Suvarnabhumi Stand-off: Airport claps back after being called ninth worst

webfact

1 minute ago, Becker said:

Even though I believe Swampy does not deserve to be called the 9th worst airport in the world it's not even close to Changi standards. They're not even playing in the same league.

what makes you say that?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Becker said:

http://www.changiairport.com/en/airport-experience/attractions-and-services.html

There's a reason why Changi has been crowned the best airport in the world for a number of years.

with due respect for your academic referencing, I would be more interested in your own arguments and comparaisons with both the hubs!

1 minute ago, observer90210 said:

with due respect for your academic referencing, I would be more interested in your own arguments and comparaisons with both the hubs!

The ways Changi is better than Swampy:

Getting to and from the airport.

Immigration lines.

Baggage handling

Restrooms

Shops

Restaurants

Bars

Internet

Cinema

Hotels

Attractions in general

Walking distance to gates

Could go on but this should suffice.

4 minutes ago, Becker said:

The ways Changi is better than Swampy:

Getting to and from the airport.

Immigration lines.

Baggage handling

Restrooms

Shops

Restaurants

Bars

Internet

Cinema

Hotels

Attractions in general

Walking distance to gates

Could go on but this should suffice.

thanks...what about the taxi's? do they argue on putting "on" the meter with farangs?

8 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

not that bad??compared to where? Moscow??

Overpriced food. Monopoly on goods sold, LONG walks and poor immigration.

I agree and the toilets also stink and are too busy. Oh and there are not enough smokinglounges....yes lounges instead of those filthy doghouses they call smokingrooms.

i think the design; concrete and steel everywhere feels cold and unwelcoming it just doesn't feel a welcoming, comfortable and relaxing place, as well as being IMHO unattractive. the toilets are in a shocking location, you have to walk past the garbage, uneaten food and unwashed plates to get to them, not to mention the staff sitting on the floor eating.

6 hours ago, fruitman said:

I agree and the toilets also stink and are too busy. Oh and there are not enough smokinglounges....yes lounges instead of those filthy doghouses they call smokingrooms.

agree on this point, the smoking rooms seem as bad as Bangkok Hilton:cheesy:....but then smoking is filthy for one's health...so perhaps it aims to discourage people getting to relaxed in the smoking lounges and entertaining their lung cancer??????????

Edited by observer90210

19 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I wish that just for once, when Thailand ranks badly at anything, that they would take a look at the problem and address it, rather than issue denials that no one believes.

Here for example, addressing immigration queues would be a better idea, than just questioning the surveys results.

I think Dubai was considered worse than BKK which tells you lots about the validity of the survey.

19 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Agreed... For the majority of passengers the overwhelming issue is with the often lengthy immigration queues upon arrival and departure.

Otherwise, Suvarnabhumi Airport is quite decent, food courts are ok, prices quite reasonable. Duty free while large is not too invasive as with other Airports, there's fast food, Pharmacies and some (but not a lot) of resting areas. 

It does seem strange that a relatively new airport relies so heavily on 'bus gates' and those busses get hot. So, at least have some better Air-con tunnels to and from the Bus Gates.

They could also improve the time it takes for regular passengers to wait for a Taxi. The Scamming taxi's is a Thailand issue, there is not much the Airport can do about that other than use the 'ticket' system and not allow Taxi's to return to the Airpot queue if a complaint has been made against them. 

Taxi scamming is not a Thailand only issue.

Taxi scamming happens all over the world.

I travel in and out on a monthly basis and I reckon on arrival only about 30% > 40% of the Immigration Points are open at anyone time. Add to that those Immigration Officers who are standing around doing effall on their bloody mobile and what do you get ... ridiculous queues and irate passengers. It adds about 45 minutes to getting from A to B. 

What I find surprising about airports like Suvarnabhumi or Hong Kongs Chek Lap Kok  is how the architects got it so wrong building expensive aircraft hanger style airports and ignoring the needs of passengers . Changi airport Singapore got it right from day one with one of the most user friendly airports in the world.

19 hours ago, Aachen said:

- Immigration is not business of the airport.

- Food at "Thai Air lounches" (Thai Airways or Thai Air Asia?) is not their business.

You are of course correct but it is the overall image that the passenger gets from their experience of all facilities that matters . 1 hour or more at immigration and hoping that your luggage is still on the carousel is bad enough but new x ray machines being installed at exit points will cause further delays and frustrations .

I rate Suvarnabhumi airport as one of the best ones that I use . 

On Sunday morning I arrived  at Terminal 3 Heathrow from Prague. At 8am the Immigration queues were extremely lengthy. I arived back in Bangkok yesterday morning at 9.30 am and Immigration was a breeze-just 2 people in front of me.

Yes, it can take longer than that but never as bad as Heathrow- please, give Swampy a break.

10 minutes ago, superal said:

You are of course correct but it is the overall image that the passenger gets from their experience of all facilities that matters . 1 hour or more at immigration and hoping that your luggage is still on the carousel is bad enough but new x ray machines being installed at exit points will cause further delays and frustrations .

I rate Suvarnabhumi airport as one of the best ones that I use . 

And lots more opportunities to point out to incoming passengers that Thais are in control. Very important to let them know at every opportunity. Easily confirmed by trying to have a rational conversation with any Thai wearing a pseudo-military uniform. (including the ones that just wander about).

1 hour ago, Othello said:

It may be bad but KL is worse. Recently heading for Langkawi it took 90 minutes to get thru Immigration.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

KLIA 1 or 2? I pass through KLIA 2 a couple of times a year and never had a serious delay.

6 minutes ago, pattaya1234was said:

On Sunday morning I arrived  at Terminal 3 Heathrow from Prague. At 8am the Immigration queues were extremely lengthy. I arived back in Bangkok yesterday morning at 9.30 am and Immigration was a breeze-just 2 people in front of me.

Yes, it can take longer than that but never as bad as Heathrow- please, give Swampy a break.

As with everything else, there's nothing wrong with Swampy per se. The problem (where/when it exists) lies with the staff and management. Too often it's the blind leading the blind. Or the unqualified leading the unintelligent. Yet Thais think their service is just wonderful, even though the customer is usually regarded as being only slightly better than monkeys; after all, if the customer was equal to the service provider, they'd be service providers and have a nice military-looking uniform with a pretty ribbon to show they know where the toilet is. Why should soldiers be the only ones to have a nice pretty uniform anyway?

Edited by Trumpish

3 minutes ago, Trumpish said:

And lots more opportunities to point out to incoming passengers that Thais are in control. Very important to let them know at every opportunity. Easily confirmed by trying to have a rational conversation with any Thai wearing a pseudo-military uniform. (including the ones that just wander about).

Who is in control in your country?

6.3 out of 10 is a Thai "A", what's the problem here?

For once I'd like to see a Thai official accept responsibility, acknowledge the individual issues which seem to affect passengers negatively and come up with some ideas and a plan to address those issues, including monthly measurements of performance which are published.

Or maybe just revert to the "traditional" method: question the comments, threaten defamation, and go back to sleep.

Guest Jerry787

Improve immigration bottleneck and taxi issue, add a faster and easier rail link, and its a quite ok airport

MEMO;  To Swampy;

By directly commenting on the survey and the organization you are only acknowleding how badly you suck.

You should deflect and refocus.

Best comment is to ignore it and focus your commuication on the image you want to have.

Suvvarnabhumi Airport is contunuously striving to be one of the premier International airports in the world.

OOPS!  I forgot your Thai and have that stupid "Face" thing going against you. 

10 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

6.3 out of 10 is a Thai "A", what's the problem here?

For once I'd like to see a Thai official accept responsibility, acknowledge the individual issues which seem to affect passengers negatively and come up with some ideas and a plan to address those issues, including monthly measurements of performance which are published.

Or maybe just revert to the "traditional" method: question the comments, threaten defamation, and go back to sleep.

Not going to happen. The staff hold the power in Thailand, not the management.

22 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

not that bad??compared to where? Moscow??

Overpriced food. Monopoly on goods sold, LONG walks and poor immigration.

Not to forget the Check in experience. If somebody finally understands what is said

then they will surely invent some problem out of nowhere. Check in line ups are second only to Los Angeles.