course, the cause of death in this case is unknown.. However, DVT is massively underestimated and people are for the most part hugely unaware of the risks....

It is surprising how common and how under-reported Deep Vein Thrombosis is.

DVT can often lead to a heart attack (when the clot plugs up the pulmonary artery), or a stroke if the clot travels into the brain or a Pulmonary Emobilism as the clot passes into the lungs. 

With a Pulmonary Embolism it is reported that 1/3rd of sufferers die painlessly within 90 seconds. 

It doesn't take much for a clot to develop on someone sitting still for a lengthy period of time especially when combined with other risk factors (blood pressure, genetic susceptibility etc)... 

Common sense mitigation factors are:

1) Flight Socks (or stockings) or even just the Calf Skins.

2) Baby aspirin daily.

3) Do those 'flight exercises' you see on the screen

4) For those at higher risk: Upon advice of a Dr. - Heparin injections before a long haul flight.

Dear Smithy 

i can only confirm 100% what you say in your post. 

Following an accident that generated considerable discomfort if I used my leg, I became "an immovable object" for a few weeks, Hospital 1 diagnosis way off target and it was only once my leg and foot had ballooned out to over three times it's normal ( and rather well turned) size that Hospital 2 identified DVT.

Apart from the danger it is a roaringly uncomfortable experience, annoyingly painful and has a very long recovery time. 

Whilst not exactly an athlete my BP and "vitals" are all normal  no record of genetic occurrences so jolly scary.

Dont recommend catching that!

13 hours ago, madusa said:

Not fairy tales, in 1970s, small town small aircraft 45 seaters, they did dismantle the seats and tie the coffin down then covered up nicely. But today air cargo aircraft and put 200 coffins may be i don't know, they don't have to dismantle the seats of passengers aircraft any more.

a single event. how does that match your generalising fairy tale

I used to work for airline at airport yes, you have to dismantle the seats for the coffin to fit in, you can't put it in the cargo hold.

:saai: