Marriage extension - review period

There's a possibility that I may apply for a marriage extension instead of retirement extension later this year. I understand that after the documents are submitted at immigration, they will issue a 1 month extension to your visa whilst they review/approve the application. My current visa has a multiple entry permit and my question is: will I be able to travel in/out of Thailand during this 1 month extension period while they are reviewing, etc.?

Thanks,

You are given a under consideration stamp with a report back date 30 days from the date you apply for the extension or from the date your current permit to stay ends dependent up where you apply.

If you want to travel during the under consideration period you would need to get a new re-entry permit to keep it valid.

Do keep in mind that the re-entry permit you get while being under review is valid from the day you get it until the end of the review period (30 days after you handed your visa application in).

That means you have to be back in Thailand at the end of your review period or your current visa is gone and therefor your approved extension void (thats how i understand it).

19 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

Do keep in mind that the re-entry permit you get while being under review is valid from the day you get it until the end of the review period (30 days after you handed your visa application in).

When the 30 day under consideration report back date starts depends upon where you apply. Many offices start it from the date the your current permit to stay ends.

• Like 1

hi,

I am going to apply for the non - immigration visa 0, from Sydney - Australia

I need some advise please, which better a single entry or multiple entry visa? what the documents needed, what should I do when I get the visa? when I have to immigration in Thailand ( I am staying in Bangkok), what the fund requirements? when I have to produce evidence for the money? is it still 400K?

please provide some advise

I am married for 18 years, planning to stay in Bangkok for some time, age 48 years old

many thanks for your kind assistance

23 minutes ago, EVAN said:

hi,

I am going to apply for the non - immigration visa 0, from Sydney - Australia

I need some advise please, which better a single entry or multiple entry visa? what the documents needed, what should I do when I get the visa? when I have to immigration in Thailand ( I am staying in Bangkok), what the fund requirements? when I have to produce evidence for the money? is it still 400K?

please provide some advise

I am married for 18 years, planning to stay in Bangkok for some time, age 48 years old

If you can qualify for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage a single entry non-o visa would be all you would need. You would need 400k baht in a Thai bank in your name only for 2 months or proof of 40k baht income.

If not then a multiple entry non-o visa that would allow unlimited 90 day entries for one year from the date of issue would be good. You have to leave the country every 90 days to get a new entry.

When the 30 day under consideration report back date starts depends upon where you apply. Many offices start it from the date the your current permit to stay ends.

Agree, you describe it better.
All i wanted to say is you will need to be in the country shortly which requires planning and can't go on a long holiday easily around that period.

4 minutes ago, EVAN said:

thank you for the reply,

when I need to deposit the 400K  for the non immigration 0 , when I apply at the Thai consulate or when I am in Thailand?

The 400k baht in the bank is not required to get the non-o visa.

You only need in the bank for 2 months when you apply for the extension.

Perhaps Joe could explain why marriage extensions are not approved at the time of application as are retirement extensions

Is it because they check that the applicant is married and living at the address stated

Someone mentioned to me that they are sent to Bangkok for approval

Just now, StevieAus said:

Perhaps Joe could explain why marriage extensions are not approved at the time of application as are retirement extensions

Is it because they check that the applicant is married and living at the address stated

Someone mentioned to me that they are sent to Bangkok for approval

Extensions based upon marriage have to be approved by the division headquarters for the region where you apply is the reason for the 30 day under consideration period.

Only those in the central region are sent to division 3 in Bangkok.

For the first extension part of approval process it a home visa at most offices. Some offices want witnesses instead of doing the home visit.

22 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Extensions based upon marriage have to be approved by the division headquarters for the region where you apply is the reason for the 30 day under consideration period.

For the first extension part of approval process it a home visa at most offices. Some offices want witnesses instead of doing the home visit.

Thanks Joe for the information I have never applied for one myself but a number of friends have them

I was curious about the process.

can the 400K will be a mix of saving in a thai bank and from investment property ?

as I have income from my investment in Australia but will be a bit short of 40K a month, can make the 400K from two sources ( saving account +investment property - monthly income)

thanks

evan

2 minutes ago, EVAN said:

can the 400K will be a mix of saving in a thai bank and from investment property ?

as I have income from my investment in Australia but will be a bit short of 40K a month, can make the 400K from two sources ( saving account +investment property - monthly income)

thanks

evan

A combination of money in the bank and income is not allowed for an extension based upon marriage.

It is 400k baht in a Thai bank or 40k baht average monthly income (480K baht annual).

• Like 1

On 6/22/2017 at 5:08 PM, ubonjoe said:

And some offices want witnesses and a home visit on the second extension application where there are no dependent children.

4 minutes ago, ozgolfguy said:

Further to my initial query, is it still require to maintain the minimum THB 400K balance during the consideration period? Or is the two months leading up to the application date sufficient? Thanks

You can take some out for normal living expenses. Best not to empty the account. There have been reports of immigration checking to see if the money was still there as part of the approval process.

Well, joy of joys, will I get a 30 day period of grace from the date of applying for my extension of marriage visa?  I've covered all the squares except the necessary hard copy photos. I fear being knocked back and sent on  more fool's errands.

The question this time is...once my application is under consideration can I start spending the B400k or must that stay in the bank until the final decision is made?  

7 minutes ago, nanglong218 said:

Well, joy of joys, will I get a 30 day period of grace from the date of applying for my extension of marriage visa?  I've covered all the squares except the necessary hard copy photos. I fear being knocked back and sent on  more fool's errands.

The question this time is...once my application is under consideration can I start spending the B400k or must that stay in the bank until the final decision is made?  

Same answer I posted before.

23 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You can take some out for normal living expenses. Best not to empty the account. There have been reports of immigration checking to see if the money was still there as part of the approval process.

Hi Joe,

is it possible to change the multiple entry visa ( non immigration O) to single entry later on?

the purpose of this change in relation to the 400K that will be available in my account later, as you know with the multiple entry I have to exit every 90 days

do I need to go back to Sydney when I change my multiple entry visa to single entry ?

can you please let me know what the process?

evan

20 minutes ago, EVAN said:

is it possible to change the multiple entry visa ( non immigration O) to single entry later on?

the purpose of this change in relation to the 400K that will be available in my account later, as you know with the multiple entry I have to exit every 90 days

There is no change needed to apply for an extension of stay based upon marriage. You can apply for the extension during the last 30 days of any the 90 day entries from your visa.

You will need the 400k bath to be in a Thai bank in your name only for 2 months on the date you apply for the extension or proof of 40k baht income.

• 2 weeks later...

hi joe thanks for your reply, as I am in Bangkok now , holder of multiple entry non immigration o , do I need to exit the country every 90 days and back to get the extension or can I extend it at the immigration office?

Just now, EVAN said:

hi joe thanks for your reply, as I am in Bangkok now , holder of multiple entry non immigration o , do I need to exit the country every 90 days and back to get the extension or can I extend it at the immigration office?

Depends what you mean - If you are wanting another 90 days (which is not an extension) your only option is to leave, and reenter for a new 90 day permission to stay. 

If you want an extension of stay follow the advice in post #25

Visa under consideration from Hat Yai.

I applied for my O visa based on marriage at Phuket immigration on May 10th 2017 well over months now and still waiting for approval from Hat Yai. This is the eighth year I’ve applied for my visa and have previously only had to wait less than a month for approval, has anybody else had this long wait before as it seems a bit strange.

Edited by ubonjoe
Changed to default font, Forum Netiquette 1. Please do not post in all capital letters, bold, unusual fonts, sizes or colors. It can be difficult to read.

15 minutes ago, tirekicker said:

Visa under consideration from Hat Yai.

I applied for my O visa based on marriage at Phuket immigration on May 10th 2017 well over months now and still waiting for approval from Hat Yai. This is the eighth year I’ve applied for my visa and have previously only had to wait less than a month for approval, has anybody else had this long wait before as it seems a bit strange.

If you are waiting for a VISA it will take a very long time to arrive !  Presumably you have applied to renew an extension of stay? 

11 minutes ago, perthperson said:

If you are waiting for a VISA it will take a very long time to arrive !  Presumably you have applied to renew an extension of stay? 

As mentioned I've applied for an "O" visa based on marriage as I have done for the last eight years and which was previously approved in less than a month. My situation has not changed and all the paperwork was in order otherwise it would have been rejected at the first stage prior to send to Hat Yai.

Just a bit concerned about the long wait unlike previous years.