superal

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 3:06 AM, little mary sunshine said:

If you have always had brown hair a professional 

Coloring along with well trimmed hair does 

keep you looking younger.  It should be done by a

professional with different shades of brown and never

allow the white to appear.  Expensive to maintain but

worth the effort and cost.

And always blindingly obvious to everyone else, particularly if your hair is grey/white.

On 6/25/2017 at 11:16 PM, superal said:

My post was always intended to be a look at yourself cos sometimes we let ourselves slip with the way we wear our clothes and maybe become complacent . Along with that has to be the humorous side and many posters have reflected that .  As for the negative grumpy replies , come on guys , lighten up , look on the bright side of life as this was set up as a giggle . However there have been a couple of really important serious posts with regards to sun protection that need to be expanded on in a new post or category  ( should never be archived , keep in the moment of regular conversation ) . Quite poignant to me as a sun lover all of my life but it's caught up with me as I have facial skin cancer . You gotta cover up , wear hats , factor 50 sun cream etc .   

Complacent... Indeed... I used to think how I looked / dressed mattered. Perhaps it did at the time. 

Now that I am 10 years into marriage with a 4 year old child I've pretty much stopped caring and dress for comfort over anything else. 

For me this means: Cargo Shorts (Red, White or Beige) with a Uni-qlo V neck T-shirt: Thats pretty much all I've been wearing for a few years now...  along with either deck-shoes (sock-less) or mostly a decent pair of trainers.

I've worn the same on flights - its just more comfortable. 

In fact I went from Christmas to Summer only wearing trousers once (at the DLT). 

So I have become complacent, but don't think I look out of place and untidy even in BKK's upmarket shopping malls.

Much of 'it' depends where you go and who you are with, but things in BKK seem to have changed a great deal over the past 20 years and now it seems much easier to dress in an extremely casual manner. 

As far as covering up goes... Thats a very good point, a little tan looks healthy, but don't overdo it, a nice tilly hat and be worn outside with almost any attire !

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Complacent... Indeed... I used to think how I looked / dressed mattered. Perhaps it did at the time. 

Now that I am 10 years into marriage with a 4 year old child I've pretty much stopped caring and dress for comfort over anything else. 

For me this means: Cargo Shorts (Red, White or Beige) with a Uni-qlo V neck T-shirt: Thats pretty much all I've been wearing for a few years now...  along with either deck-shoes (sock-less) or mostly a decent pair of trainers.

I've worn the same on flights - its just more comfortable. 

In fact I went from Christmas to Summer only wearing trousers once (at the DLT). 

So I have become complacent, but don't think I look out of place and untidy even in BKK's upmarket shopping malls.

Much of 'it' depends where you go and who you are with, but things in BKK seem to have changed a great deal over the past 20 years and now it seems much easier to dress in an extremely casual manner. 

As far as covering up goes... Thats a very good point, a little tan looks healthy, but don't overdo it, a nice tilly hat and be worn outside with almost any attire !

Plus I think in daily life one should not give a shit what others think because others really don't.....

• Like 1

I wear smart chino shorts, not above the knee, not below the knee, polo shirts, occasionally a T shirt and always deck shoes.

Wouldn't be seen dead in sandals (esp. with socks - the preserve of the most senior TVF posters), flip flops, cargo shorts or trainers (unless going to the gym).

Would like to wear long pants/ jeans and underwear sometimes but far too hot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Japanese and Thai men seem to wear the same.

Have you never been to either country?

What are you talking about? Have you ever seen Thais dressed like the above? I don't see middle-aged Thai men wandering around everywhere with knee-length white socks and funny hats.

Thai  and Japanese guys generally try to make themselves look less touristy. Polo shirt, khaki shorts, sport shoes or flip-flops. Asian guys have styles highly distinct from old-man Farang styles.

I wear smart chino shorts, not above the knee, not below the knee, polo shirts, occasionally a T shirt and always deck shoes.

Wouldn't be seen dead in sandals (esp. with socks - the preserve of the most senior TVF posters), flip flops, cargo shorts or trainers (unless going to the gym).

And a sailor's cap at a jaunty angle to compliment the deck shoes.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

5 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

Whoever is trying to say shorts should only be worn on the beach is a seriously knobbly kneed chap and very likely a bit of a stinker.

It depends totally on the location tbh

Upmarket clubs in bkk probably wouldn't let you in wearing football shorts, flip flops and a wife beater.....

But if they did it would be entertaining to see the reactions... ?

21 hours ago, Spidey said:

Not trying to pee on your fire as I do similar dress accept that if I am outside in the evening  say at a bar I always wear long trousers to mitigate the mozi problem .  I am up in north east of  Issan not too far from the Cambodian border where dengy lurks .

When it comes to shirts I find the most comfortable ones are made from cotton but not too many around in the shops . Worse for me are the silky nylon ones that do not breathe but ok in the Thai 3 month winter .  

14 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

Whoever is trying to say shorts should only be worn on the beach is a seriously knobbly kneed chap and very likely a bit of a stinker.

& probably in my age group - older! ?

I lived in Bangkok throughout the eighties, nobody went out in shorts back then, it was not acceptable!

Times change and so do shorts ? 

Back in the eighties the style and types of shorts that were available were "limited" to say the least! Most wore cut off levi's, there was so little on the market place. 

Back in the seventies I lived in Malaysia and we used to wear sarongs around the house as they were "cool" , shorts would have been more practical but there were none to buy!        ?                     

It's not really that long since shorts have become both acceptable and available. ?

Edited by CGW
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, CGW said:

& probably in my age group - older! ?

I lived in Bangkok throughout the eighties, nobody went out in shorts back then, it was not acceptable!

Times change and so do shorts ? 

Back in the eighties the style and types of shorts that were available were "limited" to say the least! Most wore cut off levi's, there was so little on the market place. 

Back in the seventies I lived in Malaysia and we used to wear sarongs around the house as they were "cool" , shorts would have been more practical but there were none to buy!        ?                     

It's not really that long since shorts have become both acceptable and available. ?

On the subject of shorts , I have notices that German gentlemen often seem to wear very short shorts and that is the fashion in parts of Germany I suppose .  Must be or could be dodgy for some of us to wear ?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, superal said:

On the subject of shorts , I have notices that German gentlemen often seem to wear very short shorts and that is the fashion in parts of Germany I suppose .  Must be or could be dodgy for some of us to wear ?

Fashions change for some ? maybe they bought a lot back in the eighties when shorts were exactly that, remember getting some terribly sunburns legs wearing these ?

They looked a lot better on the female species ? 

men_shorts_seventies_eighties.jpg

Edited by CGW
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...