What is/was this snake please?

Found by the front door this morning, about 12mm wide, maybe 90cm long, reared up at my wife. We have a sledge hammer (two-handed heavy hammer) as a door-stop so my wife swiftly picked it up and clouted snake behind the head with it. So that is why that bit is rather flat. We have puppy dogs about 6 months old so don't want snakes in a small walled garden thank you.

Can anyone identify it (or what's left of it)? She is worried there might be a nest of them.

S_6295189622303.jpg

S_6295189834902.jpg

11 hours ago, meatboy said:

JESUS you need to go and by some lottery tkts.

What numbers do you see? ?

To the OP: I admire your wife - that was swift action she took. Most people, myself included, freeze at the sight of snakes. 

1 hour ago, kenk24 said:

Hi Poom - no disrespect but the obsession with killing snakes is that some of them can be deadly and many of us with families have toddlers walking around. Personally, I have no gripe with snakes, but would kill one in an instant if I thought there was a chance it might kill or wound one of the kids or dogs on the property. I went outside one morn to find my dog jousting w/a king cobra... I had no moral dilemma as to whose side I should take... I would not say I have an obsession as I get no joy from killing a snake, or rat, but I would say I am closer to having an obsession with protecting my family. 

Killing the odd snake actually seen, doesn't mean that there aren't still MANY nearby - so its a bit pointless as a precautionary measure.

Personally, when finding a possibly venomous snake in the garden (and nearly always my dogs alert me as to their presence), I get the dogs in the house and (depending on the snakes size and location) either close the door until the snake bugg.rs off or, (if the snake is small enough to hide close to the house), usher them away with a broom.

Killing them is pointless, as you can guarantee there are others nearby!

The baby cobras are more aggressive than older ones. The older ones will slither off as fast as possible as long as there is an escape route, often without you even noticing them. The young ones don't have the healthy fear of people yet and strike fast. Lucky your wife was fast with the sledge.

18 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Killing the odd snake actually seen, doesn't mean that there aren't still MANY nearby - so its a bit pointless as a precautionary measure.

Personally, when finding a possibly venomous snake in the garden (and nearly always my dogs alert me as to their presence), I get the dogs in the house and (depending on the snakes size and location) either close the door until the snake bugg.rs off or, (if the snake is small enough to hide close to the house), usher them away with a broom.

Your last sentence is very true, but the way I see it, if there is a threat of serious danger to you or any of your family, from anything that has a pulse, you should kill or maime

because of what could happen to you or your family.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, sstuff3 said:

The baby cobras are more aggressive than older ones. The older ones will slither off as fast as possible as long as there is an escape route, often without you even noticing them. The young ones don't have the healthy fear of people yet and strike fast. Lucky your wife was fast with the sledge.

Agree entirely with everything other than the last sentence.

I've ushered away a few baby cobras (as you rightly point out, far more dangerous for various reasons than the adults) with a broom/water from the hosepipe etc.

Killing a baby cobra is pointless - his brothers and sisters are nearby, even though they haven't been seen.

Edit - I've also noticed that whilst baby cobras are concerned to get away from my dogs, the're far more aggressive towards me than my dogs!

Edited by dick dasterdly

On 2017-6-26 at 11:37 AM, cliveshep said:

Thanks for that.

I'm glad she wacked it then. Hope there aren't any more in the garden. Just glad it didn't strike her BEFORE she dropped the hammer on it.

Got loads of banana and other trees overhanging the garden wall from the farm at the back. Been industrious this morning doing some heavy pruning - no sense in providing stairways and gang-planks into the garden. Trouble is the farm's bananas grow on the 4ft wide bank of a little canal which is against our back wall and given the recent rain the canal and disused rice field are flooded so the narrow strip

In Australia, all school kids are taught that the majority of fatal snake bites occur inside the house, as they come indoors to shelter, and a sure way to be bitten is to try and kill a snake.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2017 at 11:37 AM, cliveshep said:

Thanks for that.

I'm glad she wacked it then. Hope there aren't any more in the garden. Just glad it didn't strike her BEFORE she dropped the hammer on it.

Got loads of banana and other trees overhanging the garden wall from the farm at the back. Been industrious this morning doing some heavy pruning - no sense in providing stairways and gang-planks into the garden. Trouble is the farm's bananas grow on the 4ft wide bank of a little canal which is against our back wall and given the recent rain the canal and disused rice field are flooded so the narrow strip

You wasted your time. Snakes can climb walls. I've seen stories of them working their way up to several floors high outside condos, using the corners.

Just now, masuk said:

In Australia, all school kids are taught that the majority of fatal snake bites occur inside the house, as they come indoors to shelter, and a sure way to be bitten is to try and kill a snake.

Have to admit that I'm always concerned on the few occasions snakes have come into the house - even when I knew they were only Golden Tree snakes!

Fortunately I've always eventually (an entertaining half hour or so if anyone had been lucky enough to be watching!) ushered them out.  But the fear remains - suppose one enters the house unseen, and I (or my dog) step on it whilst letting my dog out for a pee during the night?!  Unlikely to happen, but a fear in a similar category as my dogs running about in the garden once it gets dark :sad:.

We have to learn to live with these fears - and realise that killing snakes is pointless.

I used to have many snakes in my garden and at first killed them. I then bought books to learn about them and then made a snake catcher with a length of bamboo with a sliding noose. I then caught them and deposited them in nearby wasteland. Much more satisfying than killing them. Though I must confess to calling some locals in to  capture a 3.2 m King Cobra  from under the house when the house was full of kids. Sadly the locals bumped it off and took it away. When my wife went to them the next morning to get some better pics. they had already devoured it. Ah well.:saai:  

2 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

I appreciate your love for the snake, but I don't agree that in killing a threat to my kids it is pointless, whether there are others nearby or not... we don't see them that often, but when we do, as you, the dogs alert us - one dog lost an eye to a snake... and as I said, I prefer my dogs and kids to a snake... any snake. 

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Your last sentence is very true, but the way I see it, if there is a threat of serious danger to you or any of your family, from anything that has a pulse, you should kill or maime

because of what could happen to you or your family.

So if an unknown Muslim gentleman arrived on your doorstep.................anger issues much?

If he had facial hair, tattoos, beer gut and a singlet while wearing shorts it would be a bloodbath no doubt!!

29 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

I used to have many snakes in my garden and at first killed them. I then bought books to learn about them and then made a snake catcher with a length of bamboo with a sliding noose. I then caught them and deposited them in nearby wasteland. Much more satisfying than killing them. Though I must confess to calling some locals in to  capture a 3.2 m King Cobra  from under the house when the house was full of kids. Sadly the locals bumped it off and took it away. When my wife went to them the next morning to get some better pics. they had already devoured it. Ah well.:saai:  

Living in a (relatively small) open area surrounded by 'wilderness' and many trees - there are obviously many snakes around.

I'm still worried about snakes in the house :shock1:, but realise that there is no point in killing them just because I'm frightened.

Far more compassionate to either close the doors (until they go away), or usher them away with a broom etc.

Agree entirely with everything other than the last sentence.

I've ushered away a few baby cobras (as you rightly point out, far more dangerous for various reasons than the adults) with a broom/water from the hosepipe etc.

Killing a baby cobra is pointless - his brothers and sisters are nearby, even though they haven't been seen.

Edit - I've also noticed that whilst baby cobras are concerned to get away from my dogs, the're far more aggressive towards me than my dogs!

I have no problem helping to educate his or her siblings that may be nearby of the dangers of coming around humans.

If the snake is non-venonmous I help it find it's way away from my dogs (up a tree or wherever) but I don't have the same compassion for venomous snake in or around my house.

33 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

I appreciate your love for the snake, but I don't agree that in killing a threat to my kids it is pointless, whether there are others nearby or not... we don't see them that often, but when we do, as you, the dogs alert us - one dog lost an eye to a snake... and as I said, I prefer my dogs and kids to a snake... any snake. 

You've somehow (?) managed to miss the point that I don't "love" snakes (edit - even though to a small extent I'm used to them)  - but accept that they're all around and that there is no point in killing them as a 'precautionary' measure - when its just as easy to close the doors until they've gone/drive them off with a broom!

Edited by dick dasterdly

7 minutes ago, sstuff3 said:

I have no problem helping to educate his or her siblings that may be nearby of the dangers of coming around humans.

If the snake is non-venonmous I help it find it's way away from my dogs (up a tree or wherever) but I don't have the same compassion for venomous snake in or around my house.

You genuinely think the siblings pay attention that you've killed one of their brothers/sisters :laugh:?

55 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

So if an unknown Muslim gentleman arrived on your doorstep.................anger issues much?

If he had facial hair, tattoos, beer gut and a singlet while wearing shorts it would be a bloodbath no doubt!!

No. I would listen to what he had to say and he would be perfectly safe as long as he did not threaten violence in any way.

One of my best friends has facial hair, is covered in tattoos, and has a beer gut, and you could not meet a nicer guy, as he is financially very well off, he can gets laid, but has to pay for it.

Edited by possum1931