Fair Market Value Guide in English

BobTH

I am trying to figure out what to ask for a car prior to trying to sell it. It is a 2012 model year, in perfect condition, factory maintained with only 20,000 kilometers on it. If anyone knows of a valid fair market Thailand price guide in English or a translatable website, please reply or message it to me. Thank you in advance.

Very difficult IMO selling late cars in Thailand unless you prepared to take what yourself would regard as a big loss.

Thai Insurance companies l believe can give car valuations.

lf not the way l did it was look at all the ads with year and model and go somewhere with a happy medium. :smile:

Check out taladrod.com   It's in Thai, but you should be able to figure it out to find prices being asked for your make/model, with a bit of trial and error - or get a thai friend to help you.  Click on "price check" and follow it through. 

Edited by steve73

17 minutes ago, steve73 said:

Check out taladrod.com   It's in Thai, but you should be able to figure it out to find prices being asked for your make/model, with a bit of trial and error - or get a thai friend to help you.

Hey Thanks Steve, that worked out really well. I opened it in Google Chrome and it translated it nicely. I got some very good information there, thanks again.

2 minutes ago, BobTH said:

Hey Thanks Steve, that worked out really well. I opened it in Google Chrome and it translated it nicely. I got some very good information there, thanks again.

Bear in mind that a lot of these ad's are from dealers, and they're probably asking 10-15% more than you might get as a private seller... and even then you might need to drop a little more to secure a sale.  What are you selling, where, and how much..? PM me if you'd prefer. 

Resale prices in Thailand are somewhat distorted - the normal rules of depreciation don't apply. In general, cars manufactured in Thailand depreciate according to km and year - imported cars are always pricier due to the import duty.

Get on bahtsold and ThaiVisa, and try to match your vehicle with what's on offer. Bear in mind the 20,000 km of the vehicle may give rise to some scepticism for a 5 yo car.

4 minutes ago, bazza73 said:

Resale prices in Thailand are somewhat distorted - the normal rules of depreciation don't apply. In general, cars manufactured in Thailand depreciate according to km and year - imported cars are always pricier due to the import duty.

Get on bahtsold and ThaiVisa, and try to match your vehicle with what's on offer. Bear in mind the 20,000 km of the vehicle may give rise to some scepticism for a 5 yo car.

Thank you bazza73 for your input and I will check out the sites you recommended. About the skepticism, I have all the maintenance records and really that is the main reason I am selling it is because I am not using it enough. Thanks again.

35 minutes ago, gandalf12 said:

What make of vehicle is it?

Mazda 2 Sport, 5 door, leather, options, aftermarket anti-theft and Pioneer high end stereo with DVD. It's a dark grey color called Metropolitan Grey. 

12 hours ago, BobTH said:

Thank you bazza73 for your input and I will check out the sites you recommended. About the skepticism, I have all the maintenance records and really that is the main reason I am selling it is because I am not using it enough. Thanks again.

You're welcome - the service records will probably be more of a help with a falang buyer than a Thai. Good luck.

Mazda 2 Sport, 5 door, leather, options, aftermarket anti-theft and Pioneer high end stereo with DVD. It's a dark grey color called Metropolitan Grey. 

Toyotas and Hondas have higher resale value here even for same year/make compared to other Makers. Based on your information,I think you can get between 200-300k.

2 hours ago, bazza73 said:

You're welcome - the service records will probably be more of a help with a falang buyer than a Thai. Good luck.

Is that because Thais do not understand about vehicle servicing? :whistling:

There is no guide,not really.You have to decide yourself,just check the internet there are loads of car selling adds.Thais have no idea how we value our cars,but as we live here we will not never change the way Thai people think,So to be fair to yourself,you have to make your own mind up and try to stick to that price,you will not get what you may think the car is worth,this you have to remember.make your price search for it and be prepared to take the nearest offer,otherwise look for a farang that will have the same values as yourself.There are a few car sellers in CM that will sell it for you,forget them too,they are probably the worst type of people to trust,they will also sell you the best car in Thailand and take you to the bank to buy one from them and promise you the world,forget it,and they are not all Thai people.Good luck if you need some more guides or help you can message me anytime.

2 hours ago, paddyjoe41 said:

There is no guide,not really.You have to decide yourself,just check the internet there are loads of car selling adds.Thais have no idea how we value our cars,but as we live here we will not never change the way Thai people think,So to be fair to yourself,you have to make your own mind up and try to stick to that price,you will not get what you may think the car is worth,this you have to remember.make your price search for it and be prepared to take the nearest offer,otherwise look for a farang that will have the same values as yourself.There are a few car sellers in CM that will sell it for you,forget them too,they are probably the worst type of people to trust,they will also sell you the best car in Thailand and take you to the bank to buy one from them and promise you the world,forget it,and they are not all Thai people.Good luck if you need some more guides or help you can message me anytime.

Thank you for the honest advice Joe. 

A full service history is invaluable here (especially for a low mileage car) as it validates the mileage.  Nearly every 7-10 year old truck I was looking at a few years ago had around 90k on the clock (with wear and tear suggesting MUCH more.)  Apparently many cars, especially pick-ups get clocked here (or at least they used to).  

I ended up buying one with a genuine 220k in immaculate condition and FSH as I knew what I was buying...