Video: "Please step out of the vehicle" - "But what is the charge, officer?"

webfact

On 6/21/2017 at 6:58 PM, fxe1200 said:

Actually one has to use the outside lane anyhow: for overtaking, avoiding to get stuck behind double parking vehicles, preparing for a right or U-turn. When moving straight, the road is clear and nobody else to overtake, one will proceed in the left lane anyway.

Which  goes  nowhere at  all to explain  why I  routinely  pass ( illegally) slow  moving   relic vehicles, over loaded  trucks, etc etc,  by use  of the   left  hand  slow  lane which is  invariably  empty.!

On 6/21/2017 at 3:56 PM, Sigma6 said:

Ive been stopped by the police 3 times in 8 years. 

The benefits of having your own car far outweigh having to talk to a policeman once every 3 years 

busses/vans/trains? I'll pass thanks

I get stopped at least once a week, I go through four or five police blocks whenever I go to town up here in the boonies

9 hours ago, Grubster said:

I get stopped at least once a week, I go through four or five police blocks whenever I go to town up here in the boonies

Well that would be annoying. You'd think they'd know you by now....

car or bike?

On 6/21/2017 at 8:31 AM, rkidlad said:

The great thing about never driving in Thailand (apart from the obvious) is that I don't have to deal with these buffoons. My friend drives a lot and seems to often have run-ins with them. I've never uttered a word to a policeman and never had him utter a word to me. It's fantastic. 

Unless drinking I drive everywhere myself in Thailand. Which means in the evenings either my Wife drives or I'll take a taxi. 

I've never been asked to 'step out the vehicle' when driving myself. In fact when driving myself I hardly ever get stopped by the BiB (I think the last time was about 4-5 years ago).

However, as a passenger the Taxi I've been in has been stopped three times by the BiB - On two of those occasions I was asked to get out of the taxi... 'for a word'... both times I refused. One of those times in a sub soi between Ekammai and Thonglor the BiB just rode off after I'd said no... The other time I was on my way out, the taxi had stopped at the lights at Asoke Junction the BiB we more insistent and I had to 'phone a friend' to get them off my back (they were just being a pain in the backside, probably wanted to pish test me etc... I couldn't be bothered with the unnecessary hassle & they had no cause, I was simply sat in a taxi !).

Thus: With 'some' of these chancing scum, it doesn't matter if you are driving or not - If they choose you as a mark, whether you are Thai or Western, driving, a passenger or walking they can become a pain in the backside.... its best to have a 'friend' to help deal with these despicable creatures. 

9 hours ago, Sigma6 said:

Well that would be annoying. You'd think they'd know you by now....

car or bike?

My pickup truck, I really don't mind as I just show them my license and move on, there are five different places they stop people between my house and Sakon Nakhon and I have been stopped at three of them in the same day before. Its only 40 KM. I have never been stopped going the other way 60 KM to Nakhon Phanom.

Ive been stopped by the police 3 times in 8 years. 

The benefits of having your own car far outweigh having to talk to a policeman once every 3 years 

busses/vans/trains? I'll pass thanks

I don't know where you live, but I'd never own or drive a car in Bangkok. I don't see any benefit to this whatsoever even if I got the brand new accord for free.

39 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

I don't know where you live, but I'd never own or drive a car in Bangkok. I don't see any benefit to this whatsoever even if I got the brand new accord for free.

The benefit it add for me is freedom. Spur of the moment trip away? its easy. Shopping is easier. It adds another level of independence. 

Outside of rush hours bkk isnt that bad, but dont get me wrong, if im heading somewhere on the bts/mrt route ill take it. Depends on where and what im doing, but having the choice is worth it in my mind.