Aussie aged pension info please.

1 hour ago, malt25 said:

Hi Peter.

I don't necessarily disagree, but I'd queston that a legitimate aged pension payment is welfare.

Cheers.....     Mal.

IMO depends on a persons political leaning. If you're interested in digging deeper an interesting debate authored by the Social Policy Section of Federal Government below.

http://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliament/Parliamentary_Departments/Parliamentary_Library/pubs/rp/rp1516/WelfareSpend

Note the cost of assistance for the Aged in fiscal year 2017/18 - AUD65.5 billion

On 16/6/2560 at 9:00 AM, malt25 said:

I've resided here in LOS for the past 4 years. No problems with receiving my pension.

I only return to OZ for about 10 days, twice each year. Obviously the govt & centrelink are aware I'm not a permanent Oz resident. I don't want to risk anything by advising them that I'm married.

What's the problem with your Oz mate notgetting his payments ?

i have heard you have to go back and live in aus for one to two years

9 hours ago, cobbler said:

Btw old age pension for a single is $21,000 au per year

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Only if you qualify for  maximum supplement payments, which would not be paid if living overseas.

Currently being proposed, again, if overseas for more than six weeks, Age Pension payments will cease - have to wait and see if ratified by Parliament, grandfathered or not, but worth noting for those currently thinking about relocating to Thailand.

It is somewhat possible but highly improbable that you will have any problem whatsoever.

Persons receiving an old Australian Aged Pension or any other benefits are required to advise Centrelink any change of circumstances... That includes legal marriage, de facto relationships ect. Then you will be re-assessed. It's up to you to do so.

The moment when you re-enter Australia, Centrelink will be sent that arrival electronically. They are only interested in you and will adjust your Pension automatically. They are not interested in your partner and would not know unless you advise them of a change of circumstances. It's a matter for yourself personally.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

56 minutes ago, Haso said:

It is somewhat possible but highly improbable that you will have any problem whatsoever.

Persons receiving an old Australian Aged Pension or any other benefits are required to advise Centrelink any change of circumstances... That includes legal marriage, de facto relationships ect. Then you will be re-assessed. It's up to you to do so.

The moment when you re-enter Australia, Centrelink will be sent that arrival electronically. They are only interested in you and will adjust your Pension automatically. They are not interested in your partner and would not know unless you advise them of a change of circumstances. It's a matter for yourself personally.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Hi Haso.

I agree with what you say. But something else to consider, I think. When my wife applies for an Australian tourist visa she will need a sponsor, me. Even if I don't directly advise Centrelink of my change in circumstances, I will be indirectly advising them via the sponsorship on the tourist visa application. I'm wondering if there's an auto alert to Centrelink from Aussie embassies re such info.

Maybe I'm being a bit paranoid.

2 hours ago, simple1 said:

Only if you qualify for  maximum supplement payments, which would not be paid if living overseas.

Currently being proposed, again, if overseas for more than six weeks, Age Pension payments will cease - have to wait and see if ratified by Parliament, grandfathered or not, but worth noting for those currently thinking about relocating to Thailand.

Mornin Simple  :-)

One would think, hope, any such proposal would be grandfathered. Can you imaging the outcry, uproar, if tens of thousands of expats suddenly had their aged pension cut off.

For those expats settled overseas and supporting families to have their lives thrown into caos, would be heading down the road to human rights violation.

But, I'd never put such ideas past politicians. Yes, for those considering the expat move, I'd be giving such serious thought.

25 minutes ago, malt25 said:

Hi Haso.

I agree with what you say. But something else to consider, I think. When my wife applies for an Australian tourist visa she will need a sponsor, me. Even if I don't directly advise Centrelink of my change in circumstances, I will be indirectly advising them via the sponsorship on the tourist visa application. I'm wondering if there's an auto alert to Centrelink from Aussie embassies re such info.

Dont forget, "your wife" is applying for a Visa not you. I would imagine any information put forward would be subject to a level of privacy laws etc. it would involve sharing information from a 3rd party.

If the Australian Government can reduce your pension because you are married, doesn't it logically follow that once your wife becomes of pension age, you can get married pension. They cant have it both ways.

13 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Dont forget, "your wife" is applying for a Visa not you. I would imagine any information put forward would be subject to a level of privacy laws etc. it would involve sharing information from a 3rd party.

If the Australian Government can reduce your pension because you are married, doesn't it logically follow that once your wife becomes of pension age, you can get married pension. They cant have it both ways.

Why would a Thai receive an Age Pension if they doesn't meet the eligibility criteria? BTW government is proposing a new minimum residency criteria for full Age Pension to be paid in Oz, i.e. increased from 10 to 15 years residency.

Edited by simple1
10 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

She will only be applying for a tourist visa. Only propose a visit of a few weeks maximum. Wife & my elderly mum (91) would like to meet. We have a very well established home here in LOS & in NO way would ever consider settling in Oz. So no aged pension for her.

11 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Why would a Thai receive an Age Pension if they doesn't meet the eligibility criteria? BTW government is proposing a new minimum residency criteria for full Age Pension to be paid in Oz, i.e. increased from 10 to 15 years residency.

Yes, aware of the changes. The point I was making is Australian Government can reduce your pension based on a wife in Thailand, but you cant get a married pension based on a wife in Thailand. I cant see how they can have it both ways.

8 minutes ago, malt25 said:

She will only be applying for a tourist visa. Only propose a visit of a few weeks maximum. Wife & my elderly mum (91) would like to meet. We have a very well established home here in LOS & in NO way would ever consider settling in Oz. So no aged pension for her.

I am hopeing you are successful in sponsoring your "close personal friend" when she travels to Australia.

9 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I am hopeing you are successful in sponsoring your "close personal friend" when she travels to Australia.

Thanks for that. But, my close personal friend will be applying for the visa with same name as me. I'm thinking of having a female friend in Oz nominate as the sponsor. Only a thought at this time.

Cheers.

1 hour ago, malt25 said:

Hi Haso.

Yep, just a touch paranoid IMO.

Basically, the Embassy staff just want to know that the applicant has someone who, in your case

can support her.

The staff there don't care how you get your money, only that you have sufficient funds.

4 minutes ago, malt25 said:

Thanks for that. But, my close personal friend will be applying for the visa with same name as me. I'm thinking of having a female friend in Oz nominate as the sponsor. Only a thought at this time.

Cheers.

Gee, now you would really be muddying the waters in the application.

I reckon you should just go ahead and lodge your application.

1 minute ago, Will27 said:

Gee, now you would really be muddying the waters in the application.

I reckon you should just go ahead and lodge your application.

Yeah, I'm probably over thinking things.

Why would the waters be muddied ? If a friend of my wife in Oz nominates as sponsor, as far as I know, there'd be NO connection to me.

Do appreciate your comments & input tho.

Just now, malt25 said:

Why would the waters be muddied ? If a friend of my wife in Oz nominates as sponsor, as far as I know, there'd be NO connection to me.

What if they interview the sponsor and ask questions and the friend slips up and mentions you're married?

And then they speak to your wife and ask her if she's married, or whose paying for the ticket etc etc.

If there's any whiff of funny business going on, then you can pretty much say goodbye to getting a visa for her.

Honestly, I think you're way over thinking this.

1 minute ago, malt25 said:

Dont forget, if a Thai person can show a job, kids etc (reasons to return), regular income and some savings, they can get a tourist visa in their own right, no need for a sponsor. My experience, even with a sponsor if there is no job you can get knocked back. I would concentrate more on job/income/savings (or appearances of) at this end, then apply.

8 minutes ago, Will27 said:

What if they interview the sponsor and ask questions and the friend slips up and mentions you're married?

And then they speak to your wife and ask her if she's married, or whose paying for the ticket etc etc.

If there's any whiff of funny business going on, then you can pretty much say goodbye to getting a visa for her.

Honestly, I think you're way over thinking this.

And I just can't understand why people call me a control freak.   555555

2 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Dont forget, if a Thai person can show a job, kids etc (reasons to return), regular income and some savings, they can get a tourist visa in their own right, no need for a sponsor. My experience, even with a sponsor if there is no job you can get knocked back. I would concentrate more on job/income/savings (or appearances of) at this end, then apply.

That's why it would be a lot easier, probably a lock if you told the embassy you wanted to take your wife to Australia

to meet your mother.

4 minutes ago, Will27 said:

That's why it would be a lot easier, probably a lock if you told the embassy you wanted to take your wife to Australia

to meet your mother.

Yes, but that is what the OP wants to avoid, telling the Australian Gov he is married.

wife to visit mother is a great reason for the trip but they still look at flight risk, reasons for the applicant to return to Thailand, job, kids etc.

Malty , my old cobber, take a tip from the Old Champ

under your circumstances that being legally married to a Thai, C/Link will kick arse if they catch wind of it, and your intended travelling plans may turn into a Force One Hurricane

forget the trip/holiday for the old shelia,unless you want to  feel the brunt of  C/L ,who will certainly  drag you over the coals (pension reduced), play it smart don.t give  C/L a smell of a oily rag, otherwise you will be    up   sh#t creek without a paddle, , they just luv   Aussies giving themselves up unintentionly

Malty  its let sleeping dogs lay, good morning to all

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

The point I was making is Australian Government can reduce your pension based on a wife in Thailand, but you cant get a married pension based on a wife in Thailand. I cant see how they can have it both ways.

Very easy to comprehend, wife must meet the same eligibility criteria for an Age Pension as an Oz citizen or someone with Oz PR status.