What is/was this snake please?

1 hour ago, tryasimight said:

So if an unknown Muslim gentleman arrived on your doorstep.................anger issues much?

If he had facial hair, tattoos, beer gut and a singlet while wearing shorts it would be a bloodbath no doubt!!

Not sure....:stoner:

7 hours ago, dotpoom said:

Just wondering how knowing it's name will stop them from coming into your garden?

I'v asked it many times on here....what is this obsession with some people on here with slautering snakes who just happen to be in your path. In fact one could say it was your wife who crossed his path, she could be seen as the agressor ( turned out to be true and seemingly proud of it)

I slept in a 3rd floor condo about 5 days ago and low and behold while I was on my PC out of the side of my eye I seen movement. A long snake (green, thin, about a metre long, have pics. but probs. attaching) was at the top of a diningroom chair at eye level.  I stood up, he moved down along the chair and in behind the washing machine. I sprayed some ant spray around a little (knew the smell would encourage him to leave) and went to bed. Next morning found him in the kitchen moving about. I opened the door and he was happy to make his way out. No blood lust involved.

Once heard it said...."Every living thing is evidence of God's existance"....probably doesn't mean much these days but the principle still holds.

I don't even kill cock roaches, they pick up after me when I leave crumbs and whatnot around.  Law of the land in my houses, you don't kill any snakes, unless you get bit by one so it can be identified in case anti-venom needs to be administered.  Most people get bit by doing something stupid, yes, 1% get bit by accident, but it really boils down to situational awareness, we are sharing this space.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dick dasterdly said:

You genuinely think the siblings pay attention that you've killed one of their brothers/sisters :laugh:?

Karma, pay back??  Ya never know.  When I lived in the south, my Thai neighbors had names for King Cobra's............they were part of the village and weren't killed. 'cept by farang's   -  Btw, King Cobras eat other snakes, even other cobra's  -  natures way of keeping the population down, spitting cobra's are very dangerous, happy the king's eat them.

4 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

You've somehow (?) managed to miss the point that I don't "love" snakes (edit - even though to a small extent I'm used to them)  - but accept that they're all around and that there is no point in killing them as a 'precautionary' measure - when its just as easy to close the doors until they've gone/drive them off with a broom!

Well, with all due respect, talk about missing the point - - we have a family compound and people, kids, dogs, all congregate, eat, play all day outside of the house... Thai country style, the houses are on stilts and get warm during the day - - the people relax in hammocks and cook and congregate outside and under the houses... so, if you had a couple of toddlers running about outside most of the day, would you want them frolicking amongst possibly poisonous snakes? 

You might be used to them, they don't bother me too much unless they endanger my family. It is not like they are friendly, happy visitors. We pick the fleas and ticks off the dogs too and kill them. We are a murderous crew here... I swat at mosquitoes that bite me too. 

And since you must be a vegetarian - I have heard it said... "Oh. No. Don't slay that potato that never did nothin' to you." 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, djayz said:

What numbers do you see? ?

To the OP: I admire your wife - that was swift action she took. Most people, myself included, freeze at the sight of snakes. 

Looks like a zero on the back of the cobra.  So zeros are good!  But after hitting it with a hammer, that could be a 6 or a 9 depending on how you look at it. So any combination of 0 6 9 and Bob's your uncle. Lol

Edited by connda

10 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Your last sentence is very true, but the way I see it, if there is a threat of serious danger to you or any of your family, from anything that has a pulse, you should kill or maime

because of what could happen to you or your family.

I see a threat every time I go out in the car or on my bike.  I don't have time to kill or maime all I meet.

14 hours ago, sangtip2 said:

I don't have to decide to kill or not to kill.  My dog kill every snake that comes in the yard.   It doesn't matter what kind.

Its our cats that get the snakes. They say dogs hunt in packs but there is no better teamwork than a group of cats after a snake.

On ‎27‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 9:10 AM, kenk24 said:

Hi Poom - no disrespect but the obsession with killing snakes is that some of them can be deadly and many of us with families have toddlers walking around. Personally, I have no gripe with snakes, but would kill one in an instant if I thought there was a chance it might kill or wound one of the kids or dogs on the property. I went outside one morn to find my dog jousting w/a king cobra... I had no moral dilemma as to whose side I should take... I would not say I have an obsession as I get no joy from killing a snake, or rat, but I would say I am closer to having an obsession with protecting my family. 

I would be more stressed out by toddlers in my garden then a snake! 

Dog's usually know how to handle a snake.  We get lots of snakes and we have 2 dogs, and never had a problem in over 10 years.  My dogs simply bark a 'snake bark' at them to tell me there are there... and then I get the dog inside to give the snake a chance to move on. 

You should know that this snake your wife killed... feeds on other snakes!  So now you will likely get MORE snakes in your garden!!!!

6 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

I would be more stressed out by toddlers in my garden then a snake! 

Dog's usually know how to handle a snake.  We get lots of snakes and we have 2 dogs, and never had a problem in over 10 years.  My dogs simply bark a 'snake bark' at them to tell me there are there... and then I get the dog inside to give the snake a chance to move on. 

You should know that this snake your wife killed... feeds on other snakes!  So now you will likely get MORE snakes in your garden!!!!

Where did I mention my wife killing any specific snake. And don't forget that your mother was once a toddler too. 

18 hours ago, kenk24 said:

Where did I mention my wife killing any specific snake. And don't forget that your mother was once a toddler too. 

Ups, sorry, I confused you with OP...

My toddler 'mother' was not my mother then.. too young. 

• 8 months later...
On 6/27/2017 at 8:11 AM, dotpoom said:

Just wondering how knowing it's name will stop them from coming into your garden?

I'v asked it many times on here....what is this obsession with some people on here with slautering snakes who just happen to be in your path. In fact one could say it was your wife who crossed his path, she could be seen as the agressor ( turned out to be true and seemingly proud of it)

I slept in a 3rd floor condo about 5 days ago and low and behold while I was on my PC out of the side of my eye I seen movement. A long snake (green, thin, about a metre long, have pics. but probs. attaching) was at the top of a diningroom chair at eye level.  I stood up, he moved down along the chair and in behind the washing machine. I sprayed some ant spray around a little (knew the smell would encourage him to leave) and went to bed. Next morning found him in the kitchen moving about. I opened the door and he was happy to make his way out. No blood lust involved.

Once heard it said...."Every living thing is evidence of God's existance"....probably doesn't mean much these days but the principle still holds.

Get out of your own head and have a reality check.  You say you have said it so many times, yet it still happens.  Got news for ya, as long as Cobras appear in populated areas where there are small children and pets, they are going to be subject to this kind of response...  my house included.  I would much rather suffer the ravages of karma than spend a week in the hospital hoping a loved one survives.  Get real and stop whining about the poor cobra.  As for being a demonstrative aggressor; good for the woman for protecting her family.  Just saying...  Doc

Edited by Jiggyfly

5 minutes ago, Jiggyfly said:

Get out of your own head and have a reality check.  You say you have said it so many times, yet it still happens.  Got news for ya, as long as Cobras appear in populated areas where there are small children and pets, they are going to be subject to this kind of response...  my house included.  I would much rather suffer the ravages of karma than spend a week in the hospital hoping a loved one survives.  Get real and stop whining about the poor cobra.  As for being a demonstrative aggressor; good for the woman for protecting her family.  Just saying...  Doc

Of course we all worry about a much-loved family member being bitten by a cobra or other venemous snake.

Fortunately, the fear lessens over the years as we realise that our much-loved dog family members realise the threat posed by these snakes - and give their distinctive 'snake bark' to warn us .  Time to usher pets away, allowing the snake the chance it was looking for to move well away :smile:.

I'm as non-plussed as yourself - but from the opposite angle - as to why so many are keen to kill all cobras, bearing in mind they prefer to 'run'.  They're not looking to kill you, or your pets, and try to reserve their venom for food sources (snakes).

• 2 weeks later...

We had a large cobra come over our back wall from the farm field next door, at least 3 metres long and the sort with a hood when it rears up. It reared up against our back door mosquito screen, my wife took a phone video of it while fighting to stop the dogs getting out and then called a man to come get it. 

This thing was as big around as my wrist. Anyway it decided it didn't like our garden and went up the breather pipe fixed to the back wall and over the wall and left.

Wife is still panicky, so we are installing nets all along the back wall and returning down the side walls a few metres. She has seen how snakes cannot climb them, if small ones get through the meshes they cannot push against anything so try and come back through another mesh and get hung up, big snakes are just defeated. 1 m high on top of our wall with the bottom of the net fixed down on one side, the other side can flap. A 2 m net folded in half, fold at the top on a line between 1 m posts, and only the side facing us fixed down. Apparently this big Cobra is worth a lot of money says our snake catcher friend so if we net it he can have it!