Latimer Road fire: Huge fire engulfs west London flats

webfact

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, darksidedog said:

That looks absolutely horrific and tragically it seems some people are trapped. I lived in a tower block in Shanghai and Singapore and this was always my worst fear.

Happening when it did, so many people would have been asleep in their beds.

I wish the best to the brave firefighters who have been working hard to get people out.

Some dead and some in hospital.

Interview on Al Jazira with a resident that said the council would not address safety concerns by residents.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jun/14/fire-24-storey-grenfell-tower-block-white-city-latimer-road-london

Whatever, one thing that needs addressing is why it spread so quickly. Assuming it's a concrete building, that shouldn't happen.

2 minutes ago, rogerluli said:

What a horror...RIP to the poor people who died...

If I ever live in a high rise apartment I would buy emergency fire hoods...You'll most likely never need it, but if you do...

I think you're better off learning to base jump, this is the reason why I never stayed in the tallest hotel in Bangkok.

My daughter is a fire fighter at a South East lodon station. They were called there. I saw this on CNN early this morning. Their information was, that it was an electrical appliance, like a fridge that had started the fire. They were also told that terrorism was not suspected at the time. I am waiting for her to get back to me.

9 minutes ago, rogerluli said:

What a horror...RIP to the poor people who died...

If I ever live in a high rise apartment I would buy emergency fire hoods...You'll most likely never need it, but if you do...

Sounds like a good idea. We always buy insurance hoping we don't need it.

When I lived in London in multi storey buildings I always had a rope long enough to reach the ground so I could abseil down. Of course that wouldn't work in a very high building, but 24 stories would be doable. 

18 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Sounds like a good idea. We always buy insurance hoping we don't need it.

When I lived in London in multi storey buildings I always had a rope long enough to reach the ground so I could abseil down. Of course that wouldn't work in a very high building, but 24 stories would be doable. 

" A rope long enough" Your 'havin a Stephie Graff 'aint ya ?

Hi guys and girls

I have just returned from this fire about 1 hour ago, I have been there since about 1.30 am and will be returning tonight at 8pm. I have never seen anything like this in my career As we approached the building along the adjacent A40 road we could see the tower alight on one side. On arrival this quickly spread to the whole block. A protected internal staircase allowed us to climb the building but as conditions deteriorated this became impossible. Many many people were saved but alas many more than is currently reported have perished. Residents had trapped friends and family speaking to them on their mobiles asking for help. People were jumping from the building, one hit a colleague of mine who was entering the building. Im watching on tv now, it seems unbelievable.

3 minutes ago, Jim P said:

Hi guys and girls

I have just returned from this fire about 1 hour ago, I have been there since about 1.30 am and will be returning tonight at 8pm. I have never seen anything like this in my career As we approached the building along the adjacent A40 road we could see the tower alight on one side. On arrival this quickly spread to the whole block. A protected internal staircase allowed us to climb the building but as conditions deteriorated this became impossible. Many many people were saved but alas many more than is currently reported have perished. Residents had trapped friends and family speaking to them on their mobiles asking for help. People were jumping from the building, one hit a colleague of mine who was entering the building. Im watching on tv now, it seems unbelievable.

Are you in the LFB ?

4 minutes ago, Jim P said:

Hi guys and girls

and the advice to stay in your room, 1 hour protection?.

Just now, sandrabbit said:

and the advice to stay in your room, 1 hour protection?.

This is called FSG, Fire Survival Guidance and has just been reported on the news if all fire safety conditions are met this should be the case. This policy was adopted after a fire at Lakenal House. One of the factors I would think last night was that been an exceptionally warm night fire will have travelled upwards through open windows. Other than that I can comment as Im not qualified to do so, Im just a Firefighter.

4 minutes ago, Jim P said:

Yes

Hi Jim. My daughter is at a station in south East london. And she was going there when i skyped her this morning. Do you know if any fire fighters have been harmed? She told me that the intel was that it was an electrical appliance, like a fridge.

3 minutes ago, Jim P said:

This is called FSG, Fire Survival Guidance and has just been reported on the news if all fire safety conditions are met this should be the case. This policy was adopted after a fire at Lakenal House. One of the factors I would think last night was that been an exceptionally warm night fire will have travelled upwards through open windows. Other than that I can comment as Im not qualified to do so, Im just a Firefighter.

how much time were you inside because when I started watching it was spreading up the outside so fast shouldn't the people inside have been asked to evacuate as 1 woman on sky news said was why didn't the fire service etc ring their doorbells to warn them?

Edited by sandrabbit

1 hour ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

My daughter is a fire fighter at a South East lodon station. They were called there. I saw this on CNN early this morning. Their information was, that it was an electrical appliance, like a fridge that had started the fire. They were also told that terrorism was not suspected at the time. I am waiting for her to get back to me.

I heard the same Dave. I hope your daughter returns safe, thanks for her help and all the emergency services.

3 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

Hi Jim. My daughter is at a station in south East london. And she was going there when i skyped her this morning. Do you know if any fire fighters have been harmed? She told me that the intel was that it was an electrical appliance, like a fridge.

I will PM you Dave.

7 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

one interviewy said he was told by his next door neighbor that his fridge had caught fire on the 4th floor.

Edited by sandrabbit

1 hour ago, sandrabbit said:

They're saying the cladding met all UK regulations (according to people who did the work), I'm sorry but if that's true it's unbelievable.

Further to that;

https://web.archive.org/web/20170614035707/http://wittukgroup.co.uk/grenfell-tower-london-w11-1tq-regeneration-project/

http://wittukgroup.co.uk/grenfell-tower-london-w11-1tq-regeneration-project/

Spot the difference. They took their page down today. Unluckily for them, the page has been archived. 

8 minutes ago, sandrabbit said:

how much time were you inside because when I started watching it was spreading up the outside so fast shouldn't the people inside have been asked to evacuate as 1 woman on sky news said was why didn't the fire service etc ring their doorbells to warn them?

What you see  on tv from the comfort of your chair with full hearing and vision are somewhat different from what you are faced with inside the building. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to walk unobstructed to doors and just ring the bell. For your information doors bells weren't rung, doors were smashed in, hope this helps.

9 minutes ago, Jim P said:

What you see  on tv from the comfort of your chair with full hearing and vision are somewhat different from what you are faced with inside the building. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to walk unobstructed to doors and just ring the bell. For your information doors bells weren't rung, doors were smashed in, hope this helps.

it wasn't meant as a criticism it was meant as a follow on to what I asked before.