Ps3 And Wireless Smartzone Connection

alixjames

Hi, had my PS3 a few weeks now and tried to get it online yesterday via Wifi - no success. My apartment has the SmartZone service and I have a valid ID and password. I have set all the settings up for a Wireless connection, mainly automatically - its found my IP and stuff but I get the following message when it looks for the connection "The connection to the server timed out (80028E06)". I know there has been a problem with the net due to the Taiwan earthquake but I can use the net as normal now in net cafes.

When I go to the browser I get the Smartzone login screen - I enter my details but then another error when I submit them.

Might be a long shot but maybe some of you with PS3's use SmartZone also. Is there any particular settings I need to change to get it up and running? I get a 100% strength connection available so dont understand why I cant connect to the internet. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Alix

I've had problems connecting to the PSNetwork since the earthquake myself, but your problem may be that you haven't updated the system. When I first tried to sign on it wouldn't let me until I had done a system update, I had the same problem in the browser with a True log in screen. Entering the details resulted in another error too, even though they were correct. After running a system update it solved the problem. The Wifi is obviously working fine as it is bringing up the Smartzone log in screen.

Good Luck,

Konangrit

The last update was only a few days ago, so it's unlikely to be on your game's disc. If you have a memory stick or other storage device that the PS3 supports you can update it from your PC. The instructions on how to do it from Sony Hong Kong are here:

http://asia.playstation.com/hk/ps3/eng/ps3_softupdate.htm#2

If you don't have an Asian PS3 then you should update it from either Sony America or Sony Japan, depending on what spec your machine is.

I'll just add that the PS3 won't let you go online without the latest update. When the last one came out last week, I tried to go online without updating, as it was downloading at a snails pace (think it had just been released and the whole PS3 owning world were forced to download it that day if they wanted to go online), but it wouldn't let me until I had downloaded the update. It took nearly 6 hours in the end, extremely irritating. The stupid thing was that it downloaded in 10 minutes onto my PC, but I didn't have a memory stick, so couldn't use that method.

It might not solve your problem, but without the latest system update (1.32), you won't be able to get online at all.

What does it say when you run an Internet Connection Test? (Settings > Network Settings > Internet Connection Test)

Just found out about update 1.32 and was downloading it from the US site until I read this. Its so slow downloading from the HK site but thats the one I obviously need.

When I run the internet connection test it says IP found successfully - and then internet connection is unsuccessful - "The connection to the server timed out (80028E06)".

I just checked a few mins ago and it said - connection not established or something along those lines.

I will get this update and then fingers crossed I might have some success.

Thanks again for your help :o

I doubt if there is any difference between the updates from different regions, but there may be in the future. Sony HK say to only download from there if you have an Asian PS3, and as it's a firmware update then it's sensible to do what Sony say, but I doubt that it really matters to be honest. Whilst browsing their site I also came across this, which is going to make it a lot harder to diagnose what's wrong:

Temporary Interruption of PLAYSTATION®Network Service

27/12/2006

PLAYSTATION®3

Due to earthquake in Taiwan, international telecommunication services are disrupted. Users may have difficulties accessing PLAYSTATION®Network. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

I can vouch for those "difficulties in accessing PLAYSTATION®Network" too.

I doubt if there is any difference between the updates from different regions, but there may be in the future. Sony HK say to only download from there if you have an Asian PS3, and as it's a firmware update then it's sensible to do what Sony say, but I doubt that it really matters to be honest. Whilst browsing their site I also came across this, which is going to make it a lot harder to diagnose what's wrong:
Temporary Interruption of PLAYSTATION®Network Service

27/12/2006

PLAYSTATION®3

Due to earthquake in Taiwan, international telecommunication services are disrupted. Users may have difficulties accessing PLAYSTATION®Network. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

I can vouch for those "difficulties in accessing PLAYSTATION®Network" too.

Think I'll wait to get the HK update to be safe - but not got time now as I'm busy at 3 and its downloading at 10kb/s :o

The earthquake scenario has made it harder to pinpoint whats wrong - patience is required I guess.

From Sony HK:

This update is for customers who own PS3™ systems sold in SCE Asia area, including Hong Kong, Taiwan, Thai, Singapore, Malaysia. DO NOT update your PS3™ system through this Web site if you own a system purchased in a region other than SCE Asia area, including Hong Kong, Taiwan, Thai, Singapore, Malaysia. There is no guarantee of proper operation with other models of the PS3™ system.

Personally I'd just update the US one, but I often break things by not doing what the instructions say, so I'll leave it to you to decide. :o

I used the US update in the end and it installed with no problems. Still getting the same error messages though for getting an internet connection. I cant imagine the people at my apartment are that 'up' on the matter as I struggle getting them to understand the most basic things so...not sure what to do next. Think I will email smartzone and see what they think - unless there is anyone on here using smartzone with a PS3 :S

Are you guys still having problems accessing the Playstation Network? I could get onto it before the earthquake, but ever since I have been unable to sign in, even tho I can access normal websites via the browser (albeit very slowly).

I use True 512 package. Could this be the problem?

AlixJames: What is Fight Night like? I might get it at the weekend...

Edited by ashacat

Are you guys still having problems accessing the Playstation Network? I could get onto it before the earthquake, but ever since I have been unable to sign in, even tho I can access normal websites via the browser (albeit very slowly).

I use True 512 package. Could this be the problem?

AlixJames: What is Fight Night like? I might get it at the weekend...

Hi, I can get onto the PS3 network - it is slow however but I have downloaded the GTHD demo over it without it packing up on me. Yeh the browser is slow for me to (also 512k). Fight Night is ok, its a little repetitive and seeing as I'm doing Muay Thai everyday here it gets a bit boring, but graphically its not a bad game and is ok when you play with friends, or get deep into the career mode. Probably worth getting as its one of the EA games at 1490baht.

That might be the difference then, I think True is pretty bad at the moment. :o

I've not been able to log onto PS3 network since the earthquake either. I'm with True as well

Hopefully once the repairs are done things will go back to normal - I had a blisteringly fast connection before the quake with True

Slightly off topic.

Live have been living in LOS on and off for bout 4 years now and have always had a chipped PS2

Have you guys all got non modded PS3 and using genuine PS3 games - or do you have modded PS3's and using copied games?

I was on the understanding that with the PS2 if using copied games you was unable to play games online - is this the case with PS3 whats the crack with this.

Ash

I can now "sign in" to PSN however when I try to play online, I frequently get cut off... annoying.

On a similar topic I still haven't figured out how to download trial version of games. Do you have to go via the playstation shop icon in the startup screen? Or do i have to go the the sony website via the web browser? Also is it even possible to download games with the internet connection at the moment?