Luke Miller’s family vow to get justice after he was found dead in Koh Tao

webfact

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, bander said:

Didn't the RTP find any Burmese migrant scrap goats this time? I bet Burmese avoid Kho Tao after the last "investigation".

they only need scape goats when it is blindingly obvious it was murder, always better to have murder/rape victims just disappear without a trace - no body no foul, they are learning

I spent a few days there in 2015. Knowing what I know now I feel quite lucky to still be alive. The place has a seedy inbred "deliverance" feel about it which is covered up by false smiles. It's like the Thais all know what's going on and look on tourists as fodder for someone's sport. 

Mafia BS. Mafia do not murder tourists. Mafia might be running the island but they don't murder people who have done them no wrong. Locals and police know exactly who is behind these deaths and they're scared shirtless to say anything

35 minutes ago, Crustyhk said:

Mafia BS. Mafia do not murder tourists. Mafia might be running the island but they don't murder people who have done them no wrong. Locals and police know exactly who is behind these deaths and they're scared shirtless to say anything

Agreed! at least the "Mafia" had some principles! dubious though they may be, these "people" are just low level scum criminals!

1 minute ago, CGW said:

Agreed! at least the "Mafia" had some principles! dubious though they may be, these "people" are just low level scum criminals!

so by that post why are the mafia not dealing with them??..are they some higher criminal...

5 hours ago, colinneil said:

His family have vowed to get justice

That is something that will not happen, cannot smear the good image of the place..

Well, they should know by now Thailand and especially Koh Tao are not considered as hot spots where justice prevails.

I have not read all the associated detail with this case, but is Luke  the man that was out with his friends drinking and the ended up at a hotel swimming pool where they were jumping of some structure into the pool ? Then his friends left and he stayed ?

Or was this another case ?

There are far too many of these to keep track of them all.

My theory .

Luke Miller arrived on Kao Tao

It was noticed by some locals that he had the same surname as the murdered David Miller .    

Luke Miller seemed like quite a jovial person , when asked by locals about his surname, he may have joked "Im here to seek justice for my Brother/Cousin"

Word go back to murdering brothers that there was a vigilante looking for them

They got in first

Given that news like this has the potential to take money out of the local mafia's pockets, I can't help but wonder how much the violence may increase if they were to do away with the mafia?

And how many violent crimes are punished "off the books" without any media coverage?  And how many low level criminals are buried on the island?

I'm not a fan of the mafia, but I'd be careful what I wish for.  Without a functional police department, sometimes they're the only thing keeping anti-foreigner violence in check.

7 minutes ago, pumpjack said:

i will never go to koh tao . 

I understand taking that stand out of principles- not wanting to support a corrupt system with your tourist $$$.

But on the practical side, hundreds of thousands of tourists visit Koh Tao every year and over 99.9% of them go home safely.  

Your chances of getting taken out by a scooter on a sidewalk in BKK are probably just as bad...

Edited by impulse

20 minutes ago, sanemax said:

My theory .

Luke Miller arrived on Kao Tao

It was noticed by some locals that he had the same surname as the murdered David Miller .    

Luke Miller seemed like quite a jovial person , when asked by locals about his surname, he may have joked "Im here to seek justice for my Brother/Cousin"

Word go back to murdering brothers that there was a vigilante looking for them

They got in first

Thanks. Becoming a little clearer.

8 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I disagree , there are dysfunctional police departments all over Thailand and there is no "anti foreigner violence" .

These are not "mafia" in the true sense of the word , these are drug dealing rapers and murderers 

Nobody's claiming they're a benevolent lot.

But putting the kibosh on violent crime against foreigners and their sweaty tourist $$$ is self serving for them.

Edit:  Cops get paid the same whether the crime rate is low or headline making high...

Edited by impulse

Just now, impulse said:

Nobody's claiming they're benevolent lot.

But putting the kibosh on violent crime against foreigners and their sweaty tourist $$$ is self serving for them.

Although the local criminals are not stopping foreigners from getting attacked, they are actually murdering foreigners .

The Ko Tao criminals are killing foreigners, they are NOT keeping them safe from being attacked 

Just now, sanemax said:

Although the local criminals are not stopping foreigners from getting attacked, they are actually murdering foreigners .

The Ko Tao criminals are killing foreigners, they are NOT keeping them safe from being attacked 

You're only seeing one side of the equation.

2 hours ago, Crustyhk said:

I believe there is mafia in Koh Tao. I also believe they have no interest in murdering the cows  whose milk they drink abundantly. 

If there is mafia then I don't understand why the do nothing to protect their tourists.

I would understand if they do everything to protect their members or their member's family (if high enough on the chain)  against deserved punishment or their members family if they "accidentally" kill two Brits.

Could it be only a small group of pervert obsessive killers protected by the mafia? Or one ifnluential pervert man only? Would there be some logic with this?

It is good that this despicable island remains in the headlines until the cases are solved or the island disappears (at least from the travel brochures)

Edited by sweatalot

The land on Koh Tao was owned by the government before the 1932 revolution and used as prison for political prisoners. After the  revolution the prison was demolished and the prisoners released but the government retained all the land and still does to this day.  No land titles have been issued there and use of land is only through Por Thor 5 documents which certify the holder is paying nominal taxes to the local administration in return for the right to use the land for farming (or fishing in this case).  Holders have no right to erect permanent structures on the land.  The key to this type of land is that the administration of it is not under the Land Department but under local administrations.  So the local 'mayors' get to decide who has the right to use the land, which they can rescind and reassign, and they should be ensuring that it is used only for agriculture and fisheries.  That is why village headmen and mayors are so powerful.   The local administrations are all under the Interior Ministry which chooses to look the other way and ignore the abuse of government land under its care.  To comply with the law, all the local administrators should be sacked for violation of restricted land use permissions.  All the structures that are not of a temporary nature for use for agriculture and fisheries should be demolished.  

The very existence of Koh Tao as a tourist resort is based on the premise that there is no rule of law there and that central government has abrogated its right to govern as well as its duty to care for government owned land according to the law. Nothing much good can be expected to follow from this  philosophy.