Cambodia, Thailand investigate arms smuggling

geovalin

Cambodia and Thailand are now working together to investigate weapons being smuggled from Cambodia to Myanmar via Thailand after a cache was recently confiscated by the Thai military in Thailand’s Trat province.  Speaking at the inauguration for the new provincial governor in border province Koh Kong on Friday, Interior Minister Sar Kheng said National Police Commissioner General Neth Savoeun was working with Thailand’s Police Commissioner General to investigate the issue in an effort to discover where the weapons came from and who was involved in the smuggling. 

He said Myanmar had not had unity or peace in many areas despite elections taking place in that country and there were still many rebel groups fighting with the government.  “So I believe that those groups are seeking the weapons in order to build more forces against the government,” he said. 

Early this month, Thai military officers arrested a Cambodian man and a Thai air force officer after discovering a large number of weapons in a pickup truck in Thailand’s Trat province. The discovery was only made after the pickup truck crashed on the Thai side of the border. Officers found 29 assault rifles, four machine guns, 53 grenades to be used with M-79 grenade launchers and more than 4,000 bullets in the pickup, which was being driven by the air force officer. 

read more http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/39623/cambodia--thailand-investigate-arms-smuggling/

khmer_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khmer Times 24/06

Been going on for decades, if the weapons were not for Burma, it's Sri Lanka, Malaysia, or Southern Thailand.............Cambodia has been an active proliferator of weapons, explosives, and whatnot from the Vietnam war era..............when I was in Cambodia in 95, I bought a new AKM, loaded magazines, and a license to carry it in my car from the local police station.