Roof / attic ventilation fan

mortenaa

2 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

So all we would need then is either an adaptor or the sparky could hard wire it straight in as they say ?

no adaptor, no nothing! my voltage is a bit higher than usual due to the cool weather but it doesn't harm any electric/electronic gadgets rated 220, 230 or 240V.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used thermal reflective insulation under my roof tiles, best thing I ever did as it takes much longer for the heat to enter the ceiling space, as for the 60,000 baht outlay, worth every baht in my opinion, now after a year, I am looking into suitable ceiling batts, especially on our suspended ceilings, just before summer, but not before having installed an 80m2 covered outdoor area which provides shade to 3 of our external walls, and an external kitchen, with all of those areas covering the bricks that absorb the daylight heat, so its an added bonus, as I think a lot of people overlook the bricks absorbing the heat, like water to a spunge.

Exactly. You have to stop the sun hitting the house. Bit late after it hits the house, but all these insulation bits and pieces work.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

53 minutes ago, carlyai said:

Exactly. You have to stop the sun hitting the house. Bit late after it hits the house, but all these insulation bits and pieces work.

Yes, the so called outside courtyard area if you like (80m2) was useless as the sun would cook you if you tried to be out there, and we had 3 walls exposed to the sun, in a u turn shape if you follow, since putting that covered area up, the house has been much much cooler, we have also completed the external kitchen which is accessed off the internal kitchen, so an extra 12 metres long covering that part of the house bricks has also cooled the house much more also, now recently putting in 2 whirly birds, the things that spin and take out the hot air, has added to the ceiling being cooler, so looking to get about 10 more as we have 320m2 of house over a single level, but the guy that sells them doesn't have them for a flat concrete tile, only the ridged ones which we have at the back of the original bungalow, so have to hunt one down or have the part that replaces the tile made up, as for the batts did some reading on a them which was written by a professor, and he believes if you have the reflective thermal roof sisolation and whirly birds, you shouldn't need them, suffice to say, I will wait till summer to see if we are stilling cooking or not, before I act on it.

6 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Yes, the so called outside courtyard area if you like (80m2) was useless as the sun would cook you if you tried to be out there, and we had 3 walls exposed to the sun, in a u turn shape if you follow, since putting that covered area up, the house has been much much cooler, we have also completed the external kitchen which is accessed off the internal kitchen, so an extra 12 metres long covering that part of the house bricks has also cooled the house much more also, now recently putting in 2 whirly birds, the things that spin and take out the hot air, has added to the ceiling being cooler, so looking to get about 10 more as we have 320m2 of house over a single level, but the guy that sells them doesn't have them for a flat concrete tile, only the ridged ones which we have at the back of the original bungalow, so have to hunt one down or have the part that replaces the tile made up, as for the batts did some reading on a them which was written by a professor, and he believes if you have the reflective thermal roof sisolation and whirly birds, you shouldn't need them, suffice to say, I will wait till summer to see if we are stilling cooking or not, before I act on it.

Large trees would have a similar effect, but I am told that the smaller ones you can buy grow bigger more than the ones that you buy as middle-sized trees. Bigger trees --apparently-- don't grow much if planted at a different location, but do they keep the roots moist when they store the tree? 

I bought a land that had a large tree on the west side of the house and I plan to put some in the east side. Most Thai developers take away/sell the trees to be more efficient. Sad, but it is more efficient. I guess they don't like to deal with roots too.

You could have built a double wall, which would be just as effective, but if external, you still need to put an external coat/stucco.

The addition of the two layered roof has stopped the hot sun hitting the house and improved the coolness inside. We have a reflective barrier and cavity walls, but in the hot season the outside walls were hot and just touchable, but inside still cool, but by 5 pm the house was heating up and some of that stored heat was still there in the mornings.
While I've got some other insulation things to do, stopping the sun hit that part of the house was a good call.20171119_163625.jpg

Archived