Nightlife shut down again in chaweng

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

Yes, today – but that's not how it started, if all the tales from the glorious hippie-era is true, and that was what I referred to – and even in more so-called quiet areas of present time, they also party, but more hi-so style like at Q-barNikki Beach, and Beach Republic, and other places; not to forget all the one-off parties, for example weddings that folks travel to Samui for; it may not be that "overwhelming" majority of tourists that are non-partiers...:smile:

What tales? First disco was animal house, central Lamai in the 80s, which was a small bamboo hut style place with music and little dancing. Then another at Lamai, some small bars and the flamingo.

Chaweng was more quiet, Reggea Pub was a very small disco with a sandy dance floor opp. the now Centara Grand, then in the middle of dark tense palm forests.

I know that, because I was there and live since then on Samui.

I can tell you, that people coming here for parties are a tiny minority. Phuket has tons more party places and I would not call Phuket an party island. Ibiza is one

Edited by Birdman

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, Birdman said:

What tales? First disco was animal house, central Lamai in the 80s, which was a small bamboo hut style place with music and little dancing. Then another at Lamai, some small bars and the flamingo.

Chaweng was more quiet, Reggea Pub was a very small disco with a sandy dance floor opp. the now Centara Grand, then in the middle of dark tense palm forests.

I know that, because I was there and live since then on Samui.

I can tell you, that people coming here for parties are a tiny minority. Phuket has tons more party places and I would not call Phuket an party island. Ibiza is one

Thanks, cannot argue, as I unfortunately was not there, but many stories about the late 70s and the 80s are around. One of them is this one:

»...First, we were doing Full Moon Parties on Chaweng Beach, Koh Samui, for about six months before that — maybe a year. I had a restaurant-bar on the beach and was the only farang [foreigner] with a business there at the time. We had a generator like all the other resorts, but it was only operational from about 6pm to 10 pm. Then the restaurant closed and all the party-goers had to make do with candlelight or make a bonfire on the beach. The skies were star-spangled back then and blue phosphorescence would spray like diamonds in the sea when you splashed the waves. It was especially exhilarating when you were on hed kee kwai or “buffalo-dung mushrooms”.«

–from Time Magazine, "Silver Sand and the Sound of Waves: It’s 1988 and Thailand’s First Full Moon Party"

Others stories date the beginning of party-life a decade earlier to 1977's Lamai. Was there anything at Chaweng Beach at that time..?

Mass tourism at Samui is often said to have begun with the airport, i.e. 1989.

However, if you look at the number of tourist coming today for mainly partying in just the Chaweng-area, they shall be counted in several thousands.

And yes, Ibiza is the party island of Europe, but Ibiza is also a lot more than just parties – just like Samui...:smile:

9 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

Let's ask Pig Bill, next year is his 40th anniversary as Samui Expat... emoji16.png

Good idea...:thumbsup:

The legends talks about that the parties were bonfires and guitar playing at night on the beaches. The genuine hippie-era was before public power lines –and generators, if any, were limited to a few hours of use, often from 6 pm till 9 pm – so no electric music and boom-boom discos, only cozy beach-get togethers...

We have another hippie-era poster, Joe, that "lived on Koh Phangan and worked in Samui from 1978 until 1987", who in a thread told about some of the very first "Full Moon Parties" when commuting to a then completely uninhabited Haad Rin by long-tail boats to enjoy the full Moon rise over the sea. 

He also said: 

Although I been many times down in Hadrin back then, sometimes from Samui by boat,

sometimes walking from Tongsala down along the beach, I do remember Christmas 1977,

I went to Samui to celebrate my 21st birthday as here on Koh Phangan there was nothing.

No bars, no discos. The only place close to a "nightclub" was the Lamai Inn in Samui. 

After spending most of the day in Samui eating Mushroom omelettes, mushroom noodles,

mushroom burgers and mushroom shakes, we decided to go over to Hadrin for the night

to have fun without the dreaded police around. 

I remember this Thai girl, her nick name was "Frog" who came with us. Her parents owned

the restaurant and souvenir shop just by the pier in Nathon and organised the long tail boat

for us to go over to Hadrin to watch the full moon rise out of the water and celebrate X-mas

(and my birthday) with sex, drugs, music, sand flies and gonorrhoea...«
Link to forum post.

By the way, the official tale about the Full Moon Parties used to be – now on days it seem like Paradise Bungalow takes credit by saying they arranged the first party in 1985 – that someone celebrated birthday on the beach with bonfire and guitar playing, and it was also full Moon that night. The get together were so good, that they agreed to meet again under next full Moon – and so they have done ever since, but no one can any longer remember who had birthday, or when it started...

Perhaps it was Joe, in 1977..?:smile:

And just for the nostalgic memories from the Hippie-era, here are two photos I found shared public on Facebook:

Lamai Beach 1976...

Lamai-Beach-1976.jpg.d46da6094a95252459108aaa4f72bf0e.jpg

Ao Thongtakian bungalows, close to Lamai, 5 baht a day in 1977...

Near-Lamai_Ao-Thongtakian-bungalows-1977-5-baht-a-day.jpg.e44cda4c90422b0cac1236efc773feec.jpg

17 minutes ago, Bigdogfarang said:

Ha I remember when the road was like that in chaweng at least that's one thing that's improved 

No mud-wrestling anymore...:sad:

Notice  the lack of telephone cables.

On ‎19‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 6:53 AM, Bigdogfarang said:

Strange I go there nearly every night And have never seen anything for a start hardly any Thais go there other than girls - I don't want to call bullshit on what you are saying but I live here and have been there maybe 100 times and never seen any violence at all. Maybe you picked a bad night on your holiday ? Or maybe this was a long time ago although I've been going there on and off for 20 years 

Same as me.  I've been going to the Mango on and off for 15 years and seen very few incidents. Maybe a couple of scraps.  Rarely see any Thai guys in there (except the odd LB), and never seen Thai vs Farang fights there.

Is there another Green Mango in a parallel universe where all this trouble kicks off I wonder? :smile:

On ‎19‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 1:31 PM, impulse said:

Softening up a little bit, some folks remain delightful, drinking until dawn.  But the nature of alcohol, the drug, is that some subset of the people can't control how much they drink and some of them will behave badly.  Real badly.  Unfortunately, most laws have to be written to protect the public from the worst examples. 

Like so much of life, a small minority screws it up for everyone. 

I've often wondered about this.  Lots of people become complete a*holes after a lot of drink, whereas alcohol makes me a happier more relaxed person, even after a very long session. And I have to suffer because of the ones who react badly to booze.

You put my thoughts into words perfectly here!

On ‎19‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 6:34 PM, TheLobster said:

Green Mango is a dangerous place to be on your own, no matter what age you are. 

This may be mitigated by being able to speak Thai or having people you know on the island.

I assume you must be joking? The Green Mango club is safer than any clubs and bars I've frequented in London / Essex. In Green Mango I have felt happy, drunk, excited, intrigued, and a few other emotions.  But never scared!

If you're being serious I suggest you stay indoors in the evenings :smile:

It's funny, in the UK several years ago they removed the opening hours restrictions for pubs and clubs.  It used to be that pubs closed at 11pm, and nightclubs 2am.  It was thought that by removing these restrictions people would be less likely to cram in loads of booze before closing times, and we'd see a more relaxed drinking culture emerge. So now you can find clubs open until all hours of the morning in the UK.

I don't think it reduced the drink related incidents in the UK.  And I don't think the Thai authorities closing down the place at 1am will achieve much either. Aside from p155ing off a lot of people who like to go for long relaxing drink sessions!

Edited by CG1 Blue
grammar

34 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

I've often wondered about this.  Lots of people become complete a*holes after a lot of drink, whereas alcohol makes me a happier more relaxed person, even after a very long session. And I have to suffer because of the ones who react badly to booze.

You put my thoughts into words perfectly here!

Yes, you do have to suffer for it. Sorry about that, it is nothing personal, but yes, you do. 

I hesitate to post on this as I don't want to be preachy or to sound like I am looking down on anyone; I don't and I'm not. I had my times in bars and clubs (great fun!) and still have an occasional glass now and then.

However, the damage done by those who can't deal with booze must be addressed. The drunk-driving, the fights, domestic abuse, etc. are real and serious issues, even if they aren't caused by all.

I don't have answers to the points above, but I would simply say that any discussion of alcohol needs to include them. Even one about club-closing time.

54 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

However, the damage done by those who can't deal with booze must be addressed. The drunk-driving, the fights, domestic abuse, etc. are real and serious issues, even if they aren't caused by all.

You are very correct and there are laws to regulate any of the issues you mention !

None of the issues is in any way related to a closing hour of bars, clubs or anything else.

The issues need to be addressed as they are ! And all of the issues are regulated already.

The closing is a simple power demonstration and a tyrannical act and needs to be seen for what it is !!!

It's insane to think you can change people by suppressing them.

It never worked in history anywhere ... it's usually a sign of systems falling apart [which in my opinion is exactly what is happening !]

2 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

Same as me.  I've been going to the Mango on and off for 15 years and seen very few incidents. Maybe a couple of scraps.  Rarely see any Thai guys in there (except the odd LB), and never seen Thai vs Farang fights there.

Is there another Green Mango in a parallel universe where all this trouble kicks off I wonder? :smile:

The fact you haven't seen it doesn't mean its not true.

I HAVE seen it and its not pretty.

Seen people beaten unconscious, a shooting and all of the aggression you would associate with a night out in Southend.

Another rosy tinted tourist.

3 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Seen people beaten unconscious, a shooting and all of the aggression you would associate with a night out in Southend.

Don't get me wrong, I've seen my fair share of bad incidents in LOS.  I just wouldn't put the Mango up there as a dangerous venue.

Maybe you've been extremely unlucky with the timing of your visits there.  

Please let me know when you're going there next, so I can stay away that night :shock1: (no offence :smile:)

Southend?? 555 you really are a drama queen

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On ‎19‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 6:34 PM, TheLobster said:

This may be mitigated by being able to speak Thai or having people you know on the island.

5 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

I assume you must be joking? The Green Mango club is safer than any clubs and bars I've frequented in London / Essex. In Green Mango I have felt happy, drunk, excited, intrigued, and a few other emotions.  But never scared!

Did my post appear like a joke? Did I say I was scared? No, just experienced to know enough about the place.

What I did say was that it was a dangerous place to be on your own, particularly at the end of the nightlife. It is dangerous for people who are 'happy, drunk, excited, intrigued, and a few other emotions'  and alone  because you are the perfect victim, of possibly just theft if you are lucky.

Edited by TheLobster
Correction

1 hour ago, TheLobster said:
On 6/19/2017 at 7:34 PM, TheLobster said:

6 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

Did my post appear like a joke? Did I say I was scared? No, just experienced to know enough about the place.

What I did say was that it was a dangerous place to be on your own, particularly at the end of the nightlife. It is dangerous for people who are 'happy, drunk, excited, intrigued, and a few other emotions'  and alone  because you are the perfect victim, of possibly just theft if you are lucky.

May I kindly ask you, TheLobster, how often you come in Green Mango Club, and for how long time/many years, since you know the club and the area around the club is so dangerous..?:smile:

6 minutes ago, khunPer said:

May I kindly ask you, TheLobster, how often you come in Green Mango Club, and for how long time/many years, since you know the club and the area around the club is so dangerous..?:smile:

With respect KhunPer, I have only lived on Samui for a meagre 10 years. I'm not talking specifically about the Green Mango Club but I know because of the number of tourists, the Green Mango Area attracts the lower forms of life on Samui.

I have found the bars and restaurants in the area to be in the same mode of modus operandi, 'make the most out of the customer' such as exorbitant bills or poor food. They don't care because they think you are tourists and won't be back in the near future. I'm sure as a 'regular' you get treated much better :wink:

On leaving there are 'the vultures' including taxi drivers, pick pockets and Lady Boys.

If you wish for some consolation, it is probably far more dangerous to ride around the island on a motorbike, particularly around Bangrak, Chaweng, Lamai and inbetween.

Kind regards,

TheLobster

7 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Lobster they are probably running bars in the area, its the only reasonable excuse for their myopic nonsense.

Shit, you're not one of the Kray twins are you? I'm sorry if I've caused any offence!

I still stand by my comments though  :wink:

11 minutes ago, TheLobster said:

Shit, you're not one of the Kray twins are you? I'm sorry if I've caused any offence!

I still stand by my comments though  :wink:

Haha no I am simply an observant resident of many many years.

Hell I remember when the likes of birdman arrived and we all howled with discontent.

Live and let live but that place is a cesspit of all that is bad.

I was at Green Mango last night and there was a major incident someone had spilt their drink on the dance floor and for about 5 minutes there was a hazardous slippery patch that could have caused all sorts of carnage - luckily it was cleared up relatively quickly - stay vigilent friends this is a  viscous dangerous place...

1 hour ago, Bigdogfarang said:

I was at Green Mango last night and there was a major incident someone had spilt their drink on the dance floor and for about 5 minutes there was a hazardous slippery patch that could have caused all sorts of carnage - luckily it was cleared up relatively quickly - stay vigilent friends this is a  viscous dangerous place...

Me too – was also at Green Mango Club – quite dangerous with all the foreign tourist ladies trying to squeeze me, I may fall down from the dance podium... :shock1:
Must admit, I was so busy trying to stay put up there – and get loose of the scary ladies' hug – that I didn't notice that evening's major incident on the floor; that was a pity...:biggrin:

34 minutes ago, steelerian said:

This thread does amuse me. Some of you must lead very sheltered lives, and be scared to just wake up in the mornings. 

It does seem a shame that some of the long term residents here seem to live their life in fear of the native population and believe all of the sensational headlines they read in the papers vs those that actually go out and see it for themselves - I guess pensioners here are no different to home at then UK sat reading the tabloids scared

to leave their own homes. Sad really. 

8 minutes ago, Bigdogfarang said:

It does seem a shame that some of the long term residents here seem to live their life in fear of the native population and believe all of the sensational headlines they read in the papers vs those that actually go out and see it for themselves - I guess pensioners here are no different to home at then UK sat reading the tabloids scared

to leave their own homes. Sad really. 

Which part of "In my own experience" did you not understand?

Yours is different and I say lucky for you, I hope it remains that way.