FLR application coming up

Hi,

My wife and stepson have their FLR (5 yr route) application due in august and I need a bit of help and advise please.

1: my wife passed her English test at A2 level by doing the KET in 2014, can we still use this for FLR?

2: I'm self-employed, do I need all the same documentation as when we applied for the original spouse visa?

3: my wife works part time at a restaurant, is there any paperwork she will need from her employer? (I meet the financial requirements through my earnings alone)

4: I'm struggling to find bills addressed to us both, all I have so far is council tax bills, can I use last years and this years to count for 2 of the 6 needed?

We just opened up a joint bank account so should receive letters to us together. We have lots of other bills etc. addressed to us individually, can we use these as well?

5: do I need to send all birth and marriage certificates etc. as before? Is there a list or a link for all documents that are required please?

Thanks for reading, hopefully someone can help as this is giving me a headache already!

James.

2 hours ago, jyoung1980 said:

My wife and stepson have their FLR (5 yr route) application due in august and I need a bit of help and advise please.

1: my wife passed her English test at A2 level by doing the KET in 2014, can we still use this for FLR?

2: I'm self-employed, do I need all the same documentation as when we applied for the original spouse visa?

3: my wife works part time at a restaurant, is there any paperwork she will need from her employer? (I meet the financial requirements through my earnings alone)

4: I'm struggling to find bills addressed to us both, all I have so far is council tax bills, can I use last years and this years to count for 2 of the 6 needed?

We just opened up a joint bank account so should receive letters to us together. We have lots of other bills etc. addressed to us individually, can we use these as well?

5: do I need to send all birth and marriage certificates etc. as before? Is there a list or a link for all documents that are required please?

Thanks for reading, hopefully someone can help as this is giving me a headache already!

A2 is fine. They recently changed the rules and A1 is no longer sufficient.

You need most of the documentation that you used before for Settlement plus a bit more.

If you already meet the financial requirements there is no need to include your wife's info.

It would have been a good thing to check the requirements for FLR after she got settlement. Somebody gave me that advice and I'm glad that I did. The correspondence should be a
spaced over the duration of the Settlement visa. Doctor and dentist appointments are fine. Council tax is fine. You need six with both of your names on or six from each of you individually addressed.

With in theory kids you actually need more. For my wife's application we had to get a birth certificate sent over from Thailand with a translation even though her son wasn't traveling.

1) This pass is fine, even if the certificate has expired or the provider is no longer on the approved list; provided she used it for her initial application. Remember, though, that she will need B1 and the LitUK test for ILR.

2) Yes, updated, of course. See the parts of the financial appendix and the specified evidence appendix relevant to you.

3) as rasg says, only if using her income to meet the financial requirement, either alone or in combination with yours.

4) As rasg says, you can use a combination of documents addressed to you both jointly and documents addressed to you each individually.

5) See Form FLR(M) and Family visas: extend your stay in the UK

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I'm nearly ready to send the application off but just need a little more advice please.

1. Do I need to go in to detail with the cover letter like I did for the original spouse visa?
Or can I keep it brief and simple?

2. Do I need to send copies of all original documents including bank statements ect ?

Thanks, James

17 hours ago, 7by7 said:

1) There is no real need for a sponsor's letter; but if you wish to include one make it brief.

2) Copies are not required.

Thanks 7by7, 1 more question, I have all the original documents but I don't have the original translations for the marriage certificate and my step sons birth certificate, we only have the photocopys. Will they accept them or should I get them translated again? Thanks, James. 

17 hours ago, 7by7 said:

1) There is no real need for a sponsor's letter; but if you wish to include one make it brief.

2) Copies are not required.

Thanks 7by7, 1 more question, I have all the original documents but I don't have the original translations for the marriage certificate and my step sons birth certificate, we only have the photocopys. Will they accept them or should I get them translated again? Thanks, James. 

My wife had to get her son's birth certificate sent from her family in Thailand from FLR last year plus £30 for a translation here in the UK even though he wasn't coming with her.

I doubt that the rules have changed since then. I wouldn't definitely send the original of your marriage certificate.

7 hours ago, jyoung1980 said:

I don't have the original translations for the marriage certificate and my step sons birth certificate, we only have the photocopys. Will they accept them or should I get them translated again?

As rasg says; they want original documents, so I recommend getting them translated again. You may need them for other purposes as well.

What happened to the original translations? 

Make sure you have the latest version of the form, I printed ours out a couple of months before, and it had a couple of minor amendments, thus had to be completely redone

5 hours ago, 7by7 said:

As rasg says; they want original documents, so I recommend getting them translated again. You may need them for other purposes as well.

What happened to the original translations? 

Thanks, I thought I might need to get them done again. I didn't get the original translations back from when we did the first settlement visa, they give me back the photocopys instead of the originals. Another £60 on top of the 3000 already 

5 hours ago, KNJ said:

Make sure you have the latest version of the form, I printed ours out a couple of months before, and it had a couple of minor amendments, thus had to be completely redone

I've got the 04/2017 version, hopefully this is the latest version. I'll double check before it gets submitted 

7 hours ago, rasg said:

My wife had to get her son's birth certificate sent from her family in Thailand from FLR last year plus £30 for a translation here in the UK even though he wasn't coming with her.

I doubt that the rules have changed since then. I wouldn't definitely send the original of your marriage certificate.

Thanks rasg, where did you get your translation done? 

1 hour ago, rasg said:

I found her online.

Supapan Lane (AKA - Kruu Jiab)

[email protected]

Very efficient. I scanned the birth certificate, emailed it and paid and it arrived a few days later.

I thought that they'd changed the FLR now to an online system.

Can someone confirm that 04/2017 is the latest version and it can be printed and submitted by post? Or does it have to be done online? 

Im getting confused with this now. 7by7? thanks, James 

To minimise the time, I opted to pay for the one day application at Croydon, not cheap, but very efficient, and staff were friendly.

As they want originals, I am assuming that online is not possible, but I am happy to be shown to be wrong

2 hours ago, KNJ said:

As they want originals, I am assuming that online is not possible, but I am happy to be shown to be wrong

Visit and settlement visa applications along with the appointment system and payment are online and have been for ages. I understand they have done the same for FLR. Apart from FLR itself the applicant has to attend VFS in Bangkok to submit all of the documentation.

21 hours ago, rasg said:

I thought that they'd changed the FLR now to an online system.

20 hours ago, jyoung1980 said:

Can someone confirm that 04/2017 is the latest version and it can be printed and submitted by post? Or does it have to be done online? 

Im getting confused with this now. 7by7? thanks, James 

In the past, the link I have saved to the FLR form and guidance has always taken me to the latest version; which is currently 4/2017.

But check again before completing it to be sure.

They have recently introduced an online application for FLR, but not for ILR. I haven't come across anyone who has used it yet, so do not know what you do with the required documents; I assume that somewhere in the online process it will tell you. 

But applicants still have the option of applying by post or in person if they wish.

Postal applications usually take up to 8 weeks, I assume online is about the same. Unless you have extremely urgent reasons for needing your passport back the same day, I see no point in paying the extra £590, taking the time of work and travelling to your nearest PEO just to get a same day decision.

20 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Postal applications usually take up to 8 weeks, I assume online is about the same. Unless you have extremely urgent reasons for needing your passport back the same day, I see no point in paying the extra £590, taking the time of work and travelling to your nearest PEO just to get a same day decision.

I agree. The cost of visas are bad enough.

2 hours ago, 7by7 said:

In the past, the link I have saved to the FLR form and guidance has always taken me to the latest version; which is currently 4/2017.

But check again before completing it to be sure.

They have recently introduced an online application for FLR, but not for ILR. I haven't come across anyone who has used it yet, so do not know what you do with the required documents; I assume that somewhere in the online process it will tell you. 

But applicants still have the option of applying by post or in person if they wish.

Thanks 7by7, I'll send by post as I've already printed and started to fill it out. 

I definitely won't be paying for a same day decision as I would have to pay twice, even though it's all on the same form. 

• 2 weeks later...

My wife will be submitting her application for a settlement visa in Bkk next month.

If she is successfull, how long does she have to activate the visa. Must she, along with myself and our children, depart for the U.K. within a month,or is the time frame more flexible?

My wife will be submitting her application for a settlement visa in Bkk next month.
If she is successfull, how long does she have to activate the visa. Must she, along with myself and our children, depart for the U.K. within a month,or is the time frame more flexible?
The visa vignette is valid for 30 days, if she doesn't use it within that time she must apply for, and pay for, the validity to be extended.