Toilet seat woes.

up2you2

Following the breakage of my previous toilet (another story - please don't ask), a replacement was fitted by those that broke it.

Having gone to great lengths to get an exact copy so it would fit, it never occurred to me to look at how the seat would be fixed to the pan.
On getting up several days later from it for the first time, I nearly ended up on the floor.
The bracket screws at the back had been incorrectly installed, to the degree that the seat was effectively swinging from side to side.

Figure 01 shows the screws in question, on the left the correct combination, on the right the incorrect combination with the cylinder not having anything to grip onto: 

On removing these screws I was shocked to hear the cylinder bolt and locking plate drop into the toilet cavity (not water) figure 02:

And even more distressed to discover there was no access to them at the back of the toilet, through the holes they had fallen figure03:

Figures 04 and 05 in more detail, they were now effectively lost:

So how would you propose to rescue them?
First solution figure 06:

Successfully securing the plate, but not the bolt as it was not magnetic.
Second solution vacuum figure 07:

The cover plates figure 08 were nearly impossible to remove, the gap in the cover plate at what hour should it be installed, so others know where to look?

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

Use something long and thin as a probe with something extra sticky  applied on the end (chewing gum-like), then probe around and 'stick it' good. 

As an aside, I don't like the 'multi-adapter' fittings that come with most generic commode seats because they refuse to stay in the desired position. I end up making them 'fixed' position by adding more plastic blocking. 

Just go buy a new toilet seat.  Buy one with the proper plastic bolts and nuts.  Anything attached with metal bolts in that wet environment won't last very long anyway and you will be posting asking how to remove the old one with rusted permanently attached hardware.  They are only a couple of hundred baht.

You could always use the old one as a mirror frame and mount it on the wall!

55 minutes ago, Classic Ray said:

Magnet taped to a piece of string or thin wire might work. Otherwise, take large hammer, smash the old toilet to pieces (wear eye protection), call plumber to replace, go to pub in the meanwhile!

better: do nothing,dont call plummer........

Go to the pub every time you want to have a leak.......( prostatisme is a joy !)  

I have to say, that this topic really made me laugh. I have to thank all the posters that added to the thread. I have kept all your user names, in case i need  a bog seat fitted in the future. But its highly unlikely, as i was a plumber in a much earlier life. But as i have not had the pleasure of carrying out that task yet, i have yet to see if the fitting does actually defy the realms of toilet seat  law.

Thanks anyway guys, you made my day.:clap2:

I feel your pain up2you2, but you just have to persevere.

It really is a nightmare when one creates the perfect lavatorial experience only to have it spoiled by a niggling little problem like yours.

It was a gruelling, uphill struggle to get mine just right, but, as you can see, it all paid off in the end:

shiyhloe.jpg.6d4e4ee2075a40f4560f2a5c3fcac3e6.jpg

Edited by Enoon

9 hours ago, Enoon said:

I feel your pain up2you2, but you just have to persevere.

It really is a nightmare when one creates the perfect lavatorial experience only to have it spoiled by a niggling little problem like yours.

It was a gruelling, uphill struggle to get mine just right, but, as you can see, it all paid off in the end:

shiyhloe.jpg.6d4e4ee2075a40f4560f2a5c3fcac3e6.jpg

That looks suspiciously similar to the crapper I had "an emergency dump" in  on the Bkk / Chonburi expressway. I was close to having an anal explosion and had to force my way past a similarity desperate Plod officer much to his annoyance. But I left it like I found it, just a little fuller!

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

On 6/20/2017 at 9:32 AM, sfokevin said:

You should have never let them talk you into replacing the old seat... :coffee1:

IMG_0014.JPG

I was going to suggest that he attached a piece of plywood on top of the old toilet bowl cut a round hole in it and bolt an other toilet bowl with a properly working seat on the plywood then construct a set of three stairs to reach second toilet bowl.

but I like the simplicity of your solution, Though I must say, I would have used much more duct tape,  Much more!

My sister had / has an expensive crappatorium in her spread but the seat somehow cracked 

whenever you sat down to create a toley ( number two) the crack would widen then as you stood up to do a post pony inspection it bit your butt. 

Quite uncomfortable!

Edited by The Dark Lord
Ran out of paper