Non IMM-B to Non-IMM-O change

Hi, for the past 10 years I was on non-imm B visa but recently got a job out of Thailand (will reside here) therefore need to change my visa from B to O without traveling out of country. I have all documents ready (marriage certificate, birth certificates of kids, proof of address, money in bank etc.) but I was told by visa agent that I will receive the visa for 1 month for consideration period and after that will receive 11 months extension. Just wanted to check if anyone has experience in doing this change and what are the rules.

The agent charges 15,000 THB professional fee; 1,900 visa fee + 2x re-entry permit (1x for the 1 month period and 1x for the 11 month extension if required).

You cannot change non immigrant visa categories without going out for a new visa.

If you are on the 90 day entry from a non-b visa issued by an embassy or consulate there would be no change you could apply for an extension of stay based upon marriage.

If you are on an extension of stay based upon working issued by immigration you can change the reason for your extension of stay to marriage. You would first have to cancel you current extension and apply for the new extension of stay.

To apply for an extension of stay based upon marriage you need 400k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months or proof of 40k baht income.

After the application is accepted you will be given a under consideration stamp with a report back date 30 days from when you applied for the extension. When you go back on the report back date you will get the one year extension stamp dated from the date your permit to stay ended.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You cannot change non immigrant visa categories without going out for a new visa.

If you are on the 90 day entry from a non-b visa issued by an embassy or consulate there would be no change you could apply for an extension of stay based upon marriage.

If you are on an extension of stay based upon working issued by immigration you can change the reason for your extension of stay to marriage. You would first have to cancel you current extension and apply for the new extension of stay.

To apply for an extension of stay based upon marriage you need 400k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months or proof of 40k baht income.

After the application is accepted you will be given a under consideration stamp with a report back date 30 days from when you applied for the extension. When you go back on the report back date you will get the one year extension stamp dated from the date your permit to stay ended.

Ubonjoe, thanks for the info. So if my extension of stay end 31 July, I will be give 30 days "under reconsideration" + 12 months extension on 30th August. If I need to leave Thailand in the first 30 days I will need re-entry permit and then another one for the 12 month extension, correct?

For other members, do you have any comments on the fees? My paperwork was handled by HR dept. and visa agent so I have no idea if the fees are OK.

Just now, nowork114 said:

Ubonjoe, thanks for the info. So if my extension of stay end 31 July, I will be give 30 days "under reconsideration" + 12 months extension on 30th August. If I need to leave Thailand in the first 30 days I will need re-entry permit and then another one for the 12 month extension, correct?

For other members, do you have any comments on the fees? My paperwork was handled by HR dept. and visa agent so I have no idea if the fees are OK.

The 12 months will start from 31 July. The 30 days is not an extension is the reason it starts at end of your permit to stay.

If you want to travel during the under consideration period you need a re-entry permit for the 30 days it allows you to stay. Then you would need to get another one for the extension after it is stamped in your passport. 

All the fees for the extension and re-entry permits is correct. Although you may want to get a multiple re-entry permit (3800 baht) after you get the extension stamp instead of a single.

I cannot no comment on the agent fees. You really don't need an agent to do what you want to do.

"For other members, do you have any comments on the fees? My paperwork was handled by HR dept. and visa agent so I have no idea if the fees are OK." 

If you are comfortable paying 15000 Bht for something which costs 1900 Bht(+cost of re-entry permit if required)  then I guess it is OK .

From a personal viewpoint I would never pay an agent to undertake what in essence is a very simple task.