Patong - The Wake

Patong2

On 8/9/2020 at 10:41 AM, Agusts said:

No idea when they will allow some foreign tourists in, they don't even want to talk about it right now, having zero covid19 cases become a curse !!!? They don't want to spoil it...????

Well after TAT saying maybe not this year, last week, now CCSA are saying maybe starting trials next month.

Good news is TAT have been wrong every-time for last 5 months and CCSA and CAAT are the ones really in charge...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lashay said:

Well after TAT saying maybe not this year, last week, now CCSA are saying maybe starting trials next month.

Good news is TAT have been wrong every-time for last 5 months and CCSA and CAAT are the ones really in charge...

Well we can only hope that they are wrong again, although it seems as though one hand doesn't know what the other is doing, but since when has that been new news to anyone who lives here!

I've got friends in the UK, Canada and Australia who are just longing to get back here, but have just about abandoned all hope for at least the next six months, so I hope they are wrong.

Locally, it's pitiful seeing the queues of people, waiting in line for their food handout, and it's also pitiful to see more and more small businesses closing.

My favourite Italian restaurant had been hanging on, but was forced to close a few days ago because of lack of custom, that and the fact that his landlord, who had kindly reduced his rent by 50%, then wanted to put it back up to the full amount – – no go with just one or two customers a night.

That was a bit of a bummer because I was planning to go out tomorrow evening with a couple of friends and dine at that very restaurant, so I'm now looking at other places in which to eat, and enquiring at the Wine Connection, I was told that they closed at 8 PM, which doesn't give much leeway as regards eating, drinking and then going out to meander around an almost empty Bangla.

More shops have closed in Jungceylon and the shoppers in Big C seem to be dwindling as the days go on.

A friend of mine said just recently that some people were making big money out of this lockdown, but I can't see how this can be the case. Sure the wealthy folk may be out and about snapping up bargain properties in order to rent them out again, but I haven't seen much of that, nor of any "bargain properties".

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

That's sad Xylopphone

If it's any consolation we have no restaurants open here to eat at either.

Auckland has gone back to level 3 because there has been a total shambles at the border and now people are just p*** off and to a larger degree ignoring it. Few masks and not a lot of extreme social distancing, just sensible spacing.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2020 at 7:19 PM, xylophone said:

Well we can only hope that they are wrong again, although it seems as though one hand doesn't know what the other is doing, but since when has that been new news to anyone who lives here!

I've got friends in the UK, Canada and Australia who are just longing to get back here, but have just about abandoned all hope for at least the next six months, so I hope they are wrong.

Locally, it's pitiful seeing the queues of people, waiting in line for their food handout, and it's also pitiful to see more and more small businesses closing.

My favourite Italian restaurant had been hanging on, but was forced to close a few days ago because of lack of custom, that and the fact that his landlord, who had kindly reduced his rent by 50%, then wanted to put it back up to the full amount – – no go with just one or two customers a night.

That was a bit of a bummer because I was planning to go out tomorrow evening with a couple of friends and dine at that very restaurant, so I'm now looking at other places in which to eat, and enquiring at the Wine Connection, I was told that they closed at 8 PM, which doesn't give much leeway as regards eating, drinking and then going out to meander around an almost empty Bangla.

More shops have closed in Jungceylon and the shoppers in Big C seem to be dwindling as the days go on.

A friend of mine said just recently that some people were making big money out of this lockdown, but I can't see how this can be the case. Sure the wealthy folk may be out and about snapping up bargain properties in order to rent them out again, but I haven't seen much of that, nor of any "bargain properties".

Plenty of bargain properties around now

1 hour ago, sebastion said:

For sure, there was one I missed out on down in Rawaii. Just the land for 1.5 million baht...thats unbelievable.

Great time to invest in real estate now

It may well be for those with balls of steel and deep pockets... let us know how you get on ????????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HighPriority said:

It may well be for those with balls of steel and deep pockets... let us know how you get on ????????

Quote. "Great time to invest in real estate now".

But then again he would say that..............

• Like 1

9 hours ago, xylophone said:

I actually think that it is a great time to lowball people wanting to get out. Phuket should recover in about 5 years. However I think that Patong, Nai Harn, Bang Tao area will still be very very overpriced. You are best off investing in Phuket Town, Chalong, some parts of Rawaii for houses. Kata and Karon for commercial properties is really good value now. 

On 6/25/2017 at 6:56 PM, jenifer d said:

Patong is now soulless and overrun with new development, but the tourist numbers, even in the middle of December,

were demonstrably down- i was quite saddened, Patong is dying, and i'm not sure if it can be rescued... 

Perhaps it would have died anyway, if it was soulless. Tourists want more from a holiday than a sterile environment. IMO Thais lost their way when the western tourists flooded in and wanted a reason to up the prices, ergo the new development.

However, if they destroy the reason why a place is popular why would western customers still go there?

Hence, IMO, the push to the Chinese mass tourism- they, apparently, think anywhere out of China is great, no matter how devoid of sanuk. Quantity over quality became the message.

Now, that sound of nothing going on is chickens going home to roost.

Had they tried to attract the western retirement community they'd probably still be going gangbusters.

• Like 2

there 2 bars in Kamala that have customers from 9 am -......

late afternoon a dozen or so guys siting there drinking everyday, night time,...no idea as i dont venture out

the other 8 or so, (except Divers)  are lucky to get 8 customers/day

3 bars/restaurants on the beach do a good business with 60 baht happy hour beers from 5 pm

Edited by zzzzz
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, zzzzz said:

there 2 bars in Kamala that have customers from 9 am -......

late afternoon a dozen or so guys siting there drinking everyday, night time,...no idea as i dont venture out

the other 8 or so, (except Divers)  are lucky to get 8 customers/day

3 bars/restaurants on the beach do a good business with 60 baht happy hour beers from 5 pm

From the areas I have recently observed in Kamala, Phuket Town, and Bangtao, it is a little slower than a normal low season, but life still goes on.

Kata, Karon, Patong have a relatively very-high proportion of tourist accommodation vs local/expat residents, and thus naturally they are deadsville until the borders are reopened. 

The great news for Phuket is that there is still no real alternative to Phuket in Asia, so things will definitely  come back to “normal” in the prime tourist hotspots once the kungflu hysteria is in the rear view mirror. 

ps- for those that think Vietnam may be the next best thing....I have been traveling to Vietnam for business and tourism many times since 1997. My last visit was in January of this year. Unfortunately, it has been going downhill fast in terms of all the things that made it great once. Its getting much more crowded, expensive, and dirty each year. Tourist scams are getting worse as well. Sadly, there have been huge negative changes overall in Vietnam over the last 5 years in particular.

There remains to be NO single place in Vietnam that can come close to challenging Phuket overall in terms of tourist attractions.

Edited by ChasingTheSun
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

Another reason was the rise of the internet.

Another is that the younger generation is more puritanical than their predecessors.

I had to google puritanical

I think the main reason is the price...Its not a cheap holiday anymore. Some of the boat/tour operators were charging obscene prices for very substandard packages

I think that's generally the theme all around Thailand, @Agusts

The era of the Westerner has peaked and is now subsiding, it's demise hastened by the global pandemic.

If the Thai people want to continue serving tourists, they will as you say, need to adapt to the new presence of the Chinese and Indians going forward.

I'm sure there will still be the odd Western couple, backpacker Uni graduates traveling SE Asia, a few expats clinging onto the red light districts.  However, I think you're absolutely correct that the numbers will be way lesser than before and many bar/massage businesses may never open again.

• Sad 1

On 8/16/2020 at 5:52 PM, xylophone said:

Or invest in property in a 3rd world country with limited legal rights.

The guy has nothing......most smart people invest in their home lands and now are living off the fat.

2 hours ago, ThePearl said:

Or invest in property in a 3rd world country with limited legal rights.

The guy has nothing......most smart people invest in their home lands and now are living off the fat.

Why are you claiming that Thailand is a “3rd world country”? 

Why do you claim that Thailand has no significant property “rights”?

In addition, why would you also claim that the many thousands of expats in Thailand currently living in houses/condos that they own (not paying rent on) are not “smart”?

Plus, why do you believe that the millions of investors who have bought/sold foreign property(s) for real profits/income around the world are not “smart” either?

Edited by ChasingTheSun

Don't take my word for it, check TAT annual visitor numbers for Thailand and Phuket in particular over the last 10 years until this year Jan, the increase of tourists numbers coming here every year increased by quite a bit...

If you're only talking about Patong night life , girly bars and massage shops that don't give any massage ????, then that's true, they're going to the abyss, and no chance of recovery as far as I can see...

Saying that there are some really good discount going on now, San Miguel Light in Illuzion is 120b now, was 200, some other bars 70b, when it was 100 before (-40 or -30%). So when the borders open again we might get some bargain hunters coming in if they keep low prices that way...! ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Agusts said:

San Miguel Light in Illuzion is 120b now, was 200, some other bars 70b, when it was 100 before (-40 or -30%). So when the borders open again we might get some bargain hunters coming in if they keep low prices that way.

There is no way they can keep prices that low especially if they plan to still be here a year from now (make it past next low season).

SML is on average 40b 'wholesale', 70 is only 30b 'profit', from that 30b has to come rent (high on Bangla), salarys, cooling, utilities, licences, cops and so on.

You would have to sell an unbelievable amount of beer, day in day out, to make a profit.

Only reason doing it now is most bars open have either rent suspended or reduced big time, that will stop when borders open (some owners are already getting pressured by landlords with announcement of Oct 1 'safe and sealed' plan)

Hell with bar owners costs on Bangla even 100 is too cheap, 120 is probably more appropriate price for Bangla

Edited by Lashay
  • Like 1