Police across Bangkok ordered to check CCTV cameras

rooster59

Police across Bangkok ordered to check CCTV cameras

By The Nation

278338c98e67e917cd13f80bac804cac.jpeg

POLICE in Bangkok have ordered all stations in the capital to speed up checks of surveillance cameras in their areas in a bid to provide better safety for the public.

Deputy chief of the Metropolitan Police Bureau Pol Maj Gen Surachai Kuandechakup said on Saturday he had ordered 88 police stations to check if CCTV cameras work properly or need any repairs after some small explosions in the capital in recent months. 

He also ordered city police to patrol important and crowded locations in order to prevent any criminal or illegal activity.

Surachai said he also instructed police stations to speed up the formation of a network to monitor risky incidents.

There have been three blasts in Bangkok over the past two months, but authorities have said a suspect arrested this week confessed to being behind the bombs.

The suspect was identified as Wattana Pummares, 61, who previously worked for the Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand as an engineer. He was reportedly an active red shirt supporter.

Wattana confessed he was behind bombs at Phramongkutklao Hospital in May 22, outside the National Theatre on May 15, and in front of old Government Lottery Office on Rajdamnoen Avenue, as well as several incidents back in 2007.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30318359

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-06-17

It would likely be better and more effective to let a company that knows how they work check them. If somebody get hired and paid for doing it, it will probably mean that all are being checked too.

Edited by Get Real

1 hour ago, Get Real said:

It would likely be better and more effective to let a company that knows how they work check them. If somebody get hired and paid for doing it, it will probably mean that all are being checked too.

I thought they were initially deployed with a service and Maintenence contract.  That is where the money is on these sorts of things.

I also thought that a maintenance contract was part of the package that the BMA paid for in installing its cameras.  And then I seem to remember some questions with the terms of the contract and how the money was actually spent. And from the 2015 report below, it did seem to include maintenance work on the system.

5945e0fce9a00_2017-06-1809_09.jpg.8190d28b50363b45ac6c4b53e0cf39a1.jpg

But more to the point, what does your average flat foot BKK cop know about CCTV cameras? The above mentioned article says the CCTV feeds go to some kind of monitoring center maintained/staffed by the BMA... And there's probably some guy there with his one TV monitor tuned into Channel 3 on a regular basis.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

1 hour ago, gk10002000 said:

I thought they were initially deployed with a service and Maintenence contract.  That is where the money is on these sorts of things.

If they had that they would regulary been checked. That´s not the facts.

Police ordered to check cctv?

What a brain dead idea,99.9% of police would have no idea what to do, except to f++++ things up.

The 1 thing they are good at is losing footage when it is needed to show wrong doing.

40 minutes ago, Get Real said:

If they had that they would regulary been checked. That´s not the facts.

If they had that they would been checked?  complete nonsense. Just because there is a contract and money being paid, doesn't mean the work is being done.  It is called, graft, corruption. I know for a fact the CCTVs in Pattaya were initially on a service/maintenance contract.  Not much has happened

18 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

If they had that they would been checked?  complete nonsense. Just because there is a contract and money being paid, doesn't mean the work is being done.  It is called, graft, corruption. I know for a fact the CCTVs in Pattaya were initially on a service/maintenance contract.  Not much has happened

That´s just because nobody is taking care of it, and seeing that they get what they paid for. Still doesn´t mean that the police are better on checking them than a comany working with them. Exactly as stated in my first comment.

Read what Tall guy posted.

6 minutes ago, Get Real said:

That´s just because nobody is taking care of it, and seeing that they get what they paid for. Still doesn´t mean that the police are better on checking them than a comany working with them. Exactly as stated in my first comment.

Read what Tall guy posted and get with the program

15 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

Read what Tall guy posted.

Read what Tall guy posted and get with the program

Sorry, doesn´t seem like the program is working.

Again! All I said was that the police have no knowledge about checking cctv cameras, and should let it be done by a comapny with knowledge.

Maybe you read what people post from start. Much better! Thanks in advance.

i used to install and repair CCTV in australia. all that is really required is to look at the screen and see if there is a video feed.  this costs very little and does not need anyone of any real skill.  it is almost always the power feed to the camera that goes down which is fairly easily fixed. i dont really understand why so many cameras are not working.

12 hours ago, BigBadGeordie said:

Go check the CCTV is working?

Surely that is within the daily standing orders and part of the ongoing preventative maintenance program?

OK sorry, I will leave now.....head down in shame.............

Yeah, get your coat.

17 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

farang no understand thailand; service and maintenance budget already used up in under the table payments and lining pockets

On 6/19/2017 at 5:26 AM, rennie1988 said:

Aren't the cameras wired to somewhere like a control room where the police can see which ones are live? I must be missing something here.

"I must be missing something here." Are you a member of the RTP (missing something)?   :shock1::cheesy: hehe.............