Report ranking Thailand a dangerous country to visit is based on outdated information: Foreign Ministry

Jonathan Fairfield

8 minutes ago, sitti said:

I wonder why farangs keep coming here? why won't they leave this country? There are so many farangs here that cause troubles.

U have no money for a starter no one to rob or fall off a balcony u r a racist when they go can they take military  jaunta with them if ! thais are so concerned and the girls who hacked up the go go girl and the bravado gang who beat up an old security guard and girls. The country would be emptied quickly all the scum gone . Who else will u blame . Iast one left turn the lights off .

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, sitti said:

I wonder why farangs keep coming here? why won't they leave this country? There are so many farangs here that cause troubles.

You are so right. Your country would be so much better off if they never came at all.

You poor poor naive person. Obviously one of the many brainwashed victims.

A possible way of reducing the road deaths is to actually train and TEST applicants for driving licences.

Is there a special licence for drivers of public vehicles?  I'm referring of course to those let loose on the grey 'buses of death' the tour companies love to foist onto unsuspecting tourists.

I'm still shaking after a forgettable morning in Phuket last week.   That such an idiot could be allowed to drive a van full of visitors amazes me, and he could see nothing wrong with overtaking a truck on a blind corner on a mountain road.

Dangerous to your physical health due to road traffic accidents, the heat, the culture of alcoholism among foreigners, weight gain through a fatty and oily diet, and lack of exercise. Dangerous to your mental health for a whole raft of reasons, mostly domestic and financial. Most of the aforementioned are avoidable if you have the discipline to take control of, and sort your life out.

From Wikipedia:

"Official corruption is rampant in Thailand.[1][2]It ranges from bribery to outright police collusion. The interplay of extremely addictive drugs, prostitution, political paralysis, corruption and collusion, a culture of impunity,[3] international tourism and trade, traditional Buddhist tolerance[4] and tendency to ignore problems has led to an increasingly multifaceted and complex crime epidemic in the country. Juvenile delinquency has also been increasing in recent years.[5][6] A book entitled Thailand: Deadly Destination has been written by John Stapleton about the dangers gone unreported in the media."

Enough said[7]

2 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

These people just refuse to take there heads out of the sand!

It is dangerous here.....expats have to take precautions everywhere they go......not saying it's much different from many places, but Thailand can be and is, deadly for the most minor reason!

i feel far safer here than virtually anywhere in the world- the only precautions i take are making sure all zippers and buttons

on my clothes are closed; of course, i don't hang out w/non-Thai speaking expats,

neither do i ever spend time in areas populated by non-Thai speaking expats such as Pattaya, Patong, Patpong, etc

-ANY place is dangerous if one conducts oneself as a modern-day colonist, refusing to learn the language whatsoever,

and willfully ignoring the country's culture and customs

2 hours ago, RBOP said:

Driving in Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam is far more dangerous. But driving is Thailand is quite dangerous without any doubt.  In terms of violent crimes Thailand much safer than US for sure.

You should wake up and face reality:

Gunpolicy.org, an online database of global gun statistics run by the University of Sydney’s School of Public Health, believes Thailand has one of the highest gun homicide rates in Asia.

It estimates 3.48 murders per 100,000 people in Thailand, three times the rate of neighboring Cambodia and on a par with the United States.

GunPolicy.org puts the total number of firearms at closer to 10 million, once the thriving black market trade is counted.

As the U.S. State Department’s Bureau for Diplomatic Security wrote in its safety report for overseas staff: “Thailand has a fervent gun culture on par with the United States and has become a world leader in firearms-related homicides.”

Your statement concerning traffic safety makes you look very uninformed.

Stay safe

2 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

These people just refuse to take there heads out of the sand!

It is dangerous here.....expats have to take precautions everywhere they go......not saying it's much different from many places, but Thailand can be and is, deadly for the most minor reason!

Funny I wouldn't be here if I didn't find it the opposite, safer and less stressful than being almost anywhere alone in Ontario trying to "pretend" like I'm minding my own business around locals with less of a clue than me.

19 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Number one for bike deaths and number two in the world for all road deaths sounds pretty dangerous to me. Add to that the laughable safety surrounding the electrical installations, the Thais famous ability to snap and go from clam to killing machine over loss of face, the corrupt Police and a few million stray dogs and it's not safe at all.

Not to mention the bungee jumping from balconies...without elastic!

'“The WEF admitted that some information was outdated, some information was biased as it was collected using questionnaires. The WEF promised to improve its ranking methodology by using more statistics from reliable international sources and reducing the use of questionnaire surveys,” Busadee quoted theWEF executives as saying.'

Ah, a typical Thai quote vs whatever the unvarnished version might have been.

And just how, exactly, would a questionnaire, the obvious way to carry out a survey, be biased? Complete BS ... unless you are the criticised party. Well, Thailand could always sue the WEF for defamation.

There are many kinds of dangers in Thailand, and they are in fact acknowledged by many Thais, such as my wife who tells me to shut my mouth every time I feel like reacting to a reckless driver or to some act of barbarism committed in my proximity...she is afraid I might get killed...and I am afraid she is right.

Danger is not for farangs only, far from it...Thais kill each other with total abandon over almost nothing.

A few months ago, one of my neighbors, a 16 year old high school student, was attacked by 16 other students, inside the school...the whole thing degenerated into a knife fight with 3 students ending in the hospital with deep cuts.

Another time, the drunkard of the village threatened me, a farang, with his rifle pointed to my face...and a few weeks later he went after a neighbor, a Thai, with a machete!

The Land of Smiles...

39 minutes ago, jenifer d said:

i feel far safer here than virtually anywhere in the world- the only precautions i take are making sure all zippers and buttons

on my clothes are closed; of course, i don't hang out w/non-Thai speaking expats,

neither do i ever spend time in areas populated by non-Thai speaking expats such as Pattaya, Patong, Patpong, etc

-ANY place is dangerous if one conducts oneself as a modern-day colonist, refusing to learn the language whatsoever,

and willfully ignoring the country's culture and customs

You make sure your zip is closed? I'm pleased to hear that.

21 hours ago, ldiablo72 said:

Just because a place is listed as a top tourist destination does not mean it cannot also be one of the most dangerous.

for me they go hand in  hand, can someone suggest a top destination that is not at least a little:ninja: edgy

2 hours ago, alphaflight said:

You are so right. Your country would be so much better off if they never came at all.

You poor poor naive person. Obviously one of the many brainwashed victims.

:smile:Take it easy, my main man. Farangs have been complaining about A LOT of things for years. Yet, you keep coming and many choose to stay here for extended period by abusing or violating the immigration. The number of people coming to Thailand keeps growing especially when they feel Thailand is "unsafe". That makes sense. Knowingly coming to dangerous place with no real purpose would simply make you (rude word).

I really wonder when you will actually put your money where your mouth is by stop coming here or leave, something bunch of people here keep saying for years now.

"Your country", I'm confused. There are plenty of non-thai, non-farang foreigners that call farang farang :wink: Unless you were actually talking about my country but that would be completely irrelevant to this topic...

Getting more dangerous by the day. You also have to factor in that pretty well all the laboring jobs and cleaning work, petrol stations attendants and so on are now filled by Cambodian, Burmese, Lao workers, so many unskilled and uneducated Thais can't find work and are idle, so increased crime. And increased resentment, which results in particularly nasty crimes.

I tend to believe what I see on local Thai TV news channels which on a daily basis reports serious crimes including murder, robbery and assault coupled with the frequent reports of death and serious injury on THai roads which are the most lethal in the world - danger lurking on a daily basis so Thailand is now a very dangerous country and reflects it's Western style obsession with wealth, greed and selfishness

The days of eastern tranquillity and Buddhist values have long vanished

JGV

3 hours ago, sitti said:

It's very simple sitti, just close your borders to all farangs and Thailand will be trouble free.

Welcome to LoS, just don't piss off the locals, taxi mafia, military junta, police, or even another foreigner as you may end up as tomorrows headline news on Thai Visa, The Nation or even the BP. Hopefully you got your insurance as you stepped onto Thai soil, enjoy your stay,   :whistling:

thailand-attacks.jpg

5 hours ago, frank83628 said:

moan moan moan, but not leaving the place you slate so much!

the majority of tourist deaths involve alcohol, don't blame that... just the country.

the driving is bad for sure,   Thai and burmese etc have the excuse that driving tests are not compulsory but the farangs don't and i see it everyday from all nationalities.

"Evening all, this is your friendly Thai-bashing policeman on duty to ensure you say only good things about the locals".

Edited by jesimps

Am I in a dream or something.....reading the posts on here it would be safe to assume that the majority of posters come from countries that are havens of peace and tranquility.

We should give ye a medal for bravery for even purchasing the ticket to come here. Wake up and smell the flowers....are you seriously telling me that your own country back home is much more safer than Thailand?

I stated yesterday that I have never been to the USA so couldn't comment ( I only talked about Europe) but on second thoughts .....when I watch a few episodes of  the programme "CI" I think I have a fair idea of how safe that country is.

Edited by dotpoom