How resistant to spread of fire and smoke is your condo building?

All condo buildings in Thailand are raised in reinforced concrete structures.

But how resistant is the building to the spread of smoke and fire in the event of a blaze?

The type of external cladding is one issue. Weakest would be curtain walls. Next would be floor to ceiling glass windows.

The other pertinent point is the spread of smoke. Open internal voids would be the worst, followed by staircases without any fire doors.

So, how safe is your condo building in the event of a fire?

I was thinking about this the building I live in has a sprinkler system. And a fire exit that building in London didn't have them. So at least that is something but i don't have a fire door. And I have not herd the fire alarms tested once since I have been here .I couldn't believe my eyes when I woke up today. It is now coming out that they was told this would happen but took no notice. Apparently there was a blog since 2013 talking about the danger of fire in this building and cuts on health and safety by the management company involved. Unfortunately on the radio they can't contact the guy who wrote the blog because his last know address was in that building. I can't even begin to think what short cuts are taken in Thailand in health and safety.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I am not going to remove the off-topic post above, but please let's stay on-topic, which is your condo building in Thailand.

Ours was actually very good. No cladding and three exit stairways two of which were outdoor and well separated (building was U shaped). Access corridors were actually balconies open to the air on one side. Sprinklers in the units and public areas.

10 year old building but we have a twice yearly practice evacuation.
A shop on the 1st floor recently caught on fire and got gutted directly below the main residence section.
Sprinklers went off and flooded the floor of course and fire crew arrived quickly and building evacuation.

Had it of happened at night and the sprinklers didn't go off it could have been deadly

10 year old building but we have a twice yearly practice evacuation.
A shop on the 1st floor recently caught on fire and got gutted directly below the main residence section.
Sprinklers went off and flooded the floor of course and fire crew arrived quickly and building evacuation.

Had it of happened at night and the sprinklers didn't go off it could have been deadly

I have lived in mine for three years and not once have I been given any information about what to do if there was a fire. And definitely no fire drills or should we stay put or try to leave the building.

8 minutes ago, juice777 said:

I have lived in mine for three years and not once have I been given any information about what to do if there was a fire. And definitely no fire drills or should we stay put or try to leave the building.

Then you better get familiar with the location of the nearest fire escape and keep a torchlight and bath towel handy.

37 minutes ago, funandsuninbangkok said:

Terrible tragedy in London. 

MAkes one think about it here. 

No sprinklers in my building but have fire hose in hall.

On 4th floor so could get out with one of these.  Will buy one today

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2010/11/how-to-choose-a-fire-escape-ladder/index.htm

You would probably need to jump the last 10 feet, provided fire is not raging out from the floors below you...

15 hours ago, Crossy said:

I am not going to remove the off-topic post above, but please let's stay on-topic, which is your condo building in Thailand.

Ours was actually very good. No cladding and three exit stairways two of which were outdoor and well separated (building was U shaped). Access corridors were actually balconies open to the air on one side. Sprinklers in the units and public areas.

A single loaded corridor is preferred to a double loaded corridor on resistant to confined smoke.

Single loaded corridor means one side is opened to fresh air and natural light, while the latter is enclosed by condo units on both sides.

57 minutes ago, trogers said:

Single loaded corridor means one side is opened to fresh air and natural light, while the latter is enclosed by condo units on both sides.

Thanks, I now know the correct terminology :smile:

All the floors were single loaded and you could turn either way on exiting the unit and come to a stairway. Never felt unsafe, the only negative was that one could get wet if it was really blowing and raining.

EDIT This is the building in question.

Untitled-1.jpg

21 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Thanks, I now know the correct terminology :smile:

All the floors were single loaded and you could turn either way on exiting the unit and come to a stairway. Never felt unsafe, the only negative was that one could get wet if it was really blowing and raining.

EDIT This is the building in question.

Untitled-1.jpg

Usually for condo buildings with large units of 2-3 bedrooms. 

Shoebox units would have a double loaded corridor with units on both sides, laid out like a dormitory. The test on resistant to confined smoke in such a layout would then be any intermediate windows along this corridor to let in fresh air and natural light.

One can tell if lights have to be switched on in the corridor during mid day.

Archived