Is gold still a good investment?

9 hours ago, mogandave said:

Nothing wrong with holding a little gold, but not if your looking for growth.

Sure. If gold is 10% of your financial assets rather than 100%, then your 5 year loss will only have been 2.3%. Going backwards but more slowly.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Yes, the Chinese will lead the charge to devalue the dollar, that way they won't have to keep exporting all that product, they'll be able to keep it all for themselves.

Indeed

but that is only if you don't believe ultimately the elites would rather start nuclear world War 3 (as they have desperately been trying to do over the last few weeks) than allow that to happen

Sure. If gold is 10% of your financial assets rather than 100%, then your 5 year loss will only have been 2.3%. Going backwards but more slowly.

So while you have your calculator out, what what would you loss have been if you bought six months ago?

How about ten years ago?

13 minutes ago, mogandave said:

So while you have your calculator out, what what would you loss have been if you bought six months ago?

How about ten years ago?

And that is precisely my point. Depends on the timing and is not a one-way bet as is claimed by the gold bugs. 10 years ago in the money, 7 years ago big fat zero. Actually big fat zero is a negative because it ignores opportunity cost of dividends and reinvested dividends. In addition all you guys should learn to read commodity price charts. Bit embarrassing to ask others to do it for you.

And that is precisely my point. Depends on the timing and is not a one-way bet as is claimed by the gold bugs. 10 years ago in the money, 7 years ago big fat zero. Actually big fat zero is a negative because it ignores opportunity cost of dividends and reinvested dividends. In addition all you guys should learn to read commodity price charts. Bit embarrassing to ask others to do it for you.

We can't all be wealthy sage investors like you.

So what are your picks for the next six months?

40 minutes ago, mogandave said:

We can't all be wealthy sage invested like you.

So what are your picks for the next six months?

Since one size does not fit all, individual choices depend on a range of factors including propensity for risk etc. As for me sometimes I get it right and sometimes I don't. Re gold, I prefer to trade in and out. That means buy and sell.

Edited by SheungWan

Since one size does not fit all, individual choices depend on a range of factors including propensity for risk etc. As for me sometimes I get it right and sometimes I don't. Re gold, I prefer to trade in and out. That means buy and sell.

That's precisely my point, that's why I was asking for your picks.

So for gold, you think it is better to buy when it's low, and sell when it's high?

1 hour ago, mogandave said:

That's precisely my point, that's why I was asking for your picks.

So for gold, you think it is better to buy when it's low, and sell when it's high?

In the rear-view mirror a sure-fire recipe for success.