Thailand to get tough on foreigners working without work permits, employers also targeted

webfact

5 hours ago, recycler said:

My wife was told yesterday by a police man at a roadblock in Chaiyaphum that I was not allowed to drive at all in Thailand due to a recent new law. My wife was driving at the time, so no fine, but it could have been 40,000 Baht according to the police man advising my wife not to let me drive. Not bad for me at the start of a 500 km trip back home ;-)

Could this have anything to do with the getting tough?

Are you a resident or a tourist? If you have the international driving licence, the Thai police cannot prohibit you to drive because this licence is valid also in Thailand.

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, jspill said:

Well you come off as deranged the way you post and like comments about reporting 'illegal workers' (what do you have against Burmese construction workers etc.) so that would be biased.

Better would be for me to send the info to a moderator, have him notify the DOL then the results can be put in a thread. Only problem is the DOL won't care or reply, and no one here cares that much either except you and a few barflys.

LOL LOL LOL

8 hours ago, AloisAmrein said:

Are you a resident or a tourist? If you have the international driving licence, the Thai police cannot prohibit you to drive because this licence is valid also in Thailand.

Oh rubbish I have a Thai License and i drive I have no fears about that because if i could not drive why would they give me a License Dont take to serious what the police say here most Thais dont They are a joke YOU CAN DRIVE I ASSURE YOU

Get real, there is doing virtual work while on vacation vs doing virtual work as a steady state for income. Real example, I worked for a company,, they had an escalation call center,, some of these people were so knowledgeable about mostly legacy technial issues, they could be anywhere. Nobody cared, a cabin in Utah, beach in Thailand, who knows. Should they be required to have a work permit, vs as a US citizen working in Detroit.

9 hours ago, jspill said:

And it's comforting to imagine one day those pesky young 'uns will all be arrested and deported and suddenly all the chicks will be yours for the taking but it doesn't look it's happening.

Haha keep dreamin' bro, keep dreamin'  I do very well in that department but let's get back on topic. As we have said it's illegal but VERY unlikely you will be caught.

13 hours ago, bannork said:

That's it I guess. The cops are just talking about motorbike 'rallies'

With my wife, 2 kids and me in, not driving, in a Honda City we hardly look like a biker gang and the cop gave an unsolicited warning not letting me drive.

13 minutes ago, recycler said:

With my wife, 2 kids and me in, not driving, in a Honda City we hardly look like a biker gang and the cop gave an unsolicited warning not letting me drive.

I gotta guess they are misinterpreting some law or making up their own laws. But hey, it's not like you would win a lawsuit anyway... So what the police say is law in practice... The cost of disobeying is usually higher than the cost of complying...and this is why people dislike cops everywhere in the world...

13 hours ago, recycler said:

This is Thailand, you can be told anything by the police, immigration, Labor or any other ministry or governmental department. What they tell you can be true or their interpretation of the rule / law or something they just make up. It has been said many times on TV what is required at one office is not required at another office. What one cop will fine you for another wont care. You never know.  I had got stopped at a rode block one time with pickup filled with bags of mulch.  The cop told me that only people are allowed in the back of the truck that it cant be used to carry products. Complete BS but I paid the 200B and was on my way.  Maybe the cop was just trying to show he was he boss. You never know.   Dont worry about driving.  Enjoy your trip!!

4 minutes ago, ericthai said:

This is Thailand, you can be told anything by the police, immigration, Labor or any other ministry or governmental department. What they tell you can be true or their interpretation of the rule / law or something they just make up. It has been said many times on TV what is required at one office is not required at another office. What one cop will fine you for another wont care. You never know.  I had got stopped at a rode block one time with pickup filled with bags of mulch.  The cop told me that only people are allowed in the back of the truck that it cant be used to carry products. Complete BS but I paid the 200B and was on my way.  Maybe the cop was just trying to show he was he boss. You never know.   Dont worry about driving.  Enjoy your trip!!

For  real?   In retrospect  you  could  have  maybe  explained  it was  not   mulch   but a  group  of  deceased  remains  on  the  way to a  crematorium. 

• 4 weeks later...
Same in the US. American don't do manual labor, Mexicans do that. Americans will take advantage of welfare until they find jobs that they want to do even though there are plenty of sweaty hard working jobs available.

Yank here. Not quite so.

Americans don't want to take "sweaty hard-working jobs" at shit wages.

I know folks who would be glad to pick lettuce, just not for $1.75/hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 7/2/2017 at 9:32 AM, Rv Hawee said:

Dam keyborad !!!!

The external lecturers are called "special teacher" and they come from  most of the time from other Uni where they work regulary and have already a WP.

The minimum wages requirement is different from company and teaching institution. With a bachelor, in governement institutions, it's a starting 25000 (28???)/month and maybe with some extra (ex. = extra hours teaching, other faculty teaching -  organizing private lessons for students, pupils or even some  company staff).

Usually, they not  busy you with your extra earning but officially we should tell the tax department and it should be taxed at 10% (like the yearly bonus).

A few years back I taught at the revenue Department in Soi Aree. I taught every day for about 6 months and it was one of the best paying extra jobs I have had, 

I didn't pay any tax and I joked with them not to come running at the end of the year demanding thousands of baht tax, They said not to worry. Teaching like that was tax free.

On 6/29/2017 at 0:12 PM, LivinLOS said:

So in short.. You have nothing to counter the direct clear statements from the labour department ?

Your just saying you have got away with it so far, so it has to be legal.. As for the poster above, if your so sure its legal, allow me to report you, I mean, your sure are you not ? 

Yes please go ahead, report me.

Even better, allow me to walk you down to immigration/policestation/court and we both go ask them directly. 

You are pretty smug aren't you. 

On 7/30/2017 at 11:56 AM, midzo said:

Yank here. Not quite so.

Americans don't want to take "sweaty hard-working jobs" at shit wages.

I know folks who would be glad to pick lettuce, just not for $1.75/hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Unfortunately is the White well-paid Americans did take those jobs at THEIR rates,, no one could afford a lettuce....... and who would be the first to complain?

• 1 month later...

My wife owns a little farm that has never been a business, just growing rice to eat or fruit trees, etc...I work there almost every day as I enjoy it and do many different jobs. We don't sell anything. If there is surplus we just donate it to friends or our children's school. Once in a while I hire students who need a little extra cash to come cut grass or pull weeds. I have often wanted to see some clear rules about this. For example, our farm is not a business. We are not selling anything, but I certainly buy a lot!

4 minutes ago, Lunchbob said:

My wife owns a little farm that has never been a business, just growing rice to eat or fruit trees, etc...I work there almost every day as I enjoy it and do many different jobs. We don't sell anything. If there is surplus we just donate it to friends or our children's school. Once in a while I hire students who need a little extra cash to come cut grass or pull weeds. I have often wanted to see some clear rules about this. For example, our farm is not a business. We are not selling anything, but I certainly buy a lot!

Advice mate  Stop what you doing Pull up a chair get some beer and relax The stinking rules state here you cannot work with out a work permit and you get some smart arse immigration official who can see a quick buck in this and bend the rules a bit to make out you are working here then you will be deported I dont think that will happen but dont forget this is Thailand and anything can happen Corruption rules here and if they get  somebody deported its worth big bucks to them

On 6/27/2017 at 4:18 PM, Slavomir said:

Bad news for digital nomads?

Not really. Sitting in front of a laptop is not clearly defined as employment and very difficult to prove, and by the time they catch on, there won't be computers anymore!

1 hour ago, Lunchbob said:

If you get reported you will be in visa trouble. It's unlikely but Thais see it as work a Thai could do and you have no legal status here. Why risk it?

2 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

If you get reported you will be in visa trouble. It's unlikely but Thais see it as work a Thai could do and you have no legal status here. Why risk it?

That would be a shame. I understand farm manager is ok, but regardless I am not in a business. If it is breaking a rule it is so ridiculous because if I stop the whole thing stops.

4 hours ago, Lunchbob said:

That would be a shame. I understand farm manager is ok, but regardless I am not in a business. If it is breaking a rule it is so ridiculous because if I stop the whole thing stops.

Funny Thais see it as work they can do but if you are asked them to do it NO WAY Bunch of lazy buggers is all they are

4 hours ago, Lunchbob said:

I empathize I really do but I don't want you having a visa problem. Keep it discrete knowing that, hopefully not, one day you might have to say "oh sorry I didn't know" and stop.

On 13/09/2017 at 8:31 AM, LannaGuy said:

my wife and me own a pig farm and rice farm my wife wants me to work there i said no way . when i can hire a guy for 300 bath a day .

• 7 months later...
On 27/06/2017 at 7:28 PM, little mary sunshine said:

Throw the bums out....Start with the Russians, Indians,

Nigerians and Chinese !!

And the aging, washed out sexpats. 

And the aging, washed out sexpats. 

Old people working, disgusting. Feed them to the lions. How dare they! Come to Thailand after selling their property back home. Invest that money in Thailand buying a condo, car, etc. And out of boredom get a teaching job as they are mostly qualified with a degree.

If a filthy expat washed out grandad, walzis up to my school I'll be running to the director.
"You're not gunner employ him are yer?" , "He's ancient"
In which she replies "No need, with Thailand's lax law enforcement I don't need teachers on work permits."
"Ha, yeah, we don't need oldies director"
"Still, I do bore of all the Ko Sarn Road 'bird sh1t' I have as teachers. Excuse me, where are you going?"
"Laos, to get a non-ed"
"Argh, another teacher down, call the agency."

Sent from my SM-A700FD using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 6/27/2017 at 4:42 PM, marquess said:

What do they care, it seems that the Thai establishment are always going out of their way to make life harder for foreigners; this is just another example. Legitimately married foreigners ought to be given the right of residency and the right to work.

While we all agree, we all know this is to remain a pipe dream. 

Archived