Woman fell 'too close to train' for driver to stop in time, says Airport Rail Link operator

snoop1130

Woman fell 'too close to train' for driver to stop in time, says Airport Rail Link operator

By The Nation

8c98b1968e500e43fd5cf9f881dcc8cc-sld.jpeg

The acting managing director of SRT Electrified Train Co said the woman who was crushed to death at the Airport Rail Link’s Bang Thap Chang station on Monday had fallen onto the track too close to an oncoming train for the driver to stop in time.

Wisut Chanmanee said the woman, who was later identified as Rosarin Plianlar, 31, appeared to have fallen onto the rails just 50 metres ahead of the arriving train.

The driver pressed the emergency brake button, but did not have the required distance to stop the train in time, as the system required a distance of 100m for a train to be brought to a halt in an emergency, he added.

The woman, whom the authorities said was six-months pregnant, was a resident of Nan province.

Wisut said the State Railway of Thailand was prepared to help the family of the deceased with the funeral costs, but would have to investigate whether what had happened was an accident or a suicide. 

It if was an accident, Rosarin’s family would be entitled to compensation of Bt400,000, he explained.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30318493

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-6-19

5 minutes ago, samsensam said:

if you watch the video she is on the racks for almost a minute before the train arrives, there are loads of people on the platform but all they do is stand and stare, no one does anything to help her or stop the train.

link to video?

if you watch the video she is on the racks for almost a minute before the train arrives, there are loads of people on the platform but all they do is stand and stare, no one does anything to help her or stop the train.

Presumably she was electrocuted instantly? It does seem strange how she doesn't move at all after falling, and it's nearly a minute before the train hits her. Very disturbing and very gory photos of the aftermath. Sad.

14 minutes ago, samsensam said:

did not see the video, but I take your word for it....it would have been a bit foolish I confess to jump on the track if there was electricity all within....a more sensible move could have been to alert the station staff, perhaps press on an emergency alarm if nearby....but then we are all much more aware after such any such tragic incident...

RIP....very sad issue...

33 minutes ago, samsensam said:

17 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

did not see the video, but I take your word for it....it would have been a bit foolish I confess to jump on the track if there was electricity all within....a more sensible move could have been to alert the station staff, perhaps press on an emergency alarm if nearby....but then we are all much more aware after such any such tragic incident...

RIP....very sad issue...

Don't believe what the other guy said.  I've seen the video and looked at the CCTV time stamp.  It took about 15 seconds between her fall and the train arrival; and some people were waving their arms at the train before it arrived at the station.  I would like to have seen samsensam jump down in that time and try to be a hero instead of keyboard warrior spreading inaccurate information.

Edited by HidyHo

2 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

The ARL doesn't have them on most stations.

hes right !

there are no safety gates at the swampy station but the guards get their whistles out

quickly if anyone goes near the yellow line :)

dave2

bts phaya thai swampy airport link station 3 dec 15 20151204_105123.jpg

3 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

and it's nearly a minute before the train hits her.

Don't be fooled that the video is in slow motion.

The time scale of the video is irrelevant.

The inserted time display of the CCTV should be at least good enough for time span measurements.

At about 6:52:45 she walks forward and actively jumps from the curb and tries to cling to the rail or something else.

It's not a fall over the curb, it's a jump.

She clings to the rail (not certain).

Her head is lying on the rail.

At 6:52:58 she is overrun by the train.

About 13 seconds which might have been enough to avoid the overrun if there are emergency brake handles on the platform. Are there?

This was suicide and not an accident.

It's consistent with the statements of witnesses.

No gory things on youtube of course:

https://youtu.be/sVlMQkATrLs

Gory pictures elsewhere (cut off arm e.g.).

The inserted time display of the CCTV should be at least good enough for time span measurements.

At about 6:52:45 she walks forward and actively jumps from the curb and tries to cling to the rail or something else.

About 13 seconds which might have been enough to avoid the overrun if there are emergency brake handles on the platform. Are there?

Thanks for the clarification. I hadn't realised it was slow motion. Poor woman and poor train driver and those that had to witness it.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

25 minutes ago, dave2 said:

hes right !

there are no safety gates at the swampy station but the guards get their whistles out

quickly if anyone goes near the yellow line :)

dave2

bts phaya thai swampy airport link station 3 dec 15 20151204_105123.jpg

That photo above is not of the Swampy station, which is underground and enclosed.

But the info is correct, the ARL doesn't generally have passenger barrier gates at its stations. You're free to flop onto the tracks if you want to.

2 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

The MRT has them and the central BTS stations have them, but not the outlying ones. The ARL doesn't have them on most stations.

Not all the central BTS stations have them as yet. For instance, Nana does not, and I think Ploenchit doesn't either. But Asoke and Siam do. BTS appear to have started with the busier, more heavily used stations first.

4 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

But the info is correct, the ARL doesn't generally have passenger barrier gates at its stations. You're free to flop onto the tracks if you want to.

As in so many cities worldwide.

Trains and subways have a terrible "fascination" for suicidal people.

And even worse: mentally insane  push people into the track bed.

Happened more than once in my last city.

Fire brigade had selected mentally stable/hardened officers for collection of body parts.

I always pushed my back to the wall before the train came in.

9 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

The MRT has them and the central BTS stations have them, but not the outlying ones. The ARL doesn't have them on most stations.

The new purple line also has them, if you drive on the bridge you can even see them in the station above the river. That station leads to the riverboats i assume but i have never seen any person there so far.

What annoys me is that we can see a woman going under a train (ok the final part is pixelated) and her arm separated from her body but we can't allow a teenager to be viewed wearing shorts and dancing. Something is seriously wrong here.

Poor woman must have been desperate.
Have to feel sympathy for the train driver and the onlookers too. They could not possibly have saved her, but many will be feeling terrible that they couldn't.

According to her husband and colleagues she had been regularly fainting. Suggestions of suicide seem speculative.

15 hours ago, samsensam said:

The video is in slow motion. It's was only a distance of about 50m over ~15 seconds between when she fell and was hit by the train.

I have seen the Thai news that say she walked toward the track and fainted and fell onto the tracks.

I am not sure by watching the video to say she deliberately jumped.  At least with the Thai news

the story is one to save face. Accident or not, RIP to this poor woman.

Geezer

imo it doesnt matter if it was suicide or not!,  anyone with a fuckin once of common sense should realize the possibility of someone falling onto the tracks and dying is a possibility without the gates... IE the fact that there are no gates the sky link is responsible for what happened period!

Pregnant women tend to get faint and nauseous causing balancing issues, especially during mornings. From the video, it looks as if she felt faint and lost her balance, stumbled forward and fell.
Very sad accident.

RIP.

Definitely looks like a suicide.

Her movement is consistent with somebody walking / moving voluntarily forward, mostly in control of their body

and subsequently, leaping off the platform and onto the tracks.

Don't think she was pushed nor did she faint..

Maybe she was up to her neck in debt with loan sharks

Maybe a Somchai squirted inside her belly and then did a runner

Maybe she caught her Somchai with his mia-noi's legs wrapped around him

Maybe her Somchai was a drunken wife-beater and she couldn't take it anymore

Maybe she invested in a pyramid scheme and lost everything

An investigation needs to happen around her personal & financial circumstances.

Investigating the state of the Airport Rail Link is less relevant at this point.

36 minutes ago, sstuff3 said:

Pregnant women tend to get faint and nauseous causing balancing issues, especially during mornings. From the video, it looks as if she felt faint and lost her balance, stumbled forward and fell.

Usually when people are about to faint, the muscles relax and/or lose control.

When this happens, the knees are unable to support upper body weight and buckle.

At this point, your knees bend, and invariably you will crumple to the ground or fall backwards.

Falling forward is less likely, since the knees bend forwards, not backwards.

There are other factors such as weight distribution, location of vital body organs that contribute to this.

Even talking into consideration the fact that her center of gravity would be slightly forward due to a bulging belly,

I'm not convinced she had enough forward momentum purely from a stumble to enable her to 'leap' onto the tracks.

After reading today's news that want to declare it as an accident:

1) I again watched the video and nothing changes in my conclusion.

That was not fainted/stumbled over the curb.

It was like a "dive" trying to fall as far into the track bed as possible.

2) There might be good reason to deny/censor the reality.

First to avoid "attracting" other suicidal persons to do similar.

Such events are never published in such detail - if at all - in Germany e.g. You would only hear in traffic radio that there is a police operation at a station.

Second is that the family would receive a high compensation if it is declared an "accident".

If it serves that purpose then it be granted to them.

Look into the family history. Pregnant - possibly left by the father and not knowing what to do? Nobody in Nan knew about it - family pressure and face? Questions, questions, questions. Quite obviously, by what is reported, it seems to be a suicide.

Apart from the deceased's family I feel very sorry for the train driver; who had absolutely nothing to do but was aware of what happened - when it happened - and this will haunt him/her for the rest of his/her life. Truly sorry for this too.