Leaving the country without extension of stay and WP cancellation or permission letter from employer

I've done a bit of research and see that a WP and extension of stay need to be cancelled by the employer at the end of employment and then the foreigner needs to leave the country on the same day. What is the effect of merely leaving if the employer won't accept the resignation and assist with leaving?

I've read that a letter is required from the employer for airport immigration, presumably if no re-entry permit is obtained and the extension of stay is thus to be cancelled. Is this correct? Can a foreigner be prevented from leaving the country against their will in this way if the employer won't assist with WP & extension of stay cancellation / a letter? 

Thanks.

If that cancels the extension which in turn cancels the WP I'm left wondering what the point of going to immigration with the employer to cancel it all is. I presume it's because there is a formal WP cancellation process but if the person has no intention of ever working again it's probably not necessary.