PM Prayut 'satisfied' with aviation safety improvements

webfact

PM 'satisfied' with aviation safety improvements

June 26, 2017 01:00 
By THE NATION

4bf08a69f76a68881cb844bd335d8b4f.jpeg

PRIME Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha

BANGKOK: -- PRIME Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has expressed his satisfaction over improvements in aviation safety management and hopes that the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) will lift its “red flag” status on Thailand soon, government spokesman Sansern Kaewkamnerd said yesterday.

While the PM expressed optimism, Transport Minister Akom Termpitaya-paisit said last week that 10 small |airlines may have to cease operations by September due to their poor safety management. 

Thailand has been on the red-flag list since June 2015 when the ICAO |notified the aviation authorities that their supervision of the industry was substandard. The ICAO will evaluate Thailand’s aviation safety management again by September to make a decision on whether the red flag rating can be lifted, an official at the Transport Ministry said. 

The Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand (CAAT) has re-examined safety management for the entire airline industry in recent years and awarded certification for some airlines. So far, six major airlines based here have got Air Operations Certificates (AOC) in recent months, Sansern said. 

Main carriers cleared 

These are the national carriers Thai Airways International, Bangkok Airways, Thai AirAsia, Nok Air, Nok Scoot and Thai AirAsia X, he said, noting that these airlines cover 80 per cent of Thailand’s international routes. 

By September this year, the CAAT would be able to issue AOC certification for 12 airlines, he said.

The 10 airlines, which may not get certification, would have to cease their operations by September 1, Akom said last week. But that outcome would not pose a significant impact on Thailand’s aviation industry because they are mostly small operators, he said.

Prayut instructed the Transport Ministry to speedily enforce the plan to improve safety in the Thai aviation industry by the end of this month, enabling the ICAO to examine the work on schedule by September, Sansern said. 

The aviation authority has followed guidelines suggested by the ICAO |to improve safety standards for the industry, he said, noting that the Cabinet has already endorsed a new aviation bill in order to have an up-to-date law to regulate aviation. The new law, if passed, would replace the 1954 aviation law, he said.

“The ICAO has praised the government’s efforts and progress to improve the country’s aviation safety in order to fix up the problems and build up confidence for the industry,” he said. 

“Passengers’ safety is our priority.”

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30319084

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-06-26

I think he should wait until the actual red flag is removed before getting that silly smirk on his face.

Main carriers cleared 

These are the national carriers Thai Airways International, Bangkok Airways, Thai AirAsia, Nok Air, Nok Scoot and Thai AirAsia X, he said, noting that these airlines cover 80 per cent of Thailand’s international routes. 

Meanwhile in other news.

BANGKOK:-- Four Thai carriers have been designated with the lowest star-ratings for aviation safety in an annual survey of the world’s biggest airlines.

AirlineRatings.com ranked 407 global airlines from one- to seven-stars, according to various factors determining safety. A seven-star rating is the best and safest rating while one-star is the worst. Qantas was named the world’s safest airline for the third year in a row.

148 carriers were awarded a seven-star rating but almost 50 were designated as just three stars or less.

In Thailand, Nok Air was awarded a two-star rating, while AirAsia Thailand, Bangkok Air and Orient Thai Airlines were deemed just three stars. Thai Airways squeaked ahead with four stars.

So is he echoing any independent peer reviewed report by a body of aviation experts or is this just his opinion.  While i don't think even he was this devious, I think it is highly possible that there will be a squeeze on some airlines that will force them out of business.  The Thai regulatory authorities are probably far from independent and will not give a

4 hours ago, webfact said:

“Passengers’ safety is our priority.”

Sadly tourist dollars and face are the aim among the Thai elite, not doing the right thing or a good job.   You can tell by this picture the general loves basking in the light of good news. 

It was only yesterday morning that here in Perth that an Air Asia plane had an emergency when a turbine rotor blade snapped off. The plane had to come back and was shaking like mad. Passengers said it was like being in a washing machine. The pilot  "Reassured"  the passengers telling them he was scared and to pray !!  <deleted> !  Has put a lot of people off Air Asia now. Apparently they do have a very poor service record.  From Perth Thai is just as cheap as the others, now only $639 return to BKK

25 minutes ago, jaiyen said:

It was only yesterday morning that here in Perth that an Air Asia plane had an emergency when a turbine rotor blade snapped off. The plane had to come back and was shaking like mad. Passengers said it was like being in a washing machine. The pilot  "Reassured"  the passengers telling them he was scared and to pray !!  <deleted> !  Has put a lot of people off Air Asia now. Apparently they do have a very poor service record.  From Perth Thai is just as cheap as the others, now only $639 return to BKK

The airline involved was Air Asia X (not Air Asia) I feel very comfortable traveling on Thai Air Asia flights on A-320 planes as these flights have short duration and Thai Air Asia has never had an accident.  As for yesterday's incident I wonder why the pilot did not shut down the faulty engine (which would have stopped the shaking) and fly back to nearest airport on one engine. 

The nice thing about Little P. is that he is consistent. The foreigners that live here, the tourists, the Thai people, and the world at large, can always be confident that when he says something, it is false, and a lie. That is his M.O. Never, ever tell the truth, be honest, be straight forward, of level with the people. That is what he is all about. Lies, deceit, deception, and sting anything that comes into his mind. On alot of levels, he reminds me of Cheeto, in the US.

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

He is as satisfied as the Health and Safety officers were over London's tower block insulation.

I think you mean manufacturers, installers and council building inspectors. I doubt HSE Officers had much to do with it.

1 hour ago, Searat7 said:

The airline involved was Air Asia X (not Air Asia) I feel very comfortable traveling on Thai Air Asia flights on A-320 planes as these flights have short duration and Thai Air Asia has never had an accident.  As for yesterday's incident I wonder why the pilot did not shut down the faulty engine (which would have stopped the shaking) and fly back to nearest airport on one engine. 

Statistically speaking, short flights involve the most dangerous stages of flight, take offs and landings, so I'm not sure that short-haul is any safer just for being short haul. As for the shut down, as I understand it the pilot did shut down the engine, but, airflow kept the turbine spinning and as the engine was ***** the whole plane continued to shake. There's some iPhone video around that makes me awfully glad I wasn't on that plane or anywhere near it. At least it shows that the A330 has a durable airframe. Slowing the airspeed down helped lessen the vibration a bit, apparently. The other question is why when the plane was in that condition the crew flew past Learmonth, a perfectly good nearby airport suitable for A330 landings, especially as emergency services had been primed to expect a possible water landing (there might have been valid reasons for flying past Learmonth , but if so the airline hasn't talked about them yet). Don't think I'll be flying too often on any Air Asia franchises in the future. 

Edited by dundas

5 hours ago, colinneil said:

The  PM is satisfied with aviation safety improvements, now he is an aviaition expert along with his many other incredible talents.:cheesy:

Go easy! He just means that it´s super good that all the planes now have wings.

3 hours ago, Lupatria said:

You heard the old saying: "Everyone can become president." 

So why shouldn't Air Asia's slogan be true in the same sense?

"Now everyone can fly"

Or is it "Now everypig can fly" ? :smile:

“Passengers’ safety is our priority.” Really? What about road transport? :post-4641-1156693976:

Guess that doesn't bother him so much because there is no powerful international regulatory authority looking over his shoulder!

2 hours ago, wvavin said:

In support of this Prime Minister, I will try my very best to believe in the improvement of the aviation safety.

:cheesy: Got anymore good jokes? I like your one.

In case of misunderstanding, yes I do understand the context in which your remark was made.

Of course, everyone within Thailand's borders will trust the local authorities when they claim they trained all active air controller to international standard in just 6 month, and overcome the shortage by superseding the missing ones. That's because Thais learned to believe they are superior to all others on this planet. For the rest, this country is infamous for ineffective attempts solving such problems no matter if on land, sea, and air. 

9 hours ago, colinneil said:

The  PM is satisfied with aviation safety improvements, now he is an aviaition expert along with his many other incredible talents.:cheesy:

I cannot remember having read even 1 time that he is not satisfied with something he did ?

He was even satisfied with the reduced death toll of 500 dead during 1 week !

“Passengers’ safety is our priority.” Really? What about road transport? :post-4641-1156693976:

Guess that doesn't bother him so much because there is no powerful international regulatory authority looking over his shoulder!

Rich people fly.
Poor people take the bus or a van.

12 hours ago, Searat7 said:

Because he was told that if you try to fly on only one engine, the plane will just keep going round in circles.

In real terms, I think any certification or license issued by CAAT means next to nothing. After all, this is the same organization that's supposedly been overseeing Thai commercial aviation all the time that led up to the country getting a red card warning from ICAO.

When ICAO comes and does their review this September, assuming the OP article is correct, that's when I'll start paying attention to what folks are saying and doing. In the meantime, expect to see/read numerous Thai media reports quoting Thai government officials saying they expect ICAO will remove the red card. (They're always so very fond of speaking on behalf of other organization in which they have no role).