Looking for a Flatbed Scanner

grin

I have been using a combination of a Samsung laser printer and the scanning function on an old Brother all-in-one scanner/printer/copier. The Brother device just died and I'd like to get a flatbed scanner. I don't do a lot of scanning so I do not need a scanner with a feeder. Also I have given up on inkjet printers.

I have an old Canon LIDE flatbed scanner that I always liked but OS X stopped supporting it long ago and I can't get the TWAIN SANE drivers to work with Sierra. I've been out looking but have not seen any flatbed scanners. Has anyone seen a late model Canon LIDE scanner anywhere? Or any flatbed scanners in Chiang Mai, for that matter?

Do they even make them anymore?

I couldn't find one in New Zealand. The 3 in 1 are the rage.

Anyway, the 3 in 1 are probably as cheap now as a scanner on it's own.

I have a perfectly good Canon scanner that won't work with the current supported OS. Shame on MS for that.

To answer your question, I haven't seen any around for years. Perhaps on line?

I have been very impressed with the Brother all in one laser printer/scanner/copier MFC 2700DW.

It has a document feeder and will work on OSX by USB, LAN or wirelessly.  Better still, it keeps the paper within its own footprint which many printers don't.  It also works as a fax if you remember those.

You can get 3rd party refills for the toner too.

Edited by Greenside

OP: Have you tried Vuescan?  They have an OSX version and that may get round your problem with the LIDE.  I've been using Vuescan on Windows (7 and later 10) to work with a Nikon ED4000 which had no recent driver releases and I have to say that I preferred it to the original Nikon software.

I have been using a combination of a Samsung laser printer and the scanning function on an old Brother all-in-one scanner/printer/copier. The Brother device just died and I'd like to get a flatbed scanner. I don't do a lot of scanning so I do not need a scanner with a feeder. Also I have given up on inkjet printers.  

I have an old Canon LIDE flatbed scanner that I always liked but OS X stopped supporting it long ago and I can't get the TWAIN SANE drivers to work with Sierra. I've been out looking but have not seen any flatbed scanners. Has anyone seen a late model Canon LIDE scanner anywhere? Or any flatbed scanners in Chiang Mai, for that matter?

I second VueScan. That supports older Canon LIDE scanners on the latest versions of OSX and Windows.

Thanks for the responses.

I tried Vuescan for Sierra and it does work with my LIDE 20. One problem is that it is not integrated with OS X, i.e. you can't scan from Preview, etc. The license is $40 with upgrades for a year or $90 with upgrades for life. Not sure if it is worth it for a scanner that I paid under $50 over 10 years ago.

I was just in Pantip recently and didn't see the LIDE 220 in IT City but will go back and check. I'm sure they can order it if it is not in stock.

On the other hand my wife reminded me that an all-in-one can be used by the rest of the family to make copies easily. I saw an HP Deskjet 2132 at BigC for 1590 Baht.

Funny thing is that the continuous ink supply system on my dead Brother all-in-one looks like it could easily be transferred to an HP Deskjet (YouTube videos). And I was just about to toss the lot of it.

I tried Vuescan for Sierra and it does work with my LIDE 20. One problem is that it is not integrated with OS X, i.e. you can't scan from Preview, etc. The license is $40 with upgrades for a year or $90 with upgrades for life. Not sure if it is worth it for a scanner that I paid under $50 over 10 years ago.

I was just in Pantip recently and didn't see the LIDE 220 in IT City but will go back and check. I'm sure they can order it if it is not in stock.

On the other hand my wife reminded me that an all-in-one can be used by the rest of the family to make copies easily. I saw an HP Deskjet 2132 at BigC for 1590 Baht.

Funny thing is that the continuous ink supply system on my dead Brother all-in-one looks like it could easily be transferred to an HP Deskjet (YouTube videos). And I was just about to toss the lot of it.

I think that Lazada has the most current Canon LIDE scanner.

10 minutes ago, grin said:

Trouble with the HP printers is the cartridges become unavailable long before the unit wears out....

I got tired of chasing them + refilling when the cartidge sources dried up and the refills lasted only a short while.....Especially with sporadic use - though sometimes heavy....

I bought a Epson L365 about 18 months ago & have never looked back....

It prints, scans, & copies....With wifi we use/control it off our phones & laptop.....My wife uses it to.print (many many) pictures on photo paper for albums & display....My 16 year old uses it for her school studies & fun stuff & my wife searches & prints out extra study work for the 9 year old....

Never a hiccup & many reams of paper later it works flawlessly....

I bought an extra bottle of each color when we got it - so far have only topped off the black ink....

This has the bottles on the side as I'm done, finished, kaput with HP and hunting down cartridges....

You might want to check it out....

I literally spent more money running down the HP cartridges, then ink than I did buying the Epson....

It just wasn't worth the hassle....

I have an Epson Stylus CX7300. The printer doesn't work unless you put the expensive Epson inks in it, and even that's not guaranteed. 

But the scanner works. At least for now. 

I was thinking of trading some ThaiVisa member something for it. 

PM me if you have any ideas. 

2 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

Trouble with the HP printers is the cartridges become unavailable long before the unit wears out....

I got tired of chasing them + refilling when the cartidge sources dried up and the refills lasted only a short while.....Especially with sporadic use - though sometimes heavy....

I bought a Epson L365 about 18 months ago & have never looked back....

It prints, scans, & copies....With wifi we use/control it off our phones & laptop.....My wife uses it to.print (many many) pictures on photo paper for albums & display....My 16 year old uses it for her school studies & fun stuff & my wife searches & prints out extra study work for the 9 year old....

Never a hiccup & many reams of paper later it works flawlessly....

I bought an extra bottle of each color when we got it - so far have only topped off the black ink....

This has the bottles on the side as I'm done, finished, kaput with HP and hunting down cartridges....

You might want to check it out....

I literally spent more money running down the HP cartridges, then ink than I did buying the Epson....

It just wasn't worth the hassle....

Note - I think all 4 ink bottles cost about 600B-700B.....

Less than one short lasting HP cartridge....

If I get the HP Deskjet I won't be needing more cartridges. My son will just move the continous ink supply system from the cartridges in the dead Brother printer over to the HP cartridges. This is an aftermarket exterior bottle ink supply. These exterior ink bottle kits seem quite common around here.

Most likely I will get the LIDE 220 and the HP Deskjet. That way the Deskjet can be put in a room other than my home office and my family can use it without disturbing me. I will carry on alone with my separate laser printer and flatbed scanner. Like I mentioned before I can do without inkjet printers personally.

Some good information in the replies here. Wireless all-in-ones sound great if you like inkjets. My Samsung M2020 laser printer is wireless and it is nice to be able to print from my phone and iPad with no hassle. I suppose no one has invented a laser all-in-one printer yet.

The Brother unit I referred to above is a laser unit.  Inkjets need to be used frequently in this climate or they clog up - unless you really need the colour then a laser is a much safer bet.  Brother is better than Samsung in my experience.

I missed that on my first read about the Brother laser all-in-one. Looked it up online and it seems like a great deal for $200. Too bad I already have a laser printer. I've always had good luck with Brother printers. I bought my first Brother printer nearly 40 years ago. It was more like an electronic typewriter without a keyboard.

On 6/12/2017 at 0:38 PM, Greenside said:

I have been very impressed with the Brother all in one laser printer/scanner/copier MFC 2700DW.

It has a document feeder and will work on OSX by USB, LAN or wirelessly.  Better still, it keeps the paper within its own footprint which many printers don't.  It also works as a fax if you remember those.

You can get 3rd party refills for the toner too.

Looks good.  The operating manual I found says that it can receive fax directly into a pc but not a mac.  Can you confirm this and do you know any work around so that it the received fax can go into a Mac without printing and scanning it?

Thank you.

Edited by Dante99

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2017 at 0:59 PM, Dante99 said:

Looks good.  The operating manual I found says that it can receive fax directly into a pc but not a mac.  Can you confirm this and do you know any work around so that it the received fax can go into a Mac without printing and scanning it?

Thank you.

Sorry, I have no idea if or how that can be done.  The unit I have experience with is not connected to a land line which is required for faxing via the Brother.  It works really well in all other respects though.