Scooter tire woes ( Vespa )

RobFord

After puncturing the rear MOE Pirelli tire with 23,000 on it, I decided to give the Michelin Power Pures a try. Not a good choice.

After 10,000 km the front is like a squared off V. Difficult to hold a line both on the straights and when turning into / thru corners. Below 30 kmph it's just weird. Inspires no confidence in the wet, particularly with a passenger.

I've just switched to the Diablo Scooter and it feels ok, but it's damned expensive.

Anyone else have any experience with Power Pure, or can make recommendations?

If you look carefully you can see that the left side of the tire is actually scalloped. This is due to crowned roads in Thailand causing additional wear on that side. The photo was taken after the tire was removed. The V shape and scalloping is much more apparent when the tire is mounted on the rim.

IMG_0118.JPGl

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Pirellis are normally good ime 

as with everything ,make sure to buy from a reputable dealer to avoid the chinese fakes etc 

all day parked in the  sun can damage tyres prematurely in thailand too ,even if you dont have big miles on them

they sometimes need replacing......

When I was a kid (1960's) on my Vespa SS180 we just bought the cheapest, Ceat  comes to mind.....We could crank the thing over to get sparks off the spare wheel cover, and muffler on the other side....But then tyres had knobbly bits on, a proper tread...:stoner:

Correct tyre pressures for your weight are a must for even tyre wear. Having said that, I bought a Lambretta in 1956 and after a while experienced tyre problems. I took it back to the tyre producing company in London and they replaced the tyres at no cost. I can't see that happening in Thailand.

The Vespa usually sports 10 inch rims, in some cases 11. That means, that the tire on a Vespa with 10.000 Km on the clock equals 17.000 Km on a 17 inch rim.  I change the rubber on my 110 Yamaha  Nano Spark (17 inch) latest at 15.000 Km. So, a tire on a Vespa with 10k is pretty much done and should be changed immediately. The reason that motorcyclists have to change their tires more often than car drivers is due to the fact, that the rubber mixture is - for a good reason - much softer, than those used on car tires. There should be no problem with the mayor brands like Heidenau (!), Metzeler, Michelin and Pirelli. I will not comment on riding a MOE Pirelli tire with 23,000 on it.

OK Transam , in the '60s I had a 500cc Norton , punch ups at Brighton , tying the aerials on scooters in knots , oh what fun we had.

Now I have a Forza as Nortons are more hard to come by.  Back to topic.  Tyre pressures are interesting , mine should be 25psi front - 29 rear. Same everywhere ..check when cold.   Now cold here on a hot day is a lot different to cold on a cold day in Iceland. A few months ago on a hot road over here the road holding was horrideous . I now run the tyres with 20psi front and 25 rear, much better .

The Vespa usually sports 10 inch rims, in some cases 11. That means, that the tire on a Vespa with 10.000 Km on the clock equals 17.000 Km on a 17 inch rim.  I change the rubber on my 110 Yamaha  Nano Spark (17 inch) latest at 15.000 Km. So, a tire on a Vespa with 10k is pretty much done and should be changed immediately. The reason that motorcyclists have to change their tires more often than car drivers is due to the fact, that the rubber mixture is - for a good reason - much softer, than those used on car tires. There should be no problem with the mayor brands like Heidenau (!), Metzeler, Michelin and Pirelli. I will not comment on riding a MOE Pirelli tire with 23,000 on it.

Even with 23,000 km it hadn't touched the wear marks and was replaced due to puncture. The tires still had good adhesion, the rear would only lock up for the last 3 feet under full rear brake. The Power Pure wouldn't lock up at all when new.
It's my understanding that when the tire manufacturers make a MOE run for a vehicle they use a harder compound. When the tires are shot the owner will buy the same brand expecting similar mileage. I'm not expecting 23,000 from the Pirelli Diablo Scooter tire.
My mistake was knowingly going with a soft compound performance tire without realizing it would only last 10,000 km ( and not like the front feel ).
Live and learn.

OK Transam , in the '60s I had a 500cc Norton , punch ups at Brighton , tying the aerials on scooters in knots , oh what fun we had.

Now I have a Forza as Nortons are more hard to come by.  Back to topic.  Tyre pressures are interesting , mine should be 25psi front - 29 rear. Same everywhere ..check when cold.   Now cold here on a hot day is a lot different to cold on a cold day in Iceland. A few months ago on a hot road over here the road holding was horrideous . I now run the tyres with 20psi front and 25 rear, much better .

Today I buy a pressure gauge.

33 minutes ago, RobFord said:

Today I buy a pressure gauge.

Good idea, as inner tubes (Thai quality) can lose around 1psi per day.  This is a good one, easy to read and only up to 60psi, not the regular 100psi. Best to keep it underneath the seat, but wrapped in a piece of cloth to prevent scratching of the glas and vibration.  I bought mine at Big C Extra (189THB)and Tesco Lotus. Keep the receipt, as there is a warranty of 6 months.

tyre-gauge-brand-new-diff-brand-thailand

Edited by fxe1200

2 hours ago, fxe1200 said:

Good idea, as inner tubes (Thai quality) can lose around 1psi per day.  This is a good one, easy to read and only up to 60psi, not the regular 100psi. Best to keep it underneath the seat, but wrapped in a piece of cloth to prevent scratching of the glas and vibration.  I bought mine at Big C Extra (189THB)and Tesco Lotus. Keep the receipt, as there is a warranty of 6 months.

tyre-gauge-brand-new-diff-brand-thailand

Backlit LCD easier to read especially at night.  This one comes with a set of pressure sensitive caps so you can see the pressure without even using the gauge from a distance.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Car-LCD-Digital-Tire-Air-Pressure-Gauge-Meter-Tyre-Tester-for-Auto-Motorcycle-Automotivo-Diagnostic-tool/32804579599.html?spm=2114.01010208.3.290.aTapY6&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_2_10152_10065_5030013_10151_10068_10084_10083_10080_10082_10081_10110_10136_10137_519_10175_10111_10060_10112_10113_10155_10062_10114_437_10154_10056_10055_10054_10182_10059_303_100031_10099_10078_10079_10103_10073_10102_10096_10123_10189_10052_10053_10142_10107_142_10050_10051-10102,searchweb201603_13,ppcSwitch_5&btsid=5004c9b1-f1bb-4fd2-a257-497640ec9303&algo_expid=73e7003d-a50f-4d16-a0f7-d94c8d359cd0-39&algo_pvid=73e7003d-a50f-4d16-a0f7-d94c8d359cd0

Screen Shot 2017-06-16 at 2.00.54 PM.png

Edited by csabo

5 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

Ah. So it was you! :mad: :tongue: 

A mate of mine was going to Brighton. He said "Can I bring you anything back?" Jokingly I said "A set of side panels" As one of mine was dented and scratched. 

He came to work on Monday with a set of black and chrome AF Special side panels. Probably the rarest ones in the country. :ohmy:

22 hours ago, transam said:

When I was a kid (1960's) on my Vespa SS180 we just bought the cheapest, Ceat  comes to mind.....We could crank the thing over to get sparks off the spare wheel cover, and muffler on the other side....But then tyres had knobbly bits on, a proper tread...:stoner:

Blimey Tranny, the Vespa SS 180, that brings back memories.My mate had one of those in Blue and white. I think the Lambretta sx 200.225 was a better looking bike. Did you have the green paka coat with fur around the hood? And what about the chrome front framework,  that had about 6000,000 mirrors on it.? What time of the 60's was it? were the 'who' around then, or is that a bit early.?

9 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

Blimey Tranny, the Vespa SS 180, that brings back memories.My mate had one of those in Blue and white. I think the Lambretta sx 200.225 was a better looking bike. Did you have the green paka coat with fur around the hood? And what about the chrome front framework,  that had about 6000,000 mirrors on it.? What time of the 60's was it? were the 'who' around then, or is that a bit early.?

I was a "clean" Mod....NO mirrors or spot lights, a clean ride with just a fly screen...The SS180 l painted a Ferrari purple colour with copper plated side bubbles...Before that I had a Lambretta TV175, again copper plated panels and the engine was fuel injected.....Yes I had the USA Parka, no fur.....:stoner:.....My first scooter was a Lambretta Li150 that l road to school, that was 1964, no license and riding underage....The Who had just started up then...

1 hour ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

Have to agree the slim line Lambrettas looked great could not afford an SX 200 special but had great times in the U.K. on the LI 150 during 1966/7/8 complete with chrome ,mirrors and spotlights and me with the parka and fur

I have a 1964 TV 175 almost identical to SX but smaller engine which I found in Vietnam and shipped to Australia many years ago and restored now lives here in Thailand

4 hours ago, transam said:

I was a "clean" Mod....NO mirrors or spot lights, a clean ride with just a fly screen...The SS180 l painted a Ferrari purple colour with copper plated side bubbles...Before that I had a Lambretta TV175, again copper plated panels and the engine was fuel injected.....Yes I had the USA Parka, no fur.....:stoner:.....My first scooter was a Lambretta Li150 that l road to school, that was 1964, no license and riding underage....The Who had just started up then...

We wont get fooled again

3 hours ago, StevieAus said:

Have to agree the slim line Lambrettas looked great could not afford an SX 200 special but had great times in the U.K. on the LI 150 during 1966/7/8 complete with chrome ,mirrors and spotlights and me with the parka and fur

I have a 1964 TV 175 almost identical to SX but smaller engine which I found in Vietnam and shipped to Australia many years ago and restored now lives here in Thailand

I remember the LI, standing for Lambretta inocenti, and the TV, trials version. But do you remember the LD, with the slope at back seat. What did LD stand for? Tranny might know if he reads this.

10 hours ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

I remember the LI, standing for Lambretta inocenti, and the TV, trials version. But do you remember the LD, with the slope at back seat. What did LD stand for? Tranny might know if he reads this.

I had a LD 150 as my first Lambretta which was a real heavy looking machine and the headlight on the front panel not the handle bars

Re the definition of the letters I have a book about the history of Lambretta with fantastic photos and lists all the models the first being a Lambretta m A the m standing for motor scooter after that they seem to just have used the letters of the alphabet B C  D etc without any explanation

According to the book TV stands for Turismo Veloce whatever that means also there was a Junior cento 125cc my mate had one and a Lui but apart from those mainly alphabet letters

As a matter of interest the 175 and 200cc had an internal front disc brake never seen one before I changed mine for an external disc seems to work better

I did see some of the very old models in Vietnam for some reason Lambretta exported there while in other Asian countries including Thailand seems to have been predominately Vespa

7 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

I had a LD 150 as my first Lambretta which was a real heavy looking machine and the headlight on the front panel not the handle bars

Re the definition of the letters I have a book about the history of Lambretta with fantastic photos and lists all the models the first being a Lambretta m A the m standing for motor scooter after that they seem to just have used the letters of the alphabet B C  D etc without any explanation

According to the book TV stands for Turismo Veloce whatever that means also there was a Junior cento 125cc my mate had one and a Lui but apart from those mainly alphabet letters

As a matter of interest the 175 and 200cc had an internal front disc brake never seen one before I changed mine for an external disc seems to work better

I did see some of the very old models in Vietnam for some reason Lambretta exported there while in other Asian countries including Thailand seems to have been predominately Vespa

My TV175 had the front disc brake, totally useless, but this bike could out pace most of the other offerings cos l fitted an Ancellotti race exhaust silencer and a Wal Philips fuel injector..No air filter with that..:stoner:

My sister had a LD125, what an ugly bike....The Li125 was a slug, my chum had one and he could not keep up with the pack. My SS180 was a nice bike to ride but wasn't as quick as the Lambretta and was way too light at the front, had to be a bit more careful on the thing, but the girls liked it...:giggle:

19 minutes ago, transam said:

My TV175 had the front disc brake, totally useless, but this bike could out pace most of the other offerings cos l fitted an Ancellotti race exhaust silencer and a Wal Philips fuel injector..No air filter with that..:stoner:

My sister had a LD125, what an ugly bike....The Li125 was a slug, my chum had one and he could not keep up with the pack. My SS180 was a nice bike to ride but wasn't as quick as the Lambretta and was way too light at the front, had to be a bit more careful on the thing, but the girls liked it...:giggle:

Interesting about the girls liking scooters never had a problem finding one to sit on the back

When I bought the TV though didn't seem to have the same or any effect

perhaps because it was more than 30 years later and I was no longer 17

Fond memories only

1 minute ago, StevieAus said:

Interesting about the girls liking scooters never had a problem finding one to sit on the back

When I bought the TV though didn't seem to have the same or any effect

perhaps because it was more than 30 years later and I was no longer 17

Fond memories only

Well us guys and gals wanted to reach the dance hall not covered in grease and road muck..

great.gif.b30db335b3ff6167a0f8016d8f0e7136.gif....But I was referring to the Vespa SS180 against the Lambretta, probably more appealing to the birds, bit like matching with their makeup.....

SS180.jpg.5ac0cb2258edc6787a42f5ddfe6172e2.jpg

18 hours ago, fxe1200 said:

...and you never had your caps removed while parking??

No never. I've never even heard of anyone experiencing that.  Are you in Nigeria or something?  555 stealing tire caps?? Whatta laugh! Your paranoia is showing.

17 hours ago, tryasimight said:

And some posters whine about young Thai kids on scooters

Well young Trans was banned from riding  twice..........But I did have to face a Judge, mum was not a happy bunny as she had to appear too...:sad: