Cooperation urged to make Thailand a hub for seniors market in Asean

webfact

Cooperation urged to make Thailand a hub for seniors market in Asean
By KWANCHAI RUNGFAPAISARN
THE NATION

97ad2441cd7402f26a5a798257d13cf4.jpeg

BANGKOK: -- TO HELP set the government’s “Thailand 4.0” economic model in motion, the public and private sectors should work hand in hand to position the country as a hub of Asean’s growing seniors market, said Butsaya Prakorbthong, general manager of NCC Exhibition Organiser Co.

“The major capability of Thailand is services, which have been accepted as world-class. And since Thailand has several beautiful attractions that are the dream destinations of many retirees, its seniors market tends to grow increasingly,” she said. 

“So the public sector should promote and standardise services to be more efficient and encourage the holding of trade fairs and exhibitions as venues for business negotiations to improve Thailand as the hub of Asean’s seniors market.” 

Since the government issued the policy to upgrade the nation to “Thailand 4.0”, many government agencies have followed up with policies and measures to support technological and innovative development, which it is hoped will enhance the competitiveness of the economy.

Although the medical and health industry is classified as a new target, Thailand has long been delivering medical services and now is trusted by foreigners who come to stay in hospitals and health centres for rehabilitation. 

This tendency seems to be increasing every year. The government since the end of last year has shown clear signs of encouraging this trend through the policy of promoting a complete medical industry.

The policy was launched by the Board of Investment to incentivise both the Thai and foreign private sectors to invest in or provide medical services in all fields.

With the explosive growth of the senior market, the competition in this market is also higher. 

Entrepreneurs should develop their products and services to respond to the demands of seniors by studying their requirements and developing products, such as personal utensils, drinking water, toothpaste, soap and shoes, to meet their needs, Butsaya said.

Thailand is an ageing society, as it is forecast that in six years seniors will make up 25 per cent of the population, up from 10 per cent of 66 million people today.

“The effect of this change will not only be to increase some welfare and benefits or extend the retirement age from 60 years to 65, but relevant businesses should also be developed,” she said. 

NCC Exhibition Organiser is entering the senior-services market by hosting “InterCare Asia”, aimed at attracting local and foreign manufacturers and distributors of innovative products.

The trade fair expects to welcome at least 5,000 participants and provide for the circulation of at least Bt600 million over its three-day run from July 6-8 at the Bangkok International Trade and Exhibition Centre (Bitec) in Bang Na district.

This trade fair will display devices, utensils and other products related to seniors as well as some technology products and services to respond to the demands of this segment. 

The exhibition space will be divided into five zones. 

The home-care zone will showcase devices and tools for giving care to seniors and disabled persons, such as wheelchairs and wristbands. 

The rehabilitation zone will display devices and tools for supporting and protecting seniors, such as robotic assistants, orthopaedic centres and hearing aids.

The medical tourism and related services zone will feature spas and fitness and Thai massage facilities. 

The services zone will introduce some products for the care and support of elderly and disabled people such as nursing homes, wheelchair-accessible vehicles and hospitals. 

The nutritional zone will offer both Thai and Chinese herbal products and supplements.

Besides underscoring the Thailand 4.0 stage of development, the trade fair will endorse the five basic industries to be developed along with new innovations – automobiles, electronics, processed food, tourism and biotechnology, Butsaya said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/business/EconomyAndTourism/30318737

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-06-22

Come and join us at 50 on a 10 year visa that is valid for 5 years and maybe another 5 years. Bring loads of money to give to our banks. O sorry your need one of our heath insurances that may pay up or not pay up, but then as you hit 65 we cannot cover you for health insurance as your too old, so you will have to sod off Next person Please.

Its ok if you will be able to afford a wheelchair but try to manover the footpaths that have trees planted in them and taking up most the footpath , potholes and pavers that have sunk where you would need a recovery vehicle and wheelchair access to Government buildings where you have to mount the kerb to get access then at the top of the ramp they have steps ! Thailand has a long way to go to be anything like wheelchair or to that matter geriatric friendly ! ( the busses in Bangkok expect people to get on and off while the vehicle is still in motion most the time )

35 minutes ago, tracker1 said:

Its ok if you will be able to afford a wheelchair but try to manover the footpaths that have trees planted in them and taking up most the footpath , potholes and pavers that have sunk where you would need a recovery vehicle and wheelchair access to Government buildings where you have to mount the kerb to get access then at the top of the ramp they have steps ! Thailand has a long way to go to be anything like wheelchair or to that matter geriatric friendly ! ( the busses in Bangkok expect people to get on and off while the vehicle is still in motion most the time )

You make a very good point about wheelchairs.

Being confined to a wheelchair/mobility scooter i know the problems involved. Almost impossible to get anywhere, footpaths a joke, either broken, full of big holes, or blocked by ignorant abled bodied people./

My wife is a school director, and recently she took me to the local education offices, built only last year.

They have fitted a disabled ramp for wheelchairs.:cheesy:

Absolutely impossible to use, it is approx 45 degrees, my wife was asked to push me up the ramp, she failed, 2 men struggled to push me up the ramp.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The services zone will introduce some products for the care and support of elderly and disabled people such as nursing homes, wheelchair-accessible vehicles and hospitals. 

Wakeupplease hit the nail on the head. I have a good income but not much put away for long term illness. I haven't been able to find health insurance that will cover me past 70 years of age because of a pre-existing condition, type 2 diabetes. I have accident insurance, which is adequate but without long term health insurance I could not qualify for the 10 year visa.

1 hour ago, tracker1 said:

What wheelchairs? Footpaths are for street food and motorcycles. You jolly well use the road.. 

This does kind of show the gap between reality and the Thai vision of itself. One side sees sweetness, roses and investment, while reality is that Thailand is still a very backward country. I know several people who have moved away because of concerns about health care, so to suggest people want to flock in for it, is naive.

First, Thailand had to BE the hub where immigration laws and rules are not

from the dark ages and full of paranoia and fears than an army of foreigners

stealing Thailand and buying all properties and land leaving nothing for the

Thai people... start with equal for all, easy to implement, follow and live with

laws and regulations and maybe this wish will come true....

Its just another really  bad idea . Like all the other well thought out bad ideas.

Sure private hospitals are good here. But thailand is the dream location for back packers and digital nomads and sex seekers not seniors in a wheel chair fot christ sake.

The main supermarket in Ban Chang Rayong... The disabled parking area is blocked off with storage. The footpath out the front of the mall was blocked with large pot plants, they have been removed because of complaints.

This is the most disgusting shopping mall  in all of Thailand.

Thailand has a very long way to go if they wish to attract disabled tourists.

Thailand might want to think about taking care if its own disabled population before trying to get disabled foreigners to come here.  The BTS still has not put in the required disabled access- in some stations thee is no escalators and the elevators don't work. The buses have no wheelchair access.  There are no wheelchair ramps anywhere .  The pavement is even difficult to walk on-let alone be able to use a wheelchair on. Any person I have seen in a wheelchair is using the roadway  to move forward. Nothing will chane until the Government pasess and enforces laws for the disabled.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The major capability of Thailand is services, which have been accepted as world-class. And since Thailand has several beautiful attractions that are the dream destinations of many retirees, its seniors market tends to grow increasingly,” she said. 

...what....!!!!!!:cheesy:

There are a few places that take care of seniors ,  one in CM  was on German TV ,  good care at decent price ( not Thai prices) but better than in Germany ,

I hate to see the hoops the owner had to jump thru to get it going ,

I think the Thai  working people would do a good job , 

but not the Thai "money" people who would find anyway possible to screw more money out of the seniors ,

Maybe Thailand needs t have a "Hub" contest and see if they have missed any hubs , it seems the only thing the people in power know how to push.......

I think the opportunity to build very nice retirement homes is real here, but as we all know Thais have a real problem with making floors the same level. I would love to design a retirement home here, it wouldn't have to be plush but it would be very Wheelchair/Electric buggy friendly, have lots of friendly staff,, a very large garden with pond and small bridges all wheelchair ready, nice rooms complete with western TV and fast internet, great western and local foods, day trips available for a fee, near a good international hospital, a great gym with therapists to help out.  All this for 80,000 baht per month or so. Then full insurance prorated by your age at entry date and types of things you do not want covered [ not everybody wants to fight cancer with chemo and radiation only to live miserable for a few more months or years etc. ].  The insurance would be additional and for inpatient only as small problems would be resolved for free at the home.     I think something like this could work very well here, but its not going to be for those with modest pensions and no personal wealth.

Look, there is no Thailand 4.0 because there is no strategy besides words and marketing.  And, Thailand is not going to be the hub of anything because there is no progress being made on anything, and the country thinks it doesn't need outside help when it's education system is bad and getting worse.  They don't have the expertise.  Someone tell these people to stop running their mouths, and do something substantial.  Stop talking and prove you are worth your words!

Edited by Redline

Meanwhile, it is time to renew my Retirement Visa Extension. Here for 6 years, this year...1600 baht fine. Say what? Well you need to report (TM30) you live in your owned condo. Hello? You already have my 90 Day Report of my address... Sorry, that will be 1600 baht because we have not asked for this from you previously...! And Thailand wants me to encourage other retirees to come???

14 hours ago, webfact said:

The government since the end of last year has shown clear signs of encouraging this trend through the policy of promoting a complete medical industry.

am sure requiring medical insurance will help this a lot:saai: