Ride hailing taxi service is OK, but the cars must be properly registered

Jonathan Fairfield

Ride hailing taxi service is OK, but the cars must be properly registered

tp1.jpg

Ride hailing service is permissible but the cars used in the service must be properly registered, said Mr Sanit Promwong, director-general of Land Transport Department, on Monday.

He asked traditional taxi drivers to refrain from taking the law into their own hands by harassing drivers of Uber or GrabCar ride hailing service, but to report to officials of the Land Transport Department of taxies suspected of operating without permission so that an investigation can be conducted and punishment meted out accordingly.

Noting that there is no law pertaining to ride hailing service for the time being, Mr Sanit said the department had set up a panel to study the possibility of introducing ride hailing application with the transport system. The study, he added, will take 4-5 months.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/ride-hailing-taxi-service-ok-cars-must-properly-registered/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-06-26

39 minutes ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

He asked traditional taxi drivers to refrain from taking the law into their own hands by harassing drivers of Uber or GrabCar ride hailing service

Please do not break the law Khrap...........Arrest them !!!! Nothing more than thugs with a taxi licence.........I sincerely hope Uber & Grab take all the business......One thing Thai Taxi drivers hate..........Competition, and a more professional service......As rkidlad also says in the above post.....I hope no- one does a u-turn on this ......but pressure from the taxi mafia will be high.....

Good sense prevails - properly licensed Uber and Grab  - this will be a great boon to Thailand and help sideline those awful songthaews and tuk tuks, let alone the current 'metered' taxis which refuse to turn on their meters.

This is the way the world is going and in the next decade or so we will have driverless cars, which will turn the whole car industry upside down and present governments with even greater challenges.

7 minutes ago, aslimversgwm said:

Good sense prevails - properly licensed Uber and Grab  - this will be a great boon to Thailand and help sideline those awful songthaews and tuk tuks, let alone the current 'metered' taxis which refuse to turn on their meters.

How is that good sense?  Uber and Grab make sure the driver owns their car and has a proper driver's license.  You should explain to me how another license by the government is somehow going to do away with Baht Buses and scumbag taxis.

I'll bet you big money that having Uber vet the drivers is much better than the government doing it.  After all, they did such a great job with those taxi drivers, didn't they?  They all have a license and they will cheat you in a heartbeat.

Edited by TonyClifton

3 minutes ago, aslimversgwm said:

This is the way the world is going and in the next decade or so we will have driverless cars, which will turn the whole car industry upside down and present governments with even greater challenges.

But who issues private vehicles with a license to carry fare paying passengers ???

.... The DLT does, the same DLT who will protect the Taxi's (under pressure from the wealthy owners of the Taxi consortiums).

This is simply a transparent and somewhat juvenile game. Next will be the announcement that unregistered UBER's are illegal and there will be a clampdown. 

For the record: UBER Black with the 'White on Green' number plates are register as Limo's and thus legal. The rest with conventional 'Black on White' number plates are not licensed to carry 'fare paying passengers', I also believe that insurance is also questionable when it comes to 'fare paying passengers'.

That said: How many Taxi's are insured ? How many are Safe ? How many are as Clean as every UBER we've ever sat in ?.... UBER remain a far superior service even with a one or two occasional poor levels of service (I had a negative UBER experience last week with an ill tempered driver).

3 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Wait 'til we have someone else turn around and contradict him.

If you stick to the rules, you'll be okay. Only problem is - what are they? No one ever seems to know and no one is willing to admit it.

The problem I see is that there is no mention that a license is available at all. In fact he says that the study will take 4-5 months.

I remember when I arrived here more than 2 decades ago pool tables in bars were illegal and you needed a license for it.

The catch was when you went to get a license, you were told that there were no licenses available, and so the bib continued to pass by every month to collect the fine.

22 minutes ago, aslimversgwm said:

Driverless cars will at least make Thailands roads safe...can't wait!

Kindly allow me to share a small story.....

The other night in a lovely seaside town in the French Riviera, south of France,  where  official taxis make a very good living as they charge exorbitant rates...a late night customer first want's to take UBER for a 15 min. drive  around 6 kms, around 01h30 am to go to a downtown club....the UBER cost is usually the equivalent in US$ between 20 and 22 US$... there was heavy rain and obviously heavy demand. The UBER app  quoted on that night a price between US$ 35 and 45!!!!...Needless to say a regular taxi was taken and paid the equivalent of around US$ 30,--

Morality, if you are familiar with rates and if possible, always compare, as UBER is not always the cheapest option....no matter where in the world!!

Edited by observer90210

We all know all over the world taxis take advantage of customers.

Bangkok, Pattaya, London, NY, LA wherever you go pretty much it is the same story. But it is not changed by the Grab/Uber nonsense either.

What I strongly object to is a Globalized taxi hailing system that is just based on a mobile phone application (app for the thick).

They take a slice of the profit for what exactly?

I have a few taxi firm phone numbers on speed dial, why should you need anything else? They pick me up and take me where I want to go.

The fools that use these internet fads are only to be later exploited by selling their personal details to make more money.

:1zgarz5:

Memo:  To Land Transport Department

Since we cannot stop Uber/Grab and receive no money from them we must brainstorm this.

Please submit your ideas about monetizing.

Focus on under the table gifts and cash payments.

Submit your ideas with your regular under the table cash gifts to your superior.

It is unknown how long we can stall the taxi mafia with the study proposal,  but the Uber/Grab potential is tremendous!

2 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Bangkok, Pattaya, London, NY, LA wherever you go pretty much it is the same story. But it is not changed by the Grab/Uber nonsense either.

What I strongly object to is a Globalized taxi hailing system that is just based on a mobile phone application (app for the thick).

I have a few taxi firm phone numbers on speed dial, why should you need anything else? They pick me up and take me where I want to go.

The fools that use these internet fads are only to be later exploited by selling their personal details to make more money.

Very sad.  

Taxi                                                                      |                 Grab

Not very clean                                                               Always clean

Not personable                                                          Always pleasant

Meter games                                                              Price is fixed

Never has change                                                        No change needed, paid by the app

Seat belts often missing                                            Seat belts required for passengers

LG gas bomb                                                                 Gasoline powered

Good luck with large suitcase                                    can order large car for big suitcases

No water                                                                          many drivers provide free water

No tracking system                                                         All rides are archived

I could go on.  I will never take a taxi anywhere Grab is available.  

You probably write "kilometres per hour" instead of kph :rolleyes:

Anyway, I use the APP for grab taxi and here's why: I send my travel request and all taxis in the vicinity (regardless of their colour) taht use the app receive the notification. A driver will decide he wants the route and comes to pick you up (20 - 25 Baht charge). I can see exactly where he is and don't have tp wait for a call from some lady somewhere. Also, I often get 50 Baht discounts so end up paying less than the meter rate. ;)

You can not compare this to calling "a few firms".

If I need boot/trunk space I use All Thai Taxi advanced booking.

2 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Right and these few taxi firms on your "speed-dial" (does anyone even still use speed-dial this century?) are they available 24/7 and always just a few minutes away from wherever in the world you happen to be when you want a ride? That's impressive. 

I hope Uber and Grab are able to get into the market and flourish!  

This may help the traditional taxis business move to a more legitimate business model.

I know, I know......pigs are flying somewhere in the world. 

Edited by waders123

1 hour ago, SABloke said:

You probably write "kilometres per hour" instead of kph :rolleyes:

Anyway, I use the APP for grab taxi and here's why: I send my travel request and all taxis in the vicinity (regardless of their colour) taht use the app receive the notification. A driver will decide he wants the route and comes to pick you up (20 - 25 Baht charge). I can see exactly where he is and don't have tp wait for a call from some lady somewhere. Also, I often get 50 Baht discounts so end up paying less than the meter rate. ;)

You can not compare this to calling "a few firms".

If I need boot/trunk space I use All Thai Taxi advanced booking.

You are calling for a Grab Taxi.  I always use a Grab Car.  I don't want a filthy dirty rude cheating taxi driver.  

6 hours ago, hawker9000 said:

Standby for a new round of ambushes by the taxi mafia, esp in places where they refuse to use, and get away without using consistently, the meter, like Pattaya.

Where the police turn a blind eye to the violence.  One might think they have a vested interest in allowing these illegal meterless taximeters to clog up the roads whilst they wait for their next sucker.

14 hours ago, aslimversgwm said:

uber lyft etc are a massive step forward but it is going to be a slow introduction in thailand as drivers will continue to be intimidated by standard taxis. i think something is finally going to change for the better in thailand.

UBER have announced UBER Flash - which offers the closest options - UBER Black (Camry etc), UBER X (smaller car, Mazda-2, Vios etc) or a Regular Taxi which has also joined UBER.

The rates are the same as UBER X (starting fare (฿10), distance (฿4/KM), travel time (฿3.5/minute))

It would appear that this an attempt by UBER to appease the regular Taxi drivers and DLT in including Taxi's.

If this removes the 'service issues' and other woes encountered when flagging down a regular Taxi then this could be a decent move, especially with the dual *accountability the app provides.

*Dual accountability: Both passenger and driver are registered, any poor behavior can be reported and acted upon.

23 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

UBER have announced UBER Flash - which offers the closest options - UBER Black (Camry etc), UBER X (smaller car, Mazda-2, Vios etc) or a Regular Taxi which has also joined UBER.

The rates are the same as UBER X (starting fare (฿10), distance (฿4/KM), travel time (฿3.5/minute))

It would appear that this an attempt by UBER to appease the regular Taxi drivers and DLT in including Taxi's.

If this removes the 'service issues' and other woes encountered when flagging down a regular Taxi then this could be a decent move, especially with the dual *accountability the app provides.

*Dual accountability: Both passenger and driver are registered, any poor behavior can be reported and acted upon.

source?

operates where ?  BKK only ?

certainly no regular cabbie will accept those rates in Pattaya or Phuket, and in case he dares to, he soon will be physically "educated" by his fellow transport-Mafia colleagues

On 6/27/2017 at 5:55 AM, TonyClifton said:

Very sad.  

Taxi                                                                      |                 Grab

Not very clean                                                               Always clean

Not personable                                                          Always pleasant

Meter games                                                              Price is fixed

Never has change                                                        No change needed, paid by the app

Seat belts often missing                                            Seat belts required for passengers

LG gas bomb                                                                 Gasoline powered

Good luck with large suitcase                                    can order large car for big suitcases

No water                                                                          many drivers provide free water

No tracking system                                                         All rides are archived

I could go on.  I will never take a taxi anywhere Grab is available.  

I got a taxi last night from down town to the suburbs, clean and likely only a few months old, seat belts, nice polite driver and didn't speed, used the meter - everything fine thanks. Never have a problem at either airport now I have sussed out the mafia.

I guess you frequent some of the more sleazy districts where some of the cabs like to rip you off, or live in Pattaya where they rip off as part of the job. That's a government sanctioned problem you find in Thailand, even at the National Parks and monuments etc. Getting rogue (or mafia) taxi drivers under control is just part of the reform desperately needed here. There are plenty of good taxi guys though, if you look for them.

These "app" services are illegal still and you are not insured don't forget.

Uber etc is just another fad making millions for some jerk in the US or wherever.

Try using your brain, not an "app".

On 6/27/2017 at 6:19 AM, SABloke said:

taht

Kph?  Oh, that's a worthwhile comment?:wacko:

Interesting what you say, so is this Grab or Uber?

If it just gets the best local guys then it sounds a good idea.

My True mobile contract has data, but it doesn't work. Call time is fine though, so I can just ring one and they find something without any delay so long as they have a few minutes warning.

You can normally hail a taxi here easily enough on the street, in fact it is often difficult to cross the road for the number of taxis, depends where you live.

36 minutes ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

I got a taxi last night from down town to the suburbs, clean and likely only a few months old, seat belts, nice polite driver and didn't speed, used the meter - everything fine thanks. Never have a problem at either airport now I have sussed out the mafia.

I guess you frequent some of the more sleazy districts where some of the cabs like to rip you off, or live in Pattaya where they rip off as part of the job. That's a government sanctioned problem you find in Thailand, even at the National Parks and monuments etc. Getting rogue (or mafia) taxi drivers under control is just part of the reform desperately needed here. There are plenty of good taxi guys though, if you look for them.

These "app" services are illegal still and you are not insured don't forget.

Uber etc is just another fad making millions for some jerk in the US or wherever.

Try using your brain, not an "app".

Thanks for the precious recommendations.....would you mind sharing how...how can you get hold of decent taxi chaps in Bangkok for instance?