Shaving foam in Thailand

JohnJay

15 hours ago, JohnJay said:

Never seen them before... I'm in buriram. I've looked in the big Lotus stores and couldn't find any either. Back home I pay 40 baht for a full sized can, I don't even know why they even sell those stupid little cans that only last a week.

They are for people traveling light, I use them when I am on my motorbike road trips.

I only wish I could get them with Fusion, which IMO is the best.

Try this stuff.  It's a  gel... You only need to use small amount and it is a cheap price.  Lasts for long time.

If I use any of the foam, or soap, I always get dry skin or a slight rash.  This stuff is easy on the skin. 

I get in Tesco, but have seen it in Topps Market and other supermarkets. 

Shave.PNG

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2017 at 7:20 AM, animalmagic said:

Don't!  Buy tablets of shaving soap and a brush instead and save yourself a fortune.  When I used to shave a can of shaving foam would last about a month, whereas a shaving soap, in its own plastic container, from Boots cost the same but lasted over a year.  It's far easier to apply the right amount in the right places on a brush.

You can take it on a plane and it's not as bad for the environment.

I am surprised that shaving soap like this is still available.

I will go to Boots tomorrow.

I assume you mean Boots in Thailand.

On 6/14/2017 at 3:19 PM, pennine said:

Although posted before, I think Gillette is a rip off. Does not eject gel despite feeling half full. Their website has no option for complaints, only to purchase.

I have been using Gillette Gel for years and always been happy with it.

It isn't many years ago that it cost 180 baht, but every time I buy it, it seems to go up by 20 baht or so.

Last time 335 Baht and after 1 (one) week the aerosol stopped working. I bought a new one and suddenly after a few weeks it stopped too. I haven't complained and don't intend to as I know it is pointless.

I have been searching the Internet and will now try to make my own shaving cream.

• 7 months later...

I've tried numerous options here now and, like several others posting here, mostly use Barbesol now.  It's still pricey of course (but half the cost of Gillette!) and lasts for months so I'm not that bothered about the cost.

I've also used (and still do) the old fashioned brush and Macca root cream (from Body Shop) but quite often I just can't be bothered with it.  When travelling or visiting friends I also prefer to carry as little stuff as possible.  For that reason I've bought the small (and waaaaaaay overpriced) travel cans of Gillette foam in the past simply because of the small size plus it gets the job done.  Also had numerous people recommend I try these gels but I just can't get on with them.  I seem to have to put loads of the stuff on to get any coverage at all and even then, even after waiting a few minutes (wait too long and it just dries out), it still feels like I'm just shaving with regular soap and water.  Doesn't seem to lubricate or soften at all.  The other reason I tried the gels is that I had a couple of cans of Gillette fail on me in the past, I put it down to the pressurisation of the cans from air travel, where a previously working can just comes out dead on arrival.  In an emergency (like finding my can of Gillette dead!) I've even used a small amount of hair shampoo mixed with the gf's hair conditioner to be better than these gels and sure better than just using soap and water.

Latest product I tried was from Watsons, mens shaving foam in a black can, around 75 baht IIRC.  They do a gel too.  Not sure if it's a new product or what but I'd not seen it before.  It's not pressurised so it uses a simple pump system to mix the air in and get the 'foam' out.  Overall I found it quite disappointing.  The 'foam' is not thick and creamy at all, way too watery and airy (same as if using a brush / cream where you just mixed in way too much water and just get a load of suds) and the foam just starts to vaporise if you leave it for more than a few seconds.  Shaving with it is only so so too, slightly better than a gel in that there does seem to be some lubricating effect with it but it seems to be better at leaving your skin feeling slimy rather than actually softening the beard / growth.  Thinking it'll likely go in the bin, or I'll give it away.  Not impressed.

Really like the convenience of the small tins of Gillette when packing, just not the price so I'll stick with Barbesol for now and put up with the larger size cans.