opalred

for years i have banned the wife any durian near the house

a friend of hers sent a bag of them to her from her south farm

not telling me when we went to pickup 

as i smelled them i told her they were not coming in the car

so she tired them on top of the car

there was boos and laughed at me by the locals as if i am stupid

is it over time they have lost there sense of smell

mate, they might not smell the best but they taste great, I put up with the smell because I enjoy eating them unlike those stinking bloody beans, now they are a totally different matter

I don't understand why people enjoy durian. Tried a small amount, like eating bland grapefruit. Then my breath smelled like sewer gas for 3-4 hours.

My Thai GF loves it. She eats it with a neighbor, it's barred in our place. Then she comes home complaining of a stomach-ache. Som nam na.

I think it is mostly an acquired taste. It took me about 20 years to REALLY like them, although I enjoyed a small taste before then a few times a year. The smell does not bother me now as I equate it with something that tastes good.

for years i have banned the wife any durian near the house
a friend of hers sent a bag of them to her from her south farm
not telling me when we went to pickup 
as i smelled them i told her they were not coming in the car
so she tired them on top of the car
there was boos and laughed at me by the locals as if i am stupid
is it over time they have lost there sense of smell

Chuck her bloody durian in the klong and tell her that you wear the trousers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, GuiseppeD said:

Chuck her bloody durian in the klong and tell her that you wear the trousers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah the click bait queen strikes again- don't you just love those alpha male comments- so old fashioned these days.

A large majority of Thais really enjoy durian- I do too. I like this time of year pickups driving around selling amazing tropical fruit at ridiculously low prices. 

What right has anyone to dictate what someone has to eat- you may not like it too much- so what. 

I have been adicted to Durian for over twenty years, took awhile for me to eat it while I was stationed in the South, I tried some cold - had a seperate fridge in back of the house for all the stinky Thai stuff - it's like a custard cream and once I start eating it, I really can't stop.  Went to Malaysia on Training with the Gurkha's (awhile ago) and we happened upon a Durian Festival - was told all they eat for a week is Durian and drank Mekong whiskey, all the babies are born about 8-9 months later. (wondering if any were mine)  One thing, don't eat Durian and drink Beer - the Durian burps are killers

Edited by TunnelRat69

15 hours ago, bazza73 said:

Tried a small amount, like eating bland grapefruit.

Not sure how to describe the taste of durian, but if it tasted like a grapefruit I think you had a bad experience. Love the taste myself, but these days it's definitely expensive.

Its a great taste cant see what your complaing about very little smell to it. Not suprised the locals are laughing at you. Good price this year too. Just bought 3 all good should get 4 or 5 friut out of each.

4 hours ago, little mary sunshine said:

Love the Durian!!!   I have 4 pieces in the fridge now!!

Wrapped in four plastic bags, and a new box of baking

Soda on the same shelf.     

No where near as vile as the smell of Parmesan Cheese!!

Now, you see, i love the smell of Parmesan, and Brie,, and the really smelly and runny stuff that you put in a wooden box and bake.Each to their own.

1 hour ago, Gregster said:

I've (eventually) been able to accept durian smell. However, its the Isaan Papaya Salad smell that I will NEVER EVER tolerate emoji40.png

Used to be the same until i started eating it now i dont smell it any more. 

I stayed in hotels and never had durian. Then moved here and a Thai lady gave me a bite. Now I think it tastes great and smells great. Would have told you the opposite response before I tried it. Maybe because it tastes so good my mind tricks my nose but love it. 

Well at least the cicadas are finally gone.  I would have eaten a durian out of your wife's ass to make that noise stop.  I have not heard a thing except bug screaming in 2 months.  My definition of living third world is that  more often than is normal you have to inhale other peoples excrement.  In this country they tack on a fruit that smells the same way.  My gf put some of that flattened squid in the BRAND NEW CAR a few weeks ago and I almost put her head through the windshield.  Have these people any olfactory awareness at all???

Edited by ThaiWai

9 hours ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

Now, you see, i love the smell of Parmesan, and Brie,, and the really smelly and runny stuff that you put in a wooden box and bake.Each to their own.

Parmesan or brie or durian?

Pussy!

Try Munster, Herve, Brusselse Kaas, Norwegian Gammelost, camembert.

Well after sell by date of course.

It is the other way round in our home.

I like Durian and she complains of the smell, it is even her friends who sometimes arrive with one as a gift for me without regard for her. My fridge has that slight odour right now!

On 2017-6-9 at 11:57 PM, bazza73 said:

I don't understand why people enjoy durian. Tried a small amount, like eating bland grapefruit. Then my breath smelled like sewer gas for 3-4 hours.

You should avoid eating spoilt durian because fresh durian doesn't ever taste like bland grapefruit.

20 hours ago, peterb17 said:

Ah the click bait queen strikes again- don't you just love those alpha male comments- so old fashioned these days.

A large majority of Thais really enjoy durian- I do too. I like this time of year pickups driving around selling amazing tropical fruit at ridiculously low prices. 

What right has anyone to dictate what someone has to eat- you may not like it too much- so what. 

Don't see how his post was a "click bait". Let me educate you what "click bait" actually is. It's content whose main purpose is to attract attention and encourage visitors to click on a link to a particular web page aimed at generating online advertising revenue. Eg. relying on sensationalist headlines or eye-catching thumbnail pictures.

I do agree with your last sentence, what right does the OP have to dictate what his wife eats. If she likes durian then go for it and eat a few :)

Edited by bbi1

8 hours ago, ThaiWai said:

Well at least the cicadas are finally gone.  I would have eaten a durian out of your wife's ass to make that noise stop.

Is that before or after washing out her bumhole before you "eat a durian out of the OP wife's ass"? :shock1:

22 hours ago, little mary sunshine said:

Love the Durian!!!   I have 4 pieces in the fridge now!!

Wrapped in four plastic bags, and a new box of baking

Soda on the same shelf.     

No where near as vile as the smell of Parmesan Cheese!!

I agree and I think Durian smells nice. But each to his own as for my taste the vilest smell on the planet are Indian curries, disgustingly revolting.