marriage before cermony?

sanook 1

Can we registry our marriage and be officially married before any cermony/get together with the families? Eg registry marriage at the office now and have the cermony etc after 6 month or 1 year,is it possible? Most people do the opposite i guess? And also  i read you need to be married before your gf give birth to be the father legally on the paper,is this correct? Thanks for any input:)

Yes, but you still need the paperwork that says you can get married when you go to the city office to register the marriage.  It's really at the City office you get married anyway because you are registering your marriage, signing the legal marriage documents and getting the formal certificates. The Temple, Hotel, or wherever you chose is only a ceremony.  You might get a document from the monks as proof of ceremony but the real document is the one that is issued at the City office.

You do not need to be married to have your name on your babies birth certificate.

And the village ceremony means nothing even if the monks are there, it is just a party for the sake of the family's face.....lol

The only way to get married is at the Amphur.

HL

Yes, those are 2 completely independent things. To have a valid marriage, you need to sit at the Amphur district and be issued a marriage certificate. If you don't have this certificate, no matter how big of a ceremony you had and no matter how many monks attended, you are single and the child is illegitimate.

If the child is born before you sit at the Amphur, the child will be legitimized once you register your marriage (and get the certificate) at the Amphur, so don't worry about that.

The Amphur does not manage the ceremony at all - all they do is issue the certificate, and allow your wife to change her name to yours.

If you are legally married at the time of birth you automatically get to be the legal parent of the child. If after the birth you need to be named on the birth certificate to become the legal father, otherwise you have to go to court to become the legal father.

Its not a legal problem, I got married in July and had the wedding the following January. What you need to bear in mind is that even though you have a marriage certificate a Thai family may not recognise the marriage until you have been before the monks.

The other thing of course is that you end up with 2 anniversaries. 

You do not have to do the wedding party part, I certainly didn't, registering the marriage at the Amphur is sufficient, although it may deprive your future wife of her big day and the family their big party!

You can be registered as the Father on the Thai birth certificate even if you are not married and as and when you marry this then legitimises the child in the eyes of Thai immigration etc.

On 2017-6-18 at 3:45 PM, happylarry said:

HL

Unless the Amphur officials agree to let you sign the marriage documents outside the registration office, and this fact is recorded on the Kor Ror 2.  

7 hours ago, blackcab said:

Unless the Amphur officials agree to let you sign the marriage documents outside the registration office, and this fact is recorded on the Kor Ror 2.  

Quite correct BC, I put it badly, I should have said the only way to get married is in front of a representative official from the Amphur.

for instance when I got married I had a big ceremony and party at my house in Samui and I paid for the official to come to the house to do the signing.

HL

On 6/18/2017 at 3:45 PM, happylarry said:

You do not need to be married to have your name on your babies birth certificate.

And the village ceremony means nothing even if the monks are there, it is just a party for the sake of the family's face.....lol

HL

Corrections, the only Legal way is to get married at the Ampur, 

Edited by Thongkorn

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 1:04 PM, Eyespy said:

So when do I the foreigner apply for my marriage visa and what documents do I need to present to immigration?

I don't know that you have to have any sort of visa to get married. Far as I know you could be on a visa exempt entry, but if you want to live in Thailand you need some sort of proper long term arrangement.

No such thing as a marriage "visa". Get a NON O visa, for 3 months or a multiple entry for 1 year. You don't say how old you are, but if old enough for retirement you can get a non O based on that. If too young for retirement, you have to wait till you get married, and get one based on that.

The marriage part comes when you EXTEND the non O, based on marriage within a month of the non O expiring ( not sure but it might be longer than 1 month now ). So, you then have a one year EXTENSION, based on marriage. There is no requirement to get a marriage extension if you have one based on retirement, which is normally far simpler than one based on marriage.

If I'm wrong, someone will be along to correct me.

There are plenty of threads about the documents and financial requirements on the VISA sub forum, which is where you should be asking about that.

On 16/08/2017 at 6:09 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

PS. If you want to work in Thailand, you would need a B visa and work permit, but a non O would not be used then- can't have two different visas at the same time.

If you are married with a non-O visa based on marriage then you can get a work permit based on that. No need to change to a Non-B.