Volunteering AND studying Thai—which visa to get?

I'm travelling to Thailand in a few months. I want to both study Thai at a school while I'm there, as well as do some volunteering. However, I am a bit confused about which visa to get—should I get the Non-Immigrant ED visa, or the Non-Immagrant O visa?

- Also, say I have one of those visas, but I stop the activity that is associated with the visa (if I have a Non-Immigrant O visa and I stop volunteering, or vice versa), what would happen?

- Are only a few schools classified as possible to obtain a Non-Immigrant ED visa, or you can choose amongst a large number of schools?
- Finally, if my duration of stay in Thailand is in the 5-month range, what are the chances that my extension of stay (I think of 1 year total?) is refused?

Edited by KevT

To legally do volunteer work you need a non-o visa and work permit.

If you got the non-o visa and work permit you could still attend school. There is no requirement to have a non-ed visa to attend school.

In order to get a non-ed visa and extensions of stay the school must be registered at the Ministry of Education.

If you want to stay for 5 to 6 months you would need to enroll in a 200 hour course of study at a language school. That would allow a 90 day entry form the non-ed visa and one 90 day extension at immigration.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

To legally do volunteer work you need a non-o visa and work permit.

If you got the non-o visa and work permit you could still attend school. There is no requirement to have a non-ed visa to attend school.

In order to get a non-ed visa and extensions of stay the school must be registered at the Ministry of Education.

If you want to stay for 5 to 6 months you would need to enroll in a 200 hour course of study at a language school. That would allow a 90 day entry form the non-ed visa and one 90 day extension at immigration.

That answers all of my questions. Thanks!

You see many folk on You Tube doing this too stay .Why don't they just ask the same money as for retirement folks.Its only a by pass, most just turn up ,not even slightly interested in learning Thai.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

54 minutes ago, Ace of Pop said:

You see many folk on You Tube doing this too stay .Why don't they just ask the same money as for retirement folks.Its only a by pass, most just turn up ,not even slightly interested in learning Thai.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I want to go to a Thai language school—no matter if it has any (visa) benefits or not.

A retirement visa/extension PROHIBITS you from working in Thailand.

That is why a retirement visa/extension is useless for working in Thailand.

Often a retirement visa will say that when it is issued.

This NOT true of a marriage visa/ extension  based on marriage to a Thai.

Lke everything, there are possible exceptions.

For example a person can qualify for a retirement visa/extension and later marry a Thai.

Normally that marriage will mean changing his/her retirement visa to a marriage visa to allow working in country.