Cost of liver check up for hep B carrier

sidjameson

Friend of mine has had hep B since childhood. Not sure of exact details but I think recent blood test wasn't good and doctor advised her to have her liver checked. She's never had this done before and is worried about the cost.

Does anyone know how much this would cost? She is government worker if that makes a difference.

Also doctor advised she go for a liver detox. Good advice?

Doctor seemed to think she now needed treatment based on new blood test. But is that correct as apparently didn't say how the results had changed.

I don't have much faith in her government hospital. Just hoping for some light.

As said she should have more information as believe normal testing is by blood and there a handful of tests - do not believe any overly expensive and should be free for her I suspect.  How often has she had tests done as believe an abnormal reading would require another test or more to confirm.  

I assume you mean she has chronic hep B.

In which case she has already been tested for the Hep B antigen snd found positive for it.

The only other tests would be liver enzymes though hard to imsgine not already done -- this is a simple and inexpensive blood test.

Beyond that possibly an ultrasound, also simple and not very expenddve.

And boththe blood test and the ultrasound would be free at the hospital where she is registered. So hard to see why the worry about cost.

"liver detox" is pure quackery. Hard to believe a doctor suggested it. Maybe her own idea?

The main issue is whether she should take antiviral drugs and whether the govt civil service SS scheme will pay for it. Sounds like the doctor is saying she should.

As to what would have changed, could be either:

1. Previously had acute infection (or newly diagnosed as antigen positive) and now antigen positive status has persisted confirming chronicity.

Or

Liver enzymes have risen. As mentioned it would be odd for these not to already have heen tested.

Thank you so much for the replies.

Bit more info.

Doctor suggested she start taking antivirals. She's scared to because 2 members of family both died of liver cancer.

I think it's point 1 Sheryl. She has reasons to do with life insurance which makes her want to forget it for a year. If it is antigen positive after 30 years of dormant (if that's correct way of describing it) Is it incredibly foolish to do nothing about that for a year?

It would not turn antigen positive after a period of dormancy. When someone develops Hep B, they either clear the virus completely  or become a chronic carrier in which case they will always be antigen positive from that point forward.

However, the viral load can rise as can liver enzymes (a marker of liver damage).

If she has been advised that she needs to take antivirals and delays doing so she  increases her risk of liver cancer and cirrhosis. (and death).  She would not have been recommended to do this unless there were clear indications her condition was worsening, e.g. worsening liver enzymes.

I don;t understand how life insurance comes into it - either way she has the condition and it is already in her medical records. She does not become a greater risk by being treated, in fact the opposite.

BTW witholding information like this on a life insurance application can invalidate the policy. And the odds of the company figuring this out if she dies from it (or a related condition) are pretty high.