Importing Personal Effects to Thailand - Where is the line for personal vs business?

mdsvanc

2 hours ago, William C F Pierce said:

Great post and topic. Next year I will likewise be bringing my engineering tools of a lifetime,  garden tools, kitchen equipment and a kit car that has a doner car originally registered in 1972. I will be using the Shipper called Excess Baggage to ship to Chiang Mai as they double deck over a car with a frame and floor to maximise the use of the space. The varied advice given here has been very enlightening and useful. Cheers guys!

The kit car may be a problem unfortunately...

I will be relocating to live in Phuket next year. One poster has mentioned a figure of around B70k for import duty costs on standard contents. Can anyone give me some ballpark idea of current door to door shipping costs from UK to Thailand for 20ft container ? And any shipping agent recommendations if poss?

On 2017-6-19 at 2:36 PM, virgomjh said:

I will be relocating to live in Phuket next year. One poster has mentioned a figure of around B70k for import duty costs on standard contents. Can anyone give me some ballpark idea of current door to door shipping costs from UK to Thailand for 20ft container ? And any shipping agent recommendations if poss?

I have been quoted by ExessBaggage about £4500 from the UK on the bases of a shared container. 

Tools for woodworking: Bandsaw, tablesaw, router, router table,  drill press and a roll-away toolbox full of hand tools such as chisels and so forth.

Tools for metalworking: Tig/stick welder,  small milling machine(8x26 or so) lightweight, small metalworking lathe(10x22),  Metal cutting bandsaw, hydraulic press, 72" belt grinder and another  roll-away filled with metalworking tools. .

All you mention will cost you a fortune in Import tax, even you use your Thai wife name.

On ‎21‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 1:16 PM, William C F Pierce said:

I have been quoted by ExessBaggage about £4500 from the UK on the bases of a shared container. 

Thanks for feedback really appreciated. Would this be a shared 20' container - shared 50/50 with one other?

On 22/06/2017 at 5:47 PM, Esanlover said:

Tools for woodworking: Bandsaw, tablesaw, router, router table,  drill press and a roll-away toolbox full of hand tools such as chisels and so forth.

Tools for metalworking: Tig/stick welder,  small milling machine(8x26 or so) lightweight, small metalworking lathe(10x22),  Metal cutting bandsaw, hydraulic press, 72" belt grinder and another  roll-away filled with metalworking tools. .

All you mention will cost you a fortune in Import tax, even you use your Thai wife name.

Read my lips, or better still my earlier post. In 2005 i imported two 20' containers that belonged to me, ie they were staying here in this country, with an insured listed contents around £50k of personal and workshop stuff. My bill this end was 70k TB. Very reasonable i thought.

No idea of current costs, the above prices quoted seem high to me, unless shipping costs has gone through the roof.

In 2005 i paid $1500 per 20' container door to door (Felixstowe - Udon). Obviously i was not hiring the containers in that price as i had purchased them outright.

I had to pay crane/lorry hire from where the containers were stored to the docks in the UK, about 70 miles, and a crane this end at my house, as the two container trucks from Laem Chabang did not have lifting facilities (about 10k TB booked for 4hrs).

For some reason, the BKK shipping agent liked to quote in US $.

Just now, thaiguzzi said:

No idea of current costs, the above prices quoted seem high to me, unless shipping costs has gone through the roof.

In 2005 i paid $1500 per 20' container door to door (Felixstowe - Udon). Obviously i was not hiring the containers in that price as i had purchased them outright.

I had to pay crane/lorry hire from where the containers were stored to the docks in the UK, about 70 miles, and a crane this end at my house, as the two container trucks from Laem Chabang did not have lifting facilities (about 10k TB booked for 4hrs).

Hi Tg my friend, 

thats actually pretty good as your boxes ( containers) were owned by you they are considered as SOC ( Shippers Own Containers) - yes the people employed in shipping are really sharp ! As such you would not pay for a pro rata return empty from surplus area ( of 20 foot containers) to a deficit though 20 ft units are in demand ex LoS coz export cargo is bloody heavy 

well that's the theory anyway but as shipping has gone rapidly down the tubes with major lines ( my company was owned by six Arab states so not short of a penny or two but went out anyway) go bust or get swallowed up as they throw in the towel who knows what " logic" is used nowadays. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎26‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 4:42 AM, thaiguzzi said:

Sorry for late reply - been away. Sounds very reasonable - how much did you pay for the containers? Would be grateful for the name of the agent to get a quote - if they are still in business.

7 hours ago, virgomjh said:

Sorry for late reply - been away. Sounds very reasonable - how much did you pay for the containers? Would be grateful for the name of the agent to get a quote - if they are still in business.

Containers were top of the range insulated 20' @ £1500 each + VAT.

This was 2003, i had a choice of sea worthy containers starting @ around £550 ea +VAT. The cost goes up depending on condition, quick spray over, full sand blast and proper paint job, new seals on doors, internal condition blah blah. Mine were ex New Zealand lamb, ie refrigerated units with full internal insulation, ie its hot outside, you open the doors and they are cool inside and vise versa.

I then got my carpenter mate to kit them out with proper wooden floors and work benches and my 'lecky mate to wire them with sockets, lights and switches and proper fuse/safety cut system. Obviously all extra money.

Agent was found in the classified ad section in the BP newspaper. Forget their name, but they were very professional, and i met them in person at their BKK offices.

On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 8:36 PM, virgomjh said:

Try to contact eagle mover Thailand.

£4500 from the UK on the bases of a shared container, is out of this world.  Not even a 20ft. for you alone would cost that.

I paid EUR 6300 for 40ft. from Europe to Bangkok. Including packing and unpacking. This was eagle movers Thailand.

On ‎07‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 6:30 AM, thaiguzzi said:

Edit.

I am sure they will be still in business, this was a big concern, big offices and lots of staff.

I'll see if i can find some paperwork, if so, i'll post the name up in a couple of days.

On ‎07‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 0:49 PM, Esanlover said:

Try to contact eagle mover Thailand.

£4500 from the UK on the bases of a shared container, is out of this world.  Not even a 20ft. for you alone would cost that.

I paid EUR 6300 for 40ft. from Europe to Bangkok. Including packing and unpacking. This was eagle movers Thailand.

Thanks for the feedback! Will certainly get a quote from Eagle Movers and look forward to any info on thaiguzzi's agent.