Good wood primer recommendation

dcnx

I'm not familiar with the local brands and need a gopd primer to prep a few pieces of plywood. Looking for something that will be good enough to hide any grain with a coat or two.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!

Head to one of the "Home" places.  The sales staff will steer you to one brand or another with a "promotion" - doesn't really matter.  If they don't look at TOA.  If you go with the premium primer and color you should be good.

I am using Jotun Jotaguard 82. It comes in grey, brown and black.

Not really a primer but pretty good for preserving wood. And protects against anything that grows.

I use it on ply, softwood and hardwood.

6 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

I am using Jotun Jotaguard 82. It comes in grey, brown and black.

Not really a primer but pretty good for preserving wood. And protects against anything that grows.

I use it on ply, softwood and hardwood.

Thanks. Have problems with mold and ply here?

6 hours ago, bankruatsteve said:

Head to one of the "Home" places.  The sales staff will steer you to one brand or another with a "promotion" - doesn't really matter.  If they don't look at TOA.  If you go with the premium primer and color you should be good.

Thanks

About 4 years ago, I cut some plywood to make a "table top" for my gas grill.  The top covers a concrete "box" for that purpose.  Anyway... I used left over primer and color from the house to paint the plywood (1 primer, 2 coats of color - this was premium grade).  Except for some stains from BBQing the top still looks good even though it catches rain as it is partially unprotected.  The bottom has some damage from ants and mold but it wouldn't take much of a sand and re-paint to fix up (except I won't bother).  

This just to say that using premium grade paint will give long time protection for just about any surface.

1 hour ago, dcnx said:

Thanks. Have problems with mold and ply here?

Yes!

I have problems with mold and everything.

I have tried many different paints in LoS. This Jotun Jotaguard 82 is the only paint I am pleased with.

I use it as primer and I use it as top coat.

On 6/22/2017 at 2:30 PM, bankruatsteve said:

About 4 years ago, I cut some plywood to make a "table top" for my gas grill.  The top covers a concrete "box" for that purpose.  Anyway... I used left over primer and color from the house to paint the plywood (1 primer, 2 coats of color - this was premium grade).  Except for some stains from BBQing the top still looks good even though it catches rain as it is partially unprotected.  The bottom has some damage from ants and mold but it wouldn't take much of a sand and re-paint to fix up (except I won't bother).  

This just to say that using premium grade paint will give long time protection for just about any surface.

Thanks

On 6/22/2017 at 3:35 PM, melvinmelvin said:

Yes!

I have problems with mold and everything.

I have tried many different paints in LoS. This Jotun Jotaguard 82 is the only paint I am pleased with.

I use it as primer and I use it as top coat.

Thanks, I'll look into that one.

We generally don't have issues here with indoor mold in Chiang Mai (aircon is used often), but I'd rather prep it for a worst case scenario.