Trump owes lenders at least $315 million, disclosure shows

rooster59

7 minutes ago, Traveler19491 said:

The difference is that Richard Branson is a far more noble, far more principled, far more benevolent individual than Trump will ever be. In fact, comparing Trump to Branson is like comparing Mussolini to FDR. Both were rich, both achieved the pinnacle of power in their countries, yet they were polar opposites in terms of moral character and actual long-term accomplishments. Branson gives large amounts to charity, has given his male employees one year of paid paternity leave, gives his 170 employees on his personal staff unlimited vacation (joining companies like Netflix, Ask.com, The Motley Fool, Groupon, and others). He has committed to giving half his personal wealth to charity upon his death, similar to Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, and many other billionaires. Sorry, but Trump is nothing more than a greedy, self-serving narcissist who is in it for himself, others be damned.

To be fair, Trump did pay his own charity with money from another charity to buy a portrait of himself to hang at his private members only club. Then he no doubt took a tax break on the donation. 

He's a philanthropist, just like Carnegie!

T

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please, oh wise one...do tell. What about the headline is misleading? Is the number factually inaccurate? Is the fact that he is in debt factually inaccurate? Or, is it within the realm of possibility that you skimmed the headline and ignored the article entirely, far too eager to rush to the comment box and toss in your thinly veiled allusion to this being "fake"?

See, had you actually read the article, you would have discovered that the figure comes from a disclosure form filed with the Ethics Office, likely by Trump's attorneys. So, the only thing that you have succeeded in doing is revealing yourself to be nothing other than one more rather sad Trump supporter who can not tolerate anything negative being said about your orange messiah.

Next time, try working with this formula...read first, then comment. Hopefully, you won't wind up sounding so ill-informed.

Based on the tone of your post, you've already made up your mind and presenting facts to you would be a waste of my time.

Keep on living life with your head buried in the sand and believing everything the media spoon feeds you.

14 minutes ago, Traveler19491 said:

The difference is that Richard Branson is a far more noble, far more principled, far more benevolent individual than Trump will ever be. In fact, comparing Trump to Branson is like comparing Mussolini to FDR. Both were rich, both achieved the pinnacle of power in their countries, yet they were polar opposites in terms of moral character and actual long-term accomplishments. Branson gives large amounts to charity, has given his male employees one year of paid paternity leave, gives his 170 employees on his personal staff unlimited vacation (joining companies like Netflix, Ask.com, The Motley Fool, Groupon, and others). He has committed to giving half his personal wealth to charity upon his death, similar to Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, and many other billionaires. Sorry, but Trump is nothing more than a greedy, self-serving narcissist who is in it for himself, others be damned.

lol, what do you speak about?

30 minutes ago, Dagnabbit said:

The key to surviving these failures is to not put all your money into one venture. Hence you borrow, get financial backing.

And then there is the probe of racketeering, fraud, and money laundering.

Heck, if U.S. banks won't lend you money, you gotta get it from somewhere... :whistling:

There's a theme emerging in Mueller's Russia probe that could prove damning for Trump

"Robert Mueller in recent days has hired lawyers with extensive experience in dealing with fraud, racketeering, and other financial crimes to help him investigate whether President Donald Trump's associates colluded with Russia to meddle in the 2016 presidential election."

"Mueller, who was appointed as special counsel last month to lead the probe into Russia's election interference, is also homing in on money laundering and the business dealings of Trump's son-in-law and senior adviser, Jared Kushner, according to reports in The New York Times and The Washington Post."

"The developments indicate Mueller is taking a follow-the-money approach to the investigation that could leave Trump's sprawling business empire hugely vulnerable."

http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-russia-probe-follow-the-money-mueller-2017-6

Just now, Dagnabbit said:

Nice wall of text.

In your blind hatred of all things Trump, you have missed the fact I didn't compare anybody with anyone else.

So there goes 15 mins drafting a reply full of righteous indignation over something that wasnt said.

As you are obviously such an accomplished business person, perhaps you can share the secrets of your own success... presumably you are a billionaire?

Nope?

Just an armchair CEO???

Sent from my SM-A720F using Tapatalk

Nice totally vacuous reply. Your reading comprehension is seriously lacking. Mentioning Branson's accomplishments/business tactics in a direct reference to Trump is, in fact, a comparison. You mention Branson's failures in response to a comment about Trump's failures. How is that not a comparison? And just because it would take you 15 minutes of laborious composition to come up with something of the sort that I posted does not mean that I would suffer the same inadequacy. Nice try at an insult, but no donut. And you may not have noticed, but it's not my business acumen that is the subject of the article. Trump being a public figure leaves him open to criticism by anyone. In response to your lame question about my net worth and your belief that it disqualifies me from having and voicing an opinion, I would ask the same. How many billions do you possess that permits you the ability to assert that Trump is the success you seem to believe? The fact is that, no, I'm not a billionaire. But then, neither did my daddy leave me $200 million when he died. Had he, I strongly suspect I would be richer than Trump, because I would have had the common sense he lacks and realized that I'm not a business type, so I would have done what he didn't, and invested my money, likely in index funds, which would have made me worth at least three times what he is.

Come back when you can posit an insult that has some teeth.

7 minutes ago, daboyz1 said:

Based on the tone of your post, you've already made up your mind and presenting facts to you would be a waste of my time.

Keep on living life with your head buried in the sand and believing everything the media spoon feeds you.

Au contraire, my dear wise one. Unlike you, I am willing to entertain facts that don't match my beliefs. Unlike Trump supporters, I have changed my mind on any number of political issues. Abortion, for instance. My openness to the arguments of others led me to change my belief system. I once opposed abortion, totally. I now support it on a limited basis...for rape, incest, and to save the mother's life. I still oppose abortion on demand. So, if you actually have facts that demonstrate that the headline is misleading, I invite you to post such. I'll wait. But I suspect I'll be waiting a long, long, long time.

7 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

If Trump has more money and assets than  he  owes  then  he  is way ahead  of  the country

he is leading.  I am glad  that my country  does not  have the debt  that America has.

If  the 2 B747s that fly when the President goes anywhere  were trimmed down to 1 B747

and a cheaper jet  for  back up, the the USA  could save a bit of money,  but  that  won't happen,

as the politicans are all very valuable people ,  you know.

Geezer

Don't see young Justin wasting loonies like that!

3 minutes ago, alocacoc said:

No, but your post was completely off-topic.

Hardly. Dagnabbit inserted a comment to the effect that anyone not already an enormous success in business lacked the qualifications to criticize Trump's debt. He then compared Richard Branson's failures to Trump's in an attempt to assert that Trump's were somehow legitimate. I countered, explaining that to compare Trump's business character to Branson's is ludicrous. How is that off-topic?

23 minutes ago, Traveler19491 said:

Nice totally vacuous reply. Your reading comprehension is seriously lacking. Mentioning Branson's accomplishments/business tactics in a direct reference to Trump is, in fact, a comparison. You mention Branson's failures in response to a comment about Trump's failures. How is that not a comparison? And just because it would take you 15 minutes of laborious composition to come up with something of the sort that I posted does not mean that I would suffer the same inadequacy. Nice try at an insult, but no donut. And you may not have noticed, but it's not my business acumen that is the subject of the article. Trump being a public figure leaves him open to criticism by anyone. In response to your lame question about my net worth and your belief that it disqualifies me from having and voicing an opinion, I would ask the same. How many billions do you possess that permits you the ability to assert that Trump is the success you seem to believe? The fact is that, no, I'm not a billionaire. But then, neither did my daddy leave me $200 million when he died. Had he, I strongly suspect I would be richer than Trump, because I would have had the common sense he lacks and realized that I'm not a business type, so I would have done what he didn't, and invested my money, likely in index funds, which would have made me worth at least three times what he is.

Come back when you can posit an insult that has some teeth.

I think you should spend a day away from the internet. I don't think any successful business person would put this much effort into something so pointless

As someone making a living from a business myself, I can tell you that borrowing is normal and the nature of new endeavors is that they are risky. Some fail.

This is why some people never try. Fear of failure and lack if experience in rusk management.

Hence all the armchair CEO's.

Edited by Dagnabbit

Hardly. Dagnabbit inserted a comment to the effect that anyone not already an enormous success in business lacked the qualifications to criticize Trump's debt. He then compared Richard Branson's failures to Trump's in an attempt to assert that Trump's were somehow legitimate. I countered, explaining that to compare Trump's business character to Branson's is ludicrous. How is that off-topic?

Actually I was pointing out the naivety of some people.

There are university professors that teach business that understand why debt is used.

It is not lack of success we see reflected here but lack of knowledge. Bro-business accumen...

Just now, Dagnabbit said:

Actually I was pointing out the naivety of some people.

There are university professors that teach business that understand why debt is used.

It is not lack of success we see reflected here but lack of knowledge. Bro-business accumen...

I suspect you meant "Pro-business". Typos happen.

I never indicated at any point that borrowing is not an oftentimes necessary business practice. Having owned my own business in the past, I realize its usefulness. However, Trump uses it as a primary means of funding his businesses, very, very few of which have ever succeeded. Ergo, it becomes a reasonable inference that he abuses it, which inference is supported by the fact that traditional channels of lending are now closed to him and he is forced to either borrow via bonds, always of junk status, or look to highly questionable and most definitely non-traditional avenues, like going to Russian oligarchs. Not necessarily a wise move, especially for a President, as that leaves him open to potential pressure.

Texas Man slaughters innocent animal

Jim Bob Jones of Mineral Wells, Texas caught a 23 inch bass on Possum Kingdom Lake west of Fort Worth.

There's how the media works when it comes to Trump.  He's declared war on them and they've taken up the challenge.

17 minutes ago, Traveler19491 said:

I suspect you meant "Pro-business". Typos happen.

I never indicated at any point that borrowing is not an oftentimes necessary business practice. Having owned my own business in the past, I realize its usefulness. However, Trump uses it as a primary means of funding his businesses, very, very few of which have ever succeeded. Ergo, it becomes a reasonable inference that he abuses it, which inference is supported by the fact that traditional channels of lending are now closed to him and he is forced to either borrow via bonds, always of junk status, or look to highly questionable and most definitely non-traditional avenues, like going to Russian oligarchs. Not necessarily a wise move, especially for a President, as that leaves him open to potential pressure.

No - I mean "Bro-business" just like "Bro-Science" - in other words a brand of reasoning based on zero education or experience deemed more credible than people that run businesses. 

As your post exemplifies. 

3 minutes ago, daboyz1 said:

There's how the media works when it comes to Trump.  He's declared war on them and they've taken up the challenge.

"People may not always think big themselves, but they can still get very excited by those who do. That's why a little hyperbole never hurts," Trump wrote in his 1987 best-seller The Art of the Deal. "People want to believe that something is the biggest and the greatest and the most spectacular. I call it truthful hyperbole. It's an innocent form of exaggeration — and a very effective form of promotion."

(Trump - The Art of the Deal)

Trump has always played loose with the truth. He has always employed his lies, exaggerations, and half-truths as a means of attracting attention to himself. And it has always worked. Until it continued to "work" in a manner that he didn't like. Lying/exaggerating as a means of self-promotion are more or less benign in business, so long as you are not committing fraud (like with Trump University). However, when you are running for office and asking for basically unlimited power, you can't expect a tactic like that to go unchallenged. And the one thing Trump can not tolerate is being challenged. He has to win.

He started his campaign lies all the way back in 2011 when he was toying with the idea of running against Obama. The press called him out every time. He despised that, which formed his hatred of the press. It has never been the press being malicious. It has been them refusing to allow him to pass off his BS as the truth, so they have persistently gone after any and all claims that he has made, the result being his almost incalculable number of falsehoods being exposed. Now, the orange one has labeled the press as "an enemy of the people". Dictators do that. In banana republics. Not politicians who recognize the First Amendment and strive to defend it. No President has had an amiable relationship with the press. But Trump's over-the-top adversarial relationship is of his own doing.

And his followers lap it up. Lemmings.

4 minutes ago, Traveler19491 said:

"People may not always think big themselves, but they can still get very excited by those who do. That's why a little hyperbole never hurts," Trump wrote in his 1987 best-seller The Art of the Deal. "People want to believe that something is the biggest and the greatest and the most spectacular. I call it truthful hyperbole. It's an innocent form of exaggeration — and a very effective form of promotion."

(Trump - The Art of the Deal)

Trump has always played loose with the truth. He has always employed his lies, exaggerations, and half-truths as a means of attracting attention to himself. And it has always worked. Until it continued to "work" in a manner that he didn't like. Lying/exaggerating as a means of self-promotion are more or less benign in business, so long as you are not committing fraud (like with Trump University). However, when you are running for office and asking for basically unlimited power, you can't expect a tactic like that to go unchallenged. And the one thing Trump can not tolerate is being challenged. He has to win.

He started his campaign lies all the way back in 2011 when he was toying with the idea of running against Obama. The press called him out every time. He despised that, which formed his hatred of the press. It has never been the press being malicious. It has been them refusing to allow him to pass off his BS as the truth, so they have persistently gone after any and all claims that he has made, the result being his almost incalculable number of falsehoods being exposed. Now, the orange one has labeled the press as "an enemy of the people". Dictators do that. In banana republics. Not politicians who recognize the First Amendment and strive to defend it. No President has had an amiable relationship with the press. But Trump's over-the-top adversarial relationship is of his own doing.

And his followers lap it up. Lemmings.

It's one thing to call him out on lies, of which he has many.  He lies constantly as do all politicians.  It's something entirely different when the media starts doing the same in retaliation.  They are no longer the unbiased media IMO.  They have become entertainment, the same as the Kardashians. 

Edited by daboyz1

16 minutes ago, Dagnabbit said:

No - I mean "Bro-business" just like "Bro-Science" - in other words a brand of reasoning based on zero education or experience deemed more credible than people that run businesses. 

A little background. I operated my own financial planning company for several years. I held licenses in insurance and investments, including a Series 7 stock broker's license from the National Association of Securities Dealers, the self-policing private agency that oversees all investment professionals under the auspices of the SEC.

I taught licensing courses for people who wanted to acquire their investment credentials, courses that had to be approved in advance by the NASD. Part of that educational process is developing an in-depth familiarity with all things related to business and business financing, including stocks, bonds, debentures, limited partnerships, bank financing, corporate structure, investor relations, and the laws related to what is and isn't permissible in business finance. Your silly little reference to "Bro-business" is assinine in the extreme, and accomplishes nothing more than illuminate your own lack of knowledge. Arguing this subject with you is like playing chess with someone who has yet to grasp the concept of checkers. Like I said, come back when you can offer an insult with some teeth.

Edited by Traveler19491

3 minutes ago, daboyz1 said:

It's one thing to call him out on lies, of which he has many.  He lies constantly as do all politicians.  It's something entirely different when the media starts doing the same in retaliation.  They are no longer the unbiased media IMO.  They have become entertainment, the same as the Kardashians. 

Everybody lies occasionally. Trump lies all the time. There is no one  in American politics, who comes even close to his record of dishonesty.

Exactly how is the media lying. They reported that Comey kept memos. The denialists said it was only a rumor, unsubstantiated. The reported that Trump was under investigation. The denialists said more rumors until Trump himself said that he was under investigation.

23 minutes ago, daboyz1 said:

As I said, I await your facts that demonstrate that the headline is, in your words, "misleading". Still waiting. And now, I await your facts that concretely prove that the media has lied about Trump. 

Note: a factually incorrect assertion in the media that is later corrected or retracted is not a lie. It is an error that has been corrected. Something Trump has never done.

Edited by Traveler19491

1 hour ago, Dagnabbit said:

The key to surviving these failures is to not put all your money into one venture. Hence you borrow, get financial backing. Then one failure doesnt destroy you.

No.  It just destroys the people who aren't going to get paid for the work they did for your benefit, based on your promise to pay them, and products they sold you based on your promise to pay for them.

Edited by impulse

31 minutes ago, Dagnabbit said:

Thanks. It all makes sense now. That guy whose office I ran out of, who used his dick instead of his hand must've been a "bro-proctologist"

T

Thanks. It all makes sense now. That guy whose office I ran out of, who used his dick instead of his hand must've been a "bro-proctologist"

T

Well I would certainly consider cancelling your follow up appointment.

T

All businesses are a risk. Are you suggesting that nobody should start a risky business?

Elon Musk had a ton of failures...

http://www.visualcapitalist.com/elon-musk-long-list-failures/

"FAILING OFTEN

As every entrepreneur knows, any business venture can be upended by failures at any moment – and it is how one bounces back from those failures that counts."

But I think Elon is a success. He's in the hole to the tune of over $600M .

According to the Bro-Business men here, Elon is a bum....

16 minutes ago, Dagnabbit said:

Well I would certainly consider cancelling your follow up appointment.

Are you kidding? You know how hard it Is to  find a bro-proctologist? Everywhere you look, they're all so darn qualified, with degrees and all. In retrospect, I think I may have been a little hasty running outta there. Anyway, it's moot; he won't see me anymore, says I'm not his type of patient. He likes big asses and he says he cannot  lie.

T

15 minutes ago, Dagnabbit said:

All businesses are a risk. Are you suggesting that nobody should start a risky business?

Elon Musk had a ton of failures...

http://www.visualcapitalist.com/elon-musk-long-list-failures/

"FAILING OFTEN

As every entrepreneur knows, any business venture can be upended by failures at any moment – and it is how one bounces back from those failures that counts."

But I think Elon is a success. He's in the hole to the tune of over $600M .

According to the Bro-Business men here, Elon is a bum....

Elon Musk has actually made contributions to society. He gave us PayPal, one of the first secure online payment systems that jump started ecommerce. He helped popularize electric cars, Is investing in solar energy that will have a positive impact in slowing global climate change. If he makes a lot of money along the way, good for him. 

But back to Trump. Considering Ng the number of Trump businesses that have failed and the kinds that have failed, how they failed, who they hurt, and who came out on top, not only unscathed, but better off—I'd say bankruptcy was part of his business plan from the getgo, or at least became so along the way when he realized things were going to go belly up. He is nothing more than a slick scam artist who's been extraordinarily lucky, starting with being born rich and then inheriting a fortune.

T

Making contributions to society is irrelevant. Making money is the name of the game. If it happens to improve society so be it.

I can imagine telling the investors "I know I lost all of your money, but I made a contribution to society"

That's living in fantasy land. Business is business. It's not a charity.