Thai Cabinet nod for Bt2.3 bn armoured carriers deal with China

webfact

4 hours ago, JAG said:

Oh there will be more - The Air Force could surely use some new fast jets!

I know China is officially an atheist state - but I suspect that their arms industry has started believing in Christmas!

Didn't the Air Force fairly recently put a few inquiries out for some new jets? But they're usually last in the peckin order being the new boys on the block.

The rural area that I live in has very large military bases near here. Including a Cav Regt. 

The APC and tanks that they have seems to be some 1960's Soviet style armour. (Maybe US 50's type tanks)

They look very antique.

To say that no country has a threat and needs no defence equipment is a bit silly.

You may as well rant against New Zealand military spending. They have a very professional and well equipped military

and yet it faces absolutely no military threat.

Every country and its people has the right to expect the nation has some military capacity. Who knows who the enemy may be tomorrow

7 hours ago, webfact said:

country’s economic woes

And still they go ahead and buy pension top up times then.

There are going to be some seriously rich M boys over the next 3 years

Edited by wakeupplease

Image result for New Zealand Army Sheep

1 hour ago, spiderorchid said:

The rural area that I live in has very large military bases near here. Including a Cav Regt. 

The APC and tanks that they have seems to be some 1960's Soviet style armour. (Maybe US 50's type tanks)

They look very antique.

To say that no country has a threat and needs no defence equipment is a bit silly.

You may as well rant against New Zealand military spending. They have a very professional and well equipped military

Every country and its people has the right to expect the nation has some military capacity. Who knows who the enemy may be tomorrow

Edited by JAG

1 hour ago, spiderorchid said:

They look very antique.

According to Wiki they've already got:

217 BTR 3E1 (Ukranian version of the old Soviet wheeled APC)

450 Type 85s (Chinese tracked APC

385+ M113s (US tracked design, old but still capable)

312 V100 and V150 "Commandos" (US wheeled APC)

106 Mine protected wheeled vehicles.

I wonder:  1) how many of this impressive list actually work?

2) just why are they adding to the logistic  and training nightmare which such a disparate fleet must already be?

Edited by JAG

15 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

I am surprised the Thais are not buying Thai made machines. These seem to be half decent. Anyone knowledgeable on this kit?

http://www.thailandtrustmark.com/en/directory/detail/386-chaiseri-metal-and-rubber-coltd

They've got a couple of dozen of them. They're not heavily armoured - designed to protect from mines and IEDs. Presumably ideal for the operations down south. If they use them there. who knows?

3 minutes ago, JAG said:

According to Wiki they've already got:

217 BTR 3E1 (Ukranian version of the old Soviet wheeled APC)

450 Type 85s (Chinese tracked APC

385+ M113s (US tracked design, old but still capable)

312 V100 and V150 "Commandos" (US wheeled APC)

106 Mine protected wheeled vehicles.

I wonder:  1) how many of this impressive list actually work?

2) just why are they adding to the logistic  and training nightmare which such a disparate fleet must already be?

I think you just answered your own question about why Thailand needs new armoured vehicles.

Most of the machines mentioned above are only good for scrap metal and museums.

Keep on spending those billions on things that have zero return on investment. Money will eventually run out with nothing to show for it other than idle aircraft carriers, useless subs and armoured vehicles for the 1000 generals to simply ride to and from their air conditioned offices.