Aussie aged pension info please.

Hi all. Hopefully someone on here might know the answer to my question.

I reside in LOS on a marriage extension. Receive Oz aged pension.

I plan on taking Mrs Malt to Oz for a 2 week visit.

As far as the Oz govt knows I'm single. My wife has taken my name & same will be shown in her passport & on the visa application.

My concern. Once we apply for the wife's tourist visa, is there any likelihood my pension could be adversely effected ? 

Thanks in advance.

Mal.

3 hours ago, simple1 said:

Immigration / Border Control systems are linked to Centrelink so it's possible your marriage will be identified.

I seriously doubt it.

Centrelink would just be aware of movements in and out of the country.

The only way Centrelink would know would be if the visa processer in Bkk

advised Centrelink which would be extremely unlikely IMO.

Edited by Will27
16 minutes ago, vogie said:

You might gleen some info from this thread? If you've already seen it, sorry.

Thanks for that Vogie. Much appreciated.

Looks like I might have shot myself in the foot getting married instead of just living in sin. From what I can gather from quick scan of your suggested read, possible reduction in OAP if married. The missus's passport & visa application will show my name. Bugger !

Mrs Malt is no spring chicken. Grandmother & we look after grand kids. Not much chance of her contributing to the family budget. But I doubt if Centrelink would take that into consideration if they were to review my pension payment.

Oh, the joy of it all.

3 minutes ago, malt25 said:

Thanks for that Vogie. Much appreciated.

Looks like I might have shot myself in the foot getting married instead of just living in sin. From what I can gather from quick scan of your suggested read, possible reduction in OAP if married. The missus's passport & visa application will show my name. Bugger !

Mrs Malt is no spring chicken. Grandmother & we look after grand kids. Not much chance of her contributing to the family budget. But I doubt if Centrelink would take that into consideration if they were to review my pension payment.

Oh, the joy of it all.

I am British, but my friend is Australian and I know the problems he is going through. He was 65 two years ago and he still hasn't been paid a penny of his pension. Good luck.

I've resided here in LOS for the past 4 years. No problems with receiving my pension.

I only return to OZ for about 10 days, twice each year. Obviously the govt & centrelink are aware I'm not a permanent Oz resident. I don't want to risk anything by advising them that I'm married.

What's the problem with your Oz mate notgetting his payments ?

3 minutes ago, malt25 said:

I've resided here in LOS for the past 4 years. No problems with receiving my pension.

I only return to OZ for about 10 days, twice each year. Obviously the govt & centrelink are aware I'm not a permanent Oz resident. I don't want to risk anything by advising them that I'm married.

What's the problem with your Oz mate notgetting his payments ?

I believe the Australian way is to means test, it's something like over some many Aus $ in the bank, you get nothing. The irony is that his wife is Thai and he hasn't got enough to get her a settlement visa to live in oz. She lives in Thailand and can only visit him on a tourist visa, but he is working it, but not easy.

i was going to get married untill a friend on centerlink single pension took his wife back to aus to live when he told them he was married first thing was for how long ,it had been 10 years so they put it in the to hard basket, he was put on a married pension ,they then took $100.00 a pay off him and others things and his misses got nothing she is now working and if she get over a certain amount he loses that

By the way when your passbook hits aus bells all over the country

YOU may be ok for two weeks but dont trust the goverment

7 hours ago, vogie said:

I believe the Australian way is to means test, it's something like over some many Aus $ in the bank, you get nothing. The irony is that his wife is Thai and he hasn't got enough to get her a settlement visa to live in oz. She lives in Thailand and can only visit him on a tourist visa, but he is working it, but not easy.

Your assumptions make no sense whatsoever based upon the assets one can hold and still receive  Age Pension - summary below...

http://www.catholicsuper.com.au/assets-test/

5 hours ago, ba ba said:

i was going to get married untill a friend on centerlink single pension took his wife back to aus to live when he told them he was married first thing was for how long ,it had been 10 years so they put it in the to hard basket, he was put on a married pension ,they then took $100.00 a pay off him and others things and his misses got nothing she is now working and if she get over a certain amount he loses that

By the way when your passbook hits aus bells all over the country

YOU may be ok for two weeks but dont trust the goverment

" YOU may be ok for two weeks but dont trust the goverment "

Unless I get some concrete info that I'll be ok, won't risk Taking the wife to Oz.

47 minutes ago, vogie said:

Why do you think he doesn't receive a pension and he his now 67, do you think he made it up and told me a lie, what would be the reason for that?

Stop flaming, I  provided asset facts for payment of Age Pension so members are correctly informed - end of.

Edited by simple1
Just now, simple1 said:

Stop flaming, I  provided asset facts for payment of Age Pension, so members are correctly informed - end of.

So if you are so well informed why don't you help the op that asked the question in the first place, wouldn't that have been better and what was incorrect about my post? It would be nice to know so I don't make the same mistake again.

57 minutes ago, vogie said:

So if you are so well informed why don't you help the op that asked the question in the first place, wouldn't that have been better and what was incorrect about my post? It would be nice to know so I don't make the same mistake again.

The OP question raised was would he be identified as married when entering Oz as he is concerned he will loose part of his government pension. To be strict it is illegal to provide advice to defraud government and as I understand against forum rules.

In other circumstances I have provided assistance with Australian Age Pension questions.

I can't respond further, as I would like to do, as I will receive a suspension.

Edited by simple1
7 minutes ago, simple1 said:

The OP question raised was would he be identified as married when entering Oz as he is concerned he will loose part of his government pension. To be strict it is illegal to provide advice to defraud government and as I understand against forum rules.

In other circumstances I have provided assistance with Australian Age Pension questions.

I can't respond further, as I would like to do, as I will receive a suspension.

In future as I have said before, there is a simple solution, do not contact me, it does not matter what topic we are talking about, you appear to have gift of upsetting other posters. Why is it all about you?

And you cannot resist but put in a little aside at the end of your message. 

I tried to help the op, if you had done the same we would not be having this debate.

Guys.... please. If you want to bitch to each other why not try PM.

I'd like some serious exchange here, I need positive advice. If you don't have something positive to offer, why bother.

Thanks.....     Mal.

8 hours ago, malt25 said:

Guys.... please. If you want to bitch to each other why not try PM.

I'd like some serious exchange here, I need positive advice. If you don't have something positive to offer, why bother.

Thanks.....     Mal.

Unfortunately a member posted incorrect information in response to which I provided a link to factual info on assets tests for Age Pension eligibility for you to access. Reason being I do believe factual info for members is paramount. However, I for one do apologise for the unnecessary 'noise', shouldn't have responded to a certain member.

You requested info on how to avoid Centrelink detection, I would guess there are a number of our fellow Australians who would not appreciate such as request considering the number of members who go on about the burden of welfare on the economy.  However, I did answer that there is a possibility you could be detected which you seem to have taken on board, with other members advisory, so at least one positive outcome for you

On a personal note I have been married with a Thai for more than twenty years, currently living in Oz on the Age Pension, wife is working, not easy financially, but doable. We have a house in Thailand, complies to the asset test, but I can't relocate back to Thailand due to the heavy cost of ongoing medical treatment in Thailand - perhaps a matter to think about for your future.

No need for you or any other member to reply, just wanted to give a frank heads up. 

Peter...

Edited by simple1
15 hours ago, malt25 said:

" YOU may be ok for two weeks but dont trust the goverment "

Unless I get some concrete info that I'll be ok, won't risk Taking the wife to Oz.

You won't get any concrete evidence because there isn't any.

Like I said previously, it would be extremely unlikely IMO.

10 hours ago, WhyYouTalkMeBad said:

Are we discussing breaking the law here on TV?

OP you must by law inform centerlink on any changes to your circumstances and being married is part of that.

Yes, you are correct. What was I thinking. I've just sent Centrelink a detailed email outlining my current situation. I've suggested they reduce my aged pension payment accordingly. Now I understand why I was having so much trouble sleeping. I feel better already.

Thank you.

1 minute ago, malt25 said:

Yes, you are correct. What was I thinking. I've just sent Centrelink a detailed email outlining my current situation. I've suggested they reduce my aged pension payment accordingly. Now I understand why I was having so much trouble sleeping. I feel better already.

Thank you.

While you're at it, don't forget to advise the ATO you're a non-resident for tax purpose as well:tongue:

3 hours ago, simple1 said:

Unfortunately a member posted incorrect information in response to which I provided a link to factual info on assets tests for Age Pension eligibility for you to access. Reason being I do believe factual info for members is paramount. However, I for one do apologise for the unnecessary 'noise', shouldn't have responded to a certain member.

You requested info on how to avoid Centrelink detection, I would guess there are a number of our fellow Australians who would not appreciate such as request considering the number of members who go on about the burden of welfare on the economy.  However, I did answer that there is a possibility you could be detected which you seem to have taken on board, with other members advisory, so at least one positive outcome for you

On a personal note I have been married with a Thai for more than twenty years, currently living in Oz on the Age Pension, wife is working, not easy financially, but doable. We have a house in Thailand, complies to the asset test, but I can't relocate back to Thailand due to the heavy cost of ongoing medical treatment in Thailand - perhaps a matter to think about for your future.

No need for you or any other member to reply, just wanted to give a frank heads up. 

Peter...

Hi Peter.

I don't necessarily disagree, but I'd queston that a legitimate aged pension payment is welfare.

Cheers.....     Mal.

2 minutes ago, Will27 said:

While you're at it, don't forget to advise the ATO you're a non-resident for tax purpose as well:tongue:

I've just resolved my delima. I'll divorce the missus & kick her & the grand kids out. Take in a young hottie to tend my needs, desires. Change from married to retirement extension. Problem solved.

Thanks WhyYouTalkMeBad. Have to admit the missus & grand kids not overly impressed though.

I've just resolved my delima. I'll divorce the missus & kick her & the grand kids out. Take in a young hottie to tend my needs, desires. Change from married to retirement extension. Problem solved.
Thanks WhyYouTalkMeBad. Have to admit the missus & grand kids not overly impressed though.

You should have used your brain and done some research and you wouldn't have backed yourself into a corner
If you are going to scam the system again use your brain and don't do it on a public forum. Centerlink keep tightening the screws because people keep rorting the system

14 minutes ago, WhyYouTalkMeBad said:

You should have used your brain and done some research and you wouldn't have backed yourself into a corner
If you are going to scam the system again use your brain and don't do it on a public forum. Centerlink keep tightening the screws because people keep rorting the system

Thank you.  :sorry: