PM asks public to keep waterways clean and unclogged

rooster59

PM asks public to keep waterways clean and unclogged

Thammarat Thadaphrom

BANGKOK, 24th June 2017 (NNT) – Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha has pleaded with the public to keep canals and waterways in Bangkok clean and unclogged to prevent future flooding. 

In his national speech this week, Gen Prayut said His Majesty King Maha Vajiralongkorn Bodindradebayavarangkun had instructed Ratcha Wallop Royal Guards to remove waste, water hyacinth, and other unwanted aquatic plants from Bangkok canals, identified as Khlong Suea Noi, Khlong Lan Tanod, Khlong Nawong Pracha Pattana, Khlong Mon Thong, and Khlong Ta Sum. 

Intended not only to keep the waterways clean, the canal cleaning operation which has been going on for the past two weeks also reduces mosquito breeding grounds and beautifies Bangkok’s landscape. 

As Bangkok has been battling heavy rains during recent weeks, Gen Prayut called on the public to keep canals in their communities clean, in order to maintain high water flow and drainage capacity. 

The prime minister said the government is looking for more ways to help Bangkok communities effectively deal with water related problems. 

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-06-24

no way, every night closing time after business, street vendors, retail shops anyone and everyone will throw their red sodas for prayers into the drains making it stink like the 18 levels of hell. 

And that is only 1 of the stinky they throw in there. I can go on n on...

I wonder if we should also ask those who Pi>> in them while standing on the side of the roads in full view of other motorists to refrain from doing so as the water is usually then pumped back into the shower and washing up taps.

In wonder if Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II has to make a phone call to Prime Minister Theresa  May to make sure the local authorities in Thames riverside communities are doing the jobs for which they are paid from the public purse in order to keep the river and waterways clean?  

In the British Military, it is not the colonel or major who makes sure the latrines or mess is clean.Delegating authority, is that something Thai military men are familiar with?.

Once again, this little man, who completely lacks vision, wisdom, or intelligence, is asking for a solution, without addressing the problem. That is his M.O. Never, ever address the underlying problem. If he was sincere, which he is not, he would devise an environmental awareness campaign, before asking people not to pollute the waterways. Does he actually think by asking them to keep the rivers from getting clogged, that will result in any sort of improvement? This is part of the problem with this administration. They are completely myopic, and incompetent beyond the eldest stretches of the imagination. Education. Educate the people, and then they will do what is right with regard to the environment. Show them you care. Stop talking, and start acting. Is it within you? Are you capable of being a real leader? If you are asking the people to stop being selfish, you can start with yourself, and set the example.

Edited by spidermike007

20 hours ago, dinsdale said:

No hope. Thais stand next to bins and drop their litter on the ground. 

I fully understood that there was a real litter problem in Thailand,  apart from the obvious daily examples, when I bought a litter bin for our bathroom, which had a printed message on the side saying "Use me to keep clean", which was reinforced with a picture alongside of a stylised figure throwing litter into a bin.

One might have expected that a message and illustration of what a litter bin was for would be unnecessary, but on second thoughts...... 

I see PM Prayut has added canals and waterways to his ever expansive list of micro-management duties. I wonder where on earth does he gets the time?

Edited by Cadbury