VPN service Thailand

Felt 35

6 hours ago, Cynical Sailor said:

I use VPN Unlimited. Very good. Reasonable price. No hassle

VPN unlimited seems promising and also Pc magazine give them a good score. Do you know if its compatible with Windows defender and/or Malwarebytes as I use both as Internet security?

Thanks.

16 hours ago, RichCor said:

Highly suggest using the FORUM SEARCH feature (top right hand of any forum page)

This particular topic seems to be newly posted by someone every three days.

5115 threads, 421 threads just in the last six months.

you can always ignore such threads

18 hours ago, RichCor said:

Highly suggest using the FORUM SEARCH feature (top right hand of any forum page)

Got it......Btw, after some research I dont think I need it  or want it due to many similar reports as this one http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/06/virtual-private-networks_n_4731731.html

1 hour ago, Felt 35 said:

Got it......Btw, after some research I dont think I need it  or want it due to many similar reports as this one http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/06/virtual-private-networks_n_4731731.html

If you want THAT type of privacy then you need to look into TOR or TAILS.

But then you'll be very limited as to what you can do on the 'net ...as most everything worth doing requires Javascript, Java, Cookies, or allowing 'tagged' tracking files. Disabling these usually breaks the experience and usability of the site if it doesn't prevent access altogether.  

For a basic VPN, try the free VPN that is built into the Opera browser. It's not for everyone, and it does not allow torrenting, but for accessing blocked sites and surfing anonymously, it works well, plus it's free. 

• Like 1

Anyone have a recommendation for a vpn to access BBC iplayer? According to their site it blocks access when it thinks/ detects a vpn. Also if it is good as a general purpose vpn simply to gain access to sites rather than an anonymity aspect. Express vpn has been mentioned in a previous thread but think relating to Netflix rather than anything else.

I used to use Private VPN, but BBC got wise and it became a long and laborious process to find an unblcoked server.

Tried ExpressVPN for nearly a month - worked with BBC, but kept dropping my connection so I cancelled before free tiral was over.

Now on NordVPN and so far so good, malwarebytes and Glary Utilities, and on Android tablet and phone.  No conflicts or problems I am aware of so happy user (so far!!). As with Express VPN has a free tiral period, so you can try before you buy and see if it suits you and your needs.

PH

There are two questions here. You ask, which VPN is best for Thailand? The answer is the same as the answer to the question, which VPN is best overall? It depends in part on the level of security you demand; if you are looking simply to watch geo-locked programs online, the most highly rated on any number of comparison sites found via Google will do the job. If you are sharing nefarious content that is, shall we say, of questionable legality in one or more countries, then you may wish to narrow your search, but more secure VPNs can be found via Google easily enough - or resort to Tor or Tails.

On the question of iPlayer and the BBC's ECM system, it has become steadily more restrictive in recent months, to the extent that an ordinary VPN that spoofs your server's location will no longer suffice to give access, you will need the registered email of a UK TV licence payer to download content now, as well as aforesaid VPN.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2017 at 11:31 PM, RichCor said:

why don't you just not open a thread like this if it annoys you??

Public forums are for any topic duh!

When deciding on a vpn you need to think about whether or not you want an American based on or a European based vpn. Most of them dont keep log files on your surfing but if the U.S govt wants access then a vpn company will oblige if they are based in the States and forced into it. 

I use purevpn bc they are based in Germany. However, I dont recommend it because they have 2 annoying error messages that interupt the shutdown process of my computer. It winds me up 'do you want to log off purevpn blah'. 

I thus dont recommend pure VPN. 

2 hours ago, davidst01 said:

why don't you just not open a thread like this if it annoys you??

Public forums are for any topic duh!

I think your reading more into my post than is actually there.

ThaiVisa is a treasure chest of full of helpful information. Reading previous threads can provide someone with more actionable information than asking the question anew, especially if the topic is covered as often this one.  

But sometimes starting a new topic is needed as the original request needs to be refined or narrowed. As in this particular instance the user's original request "for Internet surfing and keep the user anonymous" was more a request for absolute anonymity, that most VPN providers can't guarantee.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Xobtsiwt said:

There are two questions here. You ask, which VPN is best for Thailand? The answer is the same as the answer to the question, which VPN is best overall? It depends in part on the level of security you demand; if you are looking simply to watch geo-locked programs online, the most highly rated on any number of comparison sites found via Google will do the job. If you are sharing nefarious content that is, shall we say, of questionable legality in one or more countries, then you may wish to narrow your search, but more secure VPNs can be found via Google easily enough - or resort to Tor or Tails.

On the question of iPlayer and the BBC's ECM system, it has become steadily more restrictive in recent months, to the extent that an ordinary VPN that spoofs your server's location will no longer suffice to give access, you will need the registered email of a UK TV licence payer to download content now, as well as aforesaid VPN.

Thanks that was very informative. Btw, I look for a VPN where in simpel terms others cant see where my IP come from just as its not my neighbours business which movie I choose to see at FC Cinema.

Thanks.:smile:

58 minutes ago, Felt 35 said:

Thanks that was very informative. Btw, I look for a VPN where in simpel terms others cant see where my IP come from just as its not my neighbours business which movie I choose to see at FC Cinema.

Thanks.:smile:

If that's all you need, as I said, just use a comparison site - you'll get a dozen different opinions here. My own criteria are simple - star rating, cost (yearly is most economical but buy one with a cancellation-within-thirty-days option), ease of installation and use, locations of servers - in that order.

7 hours ago, nchuckle said:

Anyone have a recommendation for a vpn to access BBC iplayer? According to their site it blocks access when it thinks/ detects a vpn. Also if it is good as a general purpose vpn simply to gain access to sites rather than an anonymity aspect. Express vpn has been mentioned in a previous thread but think relating to Netflix rather than anything else.

I use 'TV when away' (£40/ ann, next year £50). Had the same problem and solved it by registering with BBC, a request that kept popping up on screen (using a UK family address where they have a tv licence), and downloading the iplayer and news apps.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Xobtsiwt said:

If that's all you need, as I said, just use a comparison site - you'll get a dozen different opinions here. My own criteria are simple - star rating, cost (yearly is most economical but buy one with a cancellation-within-thirty-days option), ease of installation and use, locations of servers - in that order.

:blush:hmm....I.... well sure dumb question but what do I need except downloading on of the VPN providers to my computer and when Im located in Thailand but are 50/50 on webpages here and in the West, using Internetbanking here and there, read and sometimes post on forums both here and there where do I choose server........:unsure:

A post has been removed:

4) You will not not discuss methods of bypassing blocking of websites, or circumventing any censorship of the internet or other communications by lawful authorities.

I'm now a free trial with one of many VPN providers and start thinking that I do not really need this because I'm browsing and reading more than I post and never really post anything that's offensive or have a reason to be anonymous for. When that`s said I can absolutely see the benefits with differents IP in some situations and of course when anonymity is important.

I also use two of the best internet security programs available and with VPN in addition Im soon using more time for checking and updating security programs than computer utilization.:sleep: Besides so far VPN clearly slow down the speed when browsing.

Felt.:smile:

On 20/06/2017 at 8:13 PM, RichCor said:

If you want THAT type of privacy then you need to look into TOR or TAILS.

But then you'll be very limited as to what you can do on the 'net ...as most everything worth doing requires Javascript, Java, Cookies, or allowing 'tagged' tracking files. Disabling these usually breaks the experience and usability of the site if it doesn't prevent access altogether.  

From what I've read recently, it seems that access using tor has not been working for the past few days? I don't know if that's peculiar to this neck of the woods, of if it's perhaps a more global issue?

• 1 year later...

I would definitely go for new VPN provider. I used Surfshark during my trip in Thailand. I had no problems watching Netflix or browsing through EU websites. If someone is having a trip soon, you can use this code:  SURF24 (it should work as I found in the forum). 

Edited by Beford

On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 7:33 PM, sarahjo said:

As for a recommendation of which VPN to use, I would recommend anyone going to Thailand and need to use a VPN to go for a Nord VPN subscription as it is the fastest VPN service available to use in present time compared to many other VPN services available to choose from. 

Also, you can get it cheap, they are currently offering a 3-year subscription deal at $2.7/ month. So that is quite a good bargain. I have traveled to Thailand, Malaysia, and Dubai so far using NordVPN all time. Not only does it allow to access blocked content online but also keeps you safe and secure while using public wifi and doing banking transactions. 

Is it good when you live here permanently and not for a few weeks/months and are not overly happy with a VPN which slow down the Internet speed to much?

Thanks

Felt