Vientiane tourist visarun

Flied wednesday 21.6 late evening from Bangkok to Vientiane using lao airlines. Almost Direct to bed at Douangpraseuth Hotel which is about nearest hotel to thaiconsulate. Next day go to apply about 9:30 Am. There was a line but it was well organized and did not took too much time.I had wrong/old form and i had to refill form again. I got number 465.

Next day that number popped in the screen about 15:45 so i was glad i had 18:05 flightreservation not earlier flight. One guy told he is most likely going to miss his flight. I do  not know what flight he had. There is a lao restaraunt other side of road where it was nice to drink laobeer and eat and while waiting. Food was really good.:smile:

Edited by thaitero
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, thaitero said:

Next day that number popped in the screen about 15:45 so i was glad i had 18:05 flightreservation not earlier flight.

That's an interesting observation, as there was recently a thread about the possibility to do visa run from Pattaya by air. 16:20h return flight. Risky.

16 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

That's an interesting observation, as there was recently a thread about the possibility to do visa run from Pattaya by air. 16:20h return flight. Risky.

Yes, it is if you apply monday or thursday.  If you have 16:20 returnflight i suggest to be there when they open and that is of cource not so nice because "everybody else" are there also that time, i quess. Life is so much better if you do not plan too tight schedules would be my "best advice" though,,:smile:

Edited by thaitero

Going for tourist visa I usually fly into Vientiane and stay at hotel in town. Convenient to the pubs and restaurants on the waterfrontr. Bor Pen Yang I think it's called is a massive rooftop pub with awesome views and pool tables and free wifi. I walk to the consulate in the morning to avoid the rip off Tuk Tuks. Takes about 20 minutes. But the proper taxi rate is ok but I like the exercise anyhow. Get there about 8.30 and get a number from the hut inside the gate. But I don't queue up in the long line. I walk straight on and turn  the building on the left. Up the steps and inside there are two ladies sitting at a desk filling in forms. Get a blank form and wait until they are ready. Give them form and passport and copies. They fill the form. I think the charge is 50 baht. They stamp the form. Walk outside to the start of the Q ( jump the line ) and wait at the desk where forms are collected. Hand form to the lady and get your number. I've seen massive lines at Vientiane consulate but I am in and out in 10 minutes or so every time. Walk back to town. Next day early in line and wait my turn. Walk back to hotel and collect my bag. Get the really cheap bus to the border. Walk across and after immigration walk outside and negotiate a van to Udon Thani airport. I think there are two air Asia evening flights at about 7 and 10 pm. I opt for the latter one. I don't mind getting to the airport early. There is a restaurant upstairs . I go to Udon Thani as it's dirt cheap if booking in advance and I don't want to stay an extra night in Vientiane. Two nights in Vientiane suits me fine.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, roundtheworld said:

Going for tourist visa I usually fly into Vientiane and stay at hotel in town. Convenient to the pubs and restaurants on the waterfrontr. Bor Pen Yang I think it's called is a massive rooftop pub with awesome views and pool tables and free wifi. I walk to the consulate in the morning to avoid the rip off Tuk Tuks. Takes about 20 minutes. But the proper taxi rate is ok but I like the exercise anyhow. Get there about 8.30 and get a number from the hut inside the gate. But I don't queue up in the long line. I walk straight on and turn  the building on the left. Up the steps and inside there are two ladies sitting at a desk filling in forms. Get a blank form and wait until they are ready. Give them form and passport and copies. They fill the form. I think the charge is 50 baht. They stamp the form. Walk outside to the start of the Q ( jump the line ) and wait at the desk where forms are collected. Hand form to the lady and get your number. I've seen massive lines at Vientiane consulate but I am in and out in 10 minutes or so every time. Walk back to town. Next day early in line and wait my turn. Walk back to hotel and collect my bag. Get the really cheap bus to the border. Walk across and after immigration walk outside and negotiate a van to Udon Thani airport. I think there are two air Asia evening flights at about 7 and 10 pm. I opt for the latter one. I don't mind getting to the airport early. There is a restaurant upstairs . I go to Udon Thani as it's dirt cheap if booking in advance and I don't want to stay an extra night in Vientiane. Two nights in Vientiane suits me fine.

Instead of jumping the line which is downright rude why don't you just get there earlier and wait your turn like most well mannered people do?

I've seen people sent to the back of the line when the staff spot them pushing in, let's hope it happens to you next time

Instead of jumping the line which is downright rude why don't you just get there earlier and wait your turn like most well mannered people do?

I've seen people sent to the back of the line when the staff spot them pushing in, let's hope it happens to you next time

Touch of sour grapes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

darrendsd, we have the option of going into the building on the left and paying the ladies to fill out our form. It's a service provided within the consulate. The man in that office who organises it advises you to hand the stamped form to the lady at the table. There is no need to line up with everybody else. So we can ' jump the line '. Those others waiting in line have the same option to use this service but most don't know about it or maybe would rather avoid paying and line up. It's a form of fast track service. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, roundtheworld said:

darrendsd, we have the option of going into the building on the left and paying the ladies to fill out our form. It's a service provided within the consulate. The man in that office who organises it advises you to hand the stamped form to the lady at the table. There is no need to line up with everybody else. So we can ' jump the line '. Those others waiting in line have the same option to use this service but most don't know about it or maybe would rather avoid paying and line up. It's a form of fast track service. 

So the man in the sideoffice told you can "jump the line" because you used this "filling service" or do you just suppose this is the case? I think you are wrong, You paid for filling not for fast track.

Edited by thaitero
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, hawker9000 said:

People will have their reasons.  But I agree that if you don't have some pressing reason to hightail it back, Vientiane isn't a bad place to spend an evening or two and doing so takes all the stress out of the visa trip.

yes there there are some decent coffee shops and restaurants to explore there now:thumbsup: